Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NAK CM300 what is a fair price?  (Read 8362 times)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: NAK CM300 what is a fair price?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »
What is the deal with the separate power supply for the MX-100 mixer?  Is it really necessary to have both, which makes using the mixer doubly bulky, or can you power the mixer with an external battery?

As Roger said it is not really necessary to supply the MX100.

In the Nak scheme of things the PS100 wasn't designed to power only the MX100. Nakamichi had a series of "Black Boxes". All of them used the PS100 and all were the same bulky size. Some of the other BB could even be daisy-chained as long as the total power consumption didn't exceed a certain amount (sorry, don't recall what that amount is).
Other Black Boxes were:
SF100 - Subsonic Filter
LA100 - Line Amplifier
BA150 - Bridging Adapter
MB150 - Moving Coil Booster Adapter
EC100 - Electronic Crossover

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 10:05:32 PM »
Odd that they would make the MX100 with unbalanced inputs...why not XLR?  Seems like it would match the output of the mics.  Thanks for the info on the other Nak boxes, I had no idea. 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 11:04:14 PM »
I can't answer why the inputs were unbalanced but Nakamichi's main intended purpose for the MX100 was as a relatively easy way for a Nak home deck owner to be able to record directly into the deck. AFAIK the only decks Nak made with XLR inputs were the MR-1 and MR-2 (not sure about the BX300 which is amazingly similar to the MR1). I also don't recall if Nak's "portable" decks - 250, 350 & 550 - had XLR inputs or not.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »
I can't answer why the inputs were unbalanced but Nakamichi's main intended purpose for the MX100 was as a relatively easy way for a Nak home deck owner to be able to record directly into the deck. AFAIK the only decks Nak made with XLR inputs were the MR-1 and MR-2 (not sure about the BX300 which is amazingly similar to the MR1). I also don't recall if Nak's "portable" decks - 250, 350 & 550 - had XLR inputs or not.

no they did not

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 12:00:17 AM »
Nice stereo racks Darby  ;D
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline creatured

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
OK, if anyone is interested, we have come to terms, but I havent gotten them yet. 225.00

I havent seen them yet, but just the agreed price.  I'll be checking the battery area out. Any other hints?  Guy says perfect condition, but ya know how that can be, but I've had it go both ways, truthful and wishful owners.

So, what recommendations for  a decent XLR pre amp do you guys have for the a D6c and/or Edirol R1. And for a future deck, I might get a Sony D5 or maybe a Marantz 430 or a 360(?)( yes, I like the old school ways), but I would also like to get a good modern deck too at some point when I'll have some extra money again.   Also, what about stands or a stealthy way to use the NAKS, if stealth is even possible. Maybe wrong q for this section.

Thanks for all help.
NAK CM300 CP1, Teac ME-80 & 120(soon to get shorter), JVC M510,
 CA11, Panasonic Stereo Shotgun VHS Camera
Edirol R1 & Sony D6c
CA9000

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
OK, if anyone is interested, we have come to terms, but I havent gotten them yet. 225.00

I havent seen them yet, but just the agreed price.  I'll be checking the battery area out. Any other hints?  Guy says perfect condition, but ya know how that can be, but I've had it go both ways, truthful and wishful owners.

So, what recommendations for  a decent XLR pre amp do you guys have for the a D6c and/or Edirol R1. And for a future deck, I might get a Sony D5 or maybe a Marantz 430 or a 360(?)( yes, I like the old school ways), but I would also like to get a good modern deck too at some point when I'll have some extra money again.   Also, what about stands or a stealthy way to use the NAKS, if stealth is even possible. Maybe wrong q for this section.

Thanks for all help.
Are those mics in your hat, or are you just glad to see me? ( Mae West voice) Def. not stealth mics :laugh:

Offline weedwacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »

Thanks for all help.

Price sounds about right. I recently bought a set of 3 with everything for $210.00 but one of the mics needs to be repaired(loose wire on the battery connector needs resoldering). If you are going to stealth record you definately want to have them chopped down in size. Busman audio can do this mod since they've done it for other people I know who have the same mics. It is a standard mod and usually also involves changing the connectors to mini-xlr and either staying on battery power or modded to run on phantom power. I've heard of people modifying these mics to run on AA's and even CR123A batteries. If you are going to run phantom power one option is to have naiant build you a preamp to whatever specs you want and have the mics modded to the same. The other option is buy a recorder with builtin phantom power capability. I personally like the idea of keeping them running on batteries after modification but there are advantages to going either way with them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com