Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need to replace my AT822: NT4?  (Read 11907 times)

Offline Breeze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Need to replace my AT822: NT4?
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:09:16 AM »
I got my AT822 stolen some time ago. Despite it's limitations I really liked this mic and got some great SFX and ambiance captures with it. Because I'm more of a sound hunter than a music recorder, I prefer to have a simple compact mic setup because I'm constantly moving around; one cable to the A/D is ideal.

I've been looking around and for the price the Rode NT4 looks like the best bet. It's Fq response is full 20-20k Hz and is smoother than anything else I've managed to find in this price range; and the <16 dB SPL noise figure is very respectable.

I haven't found anything to match it overall; does anyone concur or have anything else to suggest? Are there serious caveats I should know about? I've looked at the recent AT's, but they have funky Fq curves and limited ranges. I've read people complain about them on these boards. There doesn't seem to be much else in decent one-point stereo mics in this price range. Thanks.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
Re: Need to replace my AT822: NT4?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »
I got my AT822 stolen some time ago. Despite it's limitations I really liked this mic and got some great SFX and ambiance captures with it. Because I'm more of a sound hunter than a music recorder, I prefer to have a simple compact mic setup because I'm constantly moving around; one cable to the A/D is ideal.

I've been looking around and for the price the Rode NT4 looks like the best bet. It's Fq response is full 20-20k Hz and is smoother than anything else I've managed to find in this price range; and the <16 dB SPL noise figure is very respectable.

I haven't found anything to match it overall; does anyone concur or have anything else to suggest? Are there serious caveats I should know about? I've looked at the recent AT's, but they have funky Fq curves and limited ranges. I've read people complain about them on these boards. There doesn't seem to be much else in decent one-point stereo mics in this price range. Thanks.

I do a lot of sound capture myself and was looking at the Avantone CK-40, but it may be cumbersome for your uses.

The AT4050ST is well recommended here by one user and it seems the limited range stated by AT is not a problem. The mic will capture plenty of high freq information.

Refurbished models are going for about 1/2 price on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-AT4050ST-AT4050-ST-Stereo-Condenser-B-/290552765508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a64b5c44

I read some negative comments about the Rode, but I can't remember where or what was said. Just left me with a bad feeling about it.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
If you really like the AT822, why don't you buy another one?  They are not hard to find used either here in the Yard Sale or on eBay.  Or, get an AT825 if you want a balanced output; they are pretty easy to find too.

Offline Breeze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 10:33:09 AM »
I do a lot of sound capture myself and was looking at the Avantone CK-40, but it may be cumbersome for your uses.
I saw the CK-40 and it looked good, but it's definitely too big for my purposes.

The AT4050ST is well recommended here by one user and it seems the limited range stated by AT is not a problem. The mic will capture plenty of high freq information.
This is the only AT model I found a serious contender. I'm interested in doing MS and I could have my cake and eat it too with this one. It's strange though that with XY at 90 degrees the S/N falls to 69 dB. In MS it's above 77 dB (?).

But I don't know what's going on with AT's current lineup of stereo mics: if you check the Fq response charts, they're pretty flat to about 5k and then there's major Fq response spikes on every one of them. With the 4050, combined with a steep roll-off starting around 14k, you've looking at 15 dB's of variation from 10k to 20k. Even the lowly 822 looks better. Weird.

I read some negative comments about the Rode, but I can't remember where or what was said. Just left me with a bad feeling about it.
Yeah, I remember reading some negative comments about the NT4 too. I'm wondering about other things like wind sensitivity and handling noise, and how delicate it is.

If you really like the AT822, why don't you buy another one?  They are not hard to find used either here in the Yard Sale or on eBay.  Or, get an AT825 if you want a balanced output; they are pretty easy to find too.
Good question: I found the AT822 somewhat noisy when recording quieter environments. I was hoping to step up to something with a better S/N. But it's not a bad idea to get an 825 and save up for something better. Thanks.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:40:29 AM »
While more expensive, it would be an upgrade: audio-technica bp4025.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
But it's not a bad idea to get an 825 and save up for something better. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280709054580&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123

No affiliation.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Breeze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »
While more expensive, it would be an upgrade: audio-technica bp4025.
Check the frequency response in the high end on the BP4025 page (open the hi-res graphic at the bottom of the page). Compare it to the one on the AT825 page.
 :(

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
I bought the new AT2022 and was really surprised with how nice it sounds for the price. plus it has two settings

specs
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a2c67abf775c91bf/index.html

Offline Breeze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »
I bought the new AT2022 and was really surprised with how nice it sounds for the price. plus it has two settings
Hey thanks! I sortof dismissed this one because it's not phantom powered, but the Fq plot looks smoother than most of the others in the current AT stereo lineup and the S/N is better than the 825 by 5 dBs. The punch line is that it's cheaper than the 825 (B&H has it at $249). Good call! I think this might make a good interim mike for me.

Question: can you set the mics anywhere from 90 to 120 degrees? 

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 12:24:05 AM »
Also, is there an obvious way to hack the 2022 so the mics point outward?  I realize L-R will reverse, no biggy if it allows for near-coincident arrangements.  Got any samples?

Offline Breeze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 01:13:03 AM »
Also, is there an obvious way to hack the 2022 so the mics point outward?  I realize L-R will reverse, no biggy if it allows for near-coincident arrangements.

Interesting question; one cool thing about these unbalanced stereo mics is that they'll be figure-8-ish if connected to a standard XLR balanced input, with the common center signals cancelled by being treated as out-of-phase at the head amp. They could be used this way as the Side mic of an MS pair; I wonder if that might not work better if the mics point outwards.

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 03:20:56 AM »
I'm using a NT4 for three years both for music and field recording. I'm happy with it and never had any issue; handling noise is more than acceptable and could be further reduced with a Rode pistol grip shock mount; its S/N is good enough for nature and ambient recordings.
I have no direct experience with any AT stereo mic, therefore I can't do any comparison.

If you like to listen to some field recordings you find them on my soundcloud page (http://soundcloud.com/moooose):
- Night ferry droning, First up then down and Gloria in excelsis Deo were recorded with the NT4>SD 702 (P48);
- Zen gathering, new year's eve and One-stop ride in Milan subway were recorded with the NT4>Sony D 50 (pip).

If you like, I can PM you some concert recording samples, let me know.

Offline Breeze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »
If you like to listen to some field recordings you find them on my soundcloud page (http://soundcloud.com/moooose):
- Night ferry droning, First up then down and Gloria in excelsis Deo were recorded with the NT4>SD 702 (P48);
- Zen gathering, new year's eve and One-stop ride in Milan subway were recorded with the NT4>Sony D 50 (pip).

If you like, I can PM you some concert recording samples, let me know.
Nice bass extension and clarity on this mic. And the noise floor is practically imperceptible on the Zen track. At 480 grams without a pistol grip it seems a little heavy and it's quite big too. But it's definitely a candidate. Thanks for the info and samples, moooose! It would be nice to compare it to some AT2022 sampels.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »
Hey thanks! I sortof dismissed this one because it's not phantom powered, but the Fq plot looks smoother than most of the others in the current AT stereo lineup and the S/N is better than the 825 by 5 dBs. The punch line is that it's cheaper than the 825 (B&H has it at $249). Good call! I think this might make a good interim mike for me.

Question: can you set the mics anywhere from 90 to 120 degrees?

YOu can set the mics at 90 or 120 with a little click. haven't tried to set in between. the 120 sounded great onstage. I bought it as a lightweight idiot-proof rig that anybody could run. it plugs directly into the M10.

Offline Breeze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »
I'd just like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I just ordered an AT2022 from The Sound Professionals today. They have a $60 rebate on it till the end of the month, making it a cool $199. I'll post again after I've tried it out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com