Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using DPA 4061s on a stand - photos?  (Read 2424 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
Using DPA 4061s on a stand - photos?
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:26:05 PM »
Hi guys - I just picked up a pair of DPA 4061s that I would like to use mounted on a mic stand.  I have seen a few photos in the past of folks who had DIY carbon rod and dowell type setups.  Do you have any photos of your set up to mount the 4061s in AB config with about 40cm spacing that you could post for me to see and get some ideas of how to do this where it looks good?  i would prefer not to have to just gob a bunch of stuff together with duct tape.  thanks.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Re: Using DPA 4061s on a stand - photos?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
I have a pic somewhere of my setup I made A-B spaced @ 66cm.  I dig around and see if I can find it.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:13:28 PM »
Here's a few years worth of various stuff I've done - mostly consiting of different ways to rig DPA miniature mics: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=96009.0

Telescopic 'rabbit-ear' style TV antennas work great and allow you to adjust to any spacing you want.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:59:48 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:22:15 PM »
Telescopic 'rabbit-ear' style TV antennas are the bomb, adjust to any spacing you want.

Lee, what are the resonance effects of the antenna.  I know some folks like the carbon fiber bars because of its reduced resonance.  Have you noticed any problems with the rabbit ears???
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 04:58:55 PM »
I've never noticed any stand or support structure related resonance problems.  Carbon fiber is a cool material and has great value in some things, but honestly I'm pretty skeptical of carbon fiber fanboi-ism generally*, and this application lands in that category for me.  Of course from an engineering standpoint, resin impregnated carbon fiber resonates as does any other material, it's just likely to resonate at a different frequency and to a different degree. Has anyone who has reported that recordings made using carbon fiber mic stands and support mechanisms have 'reduced audiotory resonances' ever provided samples or recordings which compare those results to identical recordings made with aluminum or steel support structures?  I'm not saying it's bunk, just that I don't think it's especially important.  Especially since there are so many things that I do consider important which I need to consider 1st.  I often hear room and FOH resonances, so those are the resonant issues that I do concern myself with.  Those are probably orders of magnatude greater than stand vibrations.

If higher frequency resonance is a concern with typical telescopic steel TV antennas, a single strip of gaffer tape both blackens the reflective chrome surface and likely acts as a highly effective vibration damper in what would be that vibratory range- for a few pennys.

Transmision of floor-borne vibration at low frequencies might have more merit, but omnis in general are pretty good at rejecting handling noise.  Again I'd have be be convinced that it's a problem which somehow has escaped my notice.

I'll happily look at anything you can point me to that might  convince me otherwise.

*I'm sometimes involved with the design of equipment for boats and understand the popular facination for carbon fiber.  To me the main benifits of cabon fiber are is strength/weight ratio, and it's sex appeal. But having looked at it for several of our products, I concluded that for my particular applications, aluminum is a superior material in the important aspects of cost, performance, failure mode, fabrication, modification, rework, our existing manufacuting expertice and capabilities, etc.  Where it might have made sense was replacing other reinforced fiber laminates such as fiberglass, but even there, I concluded that the value for us was purely one of marketing, not engineering.  Again, that's as applied to the projects I've been involved with.  Of course there are many applications where carbon fiber is an optimal material choice, such as where using lightest weight possible structure is critical.  But I don't design things like race cars or airplanes, so that doesn't apply to my work.  There are some things we build that are not only about 10 times less costly, but end up being exactly the same weight in aluminum as they wold be in carbon fiber for the same strength and stiffness, for a number of design reasons.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 05:16:13 PM »
^^^^^^  Lee - Thanks for your input.  You have probably done more experimentation in this area than anyone.  And I am a great believer that one test is worth a thousand opinions.  So, I take your info as valid info.

Thanks.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 06:27:26 PM »
Well, I haven't done any experimentation in regards to resonances in these materials, but that's because I just haven't heard a problem or seen the need.  I lean towards the pragmatic aspects first when making stuff.  I have thought about making a carbon fiber tubed version of my quad-eye rig, but mosty because it would be super sexy-cool, and unbreakably-bendy-tough like a fishing pole.  ;)

Seriously Sandy, If you do come across information that might indicate resonance is a issue worth considering, pass it my way.  Thanks.

Offline boojum

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 12:54:50 AM »
Lee, the mention I have seen is over on GS where Onno Schutze is quoted as preferring CF because of its lack of audible resonance.  Now this guy is a serious Tonmeister who has been around the block.

Other than that I have seen nothing, but I have not sought it out either.  Maybe Onno is nuts; maybe not.

Having said that I am soon going to the kite shop for CF tubing to build a mic stand that is light, hard to see, and small.  I will use it for my '61's.  Petrus on GS published pics of an elegant stand he has made.  I am a LibArts guy who does not really understand modulus of elasticity, calculus, or any of that shit.  Ask me about Herbert Hoover's domestic oil policy.  That's something I know about.  ROTFLMAOAPMP.   ;o)

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline boojum

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 12:56:45 AM »
BTW, this is how I do an AB with the '61's on a SabraSom mic bar and a carbon fiber rod.  Yeah, it is homely, but it works.  ;o)
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com