Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Want To Buy DPA Mics 4060's VS. 4061's Looking For Your Thoughts  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Want To Buy DPA Mics 4060's VS. 4061's Looking For Your Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »
Hi,

I am looking to move up to/buy a pair of DPA mics for use when recording mostly loud blues & rock shows. I currently use SP-CMC-8's, Sonic Studios DSM6, a Rode NT4, and AKG 414's & 460's when needed. (Both sets of AKG's were owned Rick B, famous Chicago taper like me. lol  He used to record many of his Chicago shows of old like his Pink Floyd 87 shows with these mics. I bought them many years ago and used the 414'S & 460'S on tour with the DEAD for many years. Both pairs are for sale and will be posted here)

From reading about DPA mics, it seems that the 4060's are better for louder blues shows, rock shows than the 4061's. I see that that many tapers use the Tinybox for the mics and then to their recorder. All your thoughts, comments and suggestions on the best DPA mics and best stealth setup with the DPA's would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer a used matched pair to save a few dollars, but could buy new.

Thanks

Get the 4061 if you are going to get mics you dont want overload use a 9v battery box or better yet a preamp and you should be set for all your recording for the type of stuff you do. The 4060 will overload in some situations. And you wont know it until you get the recording home and listen.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »
Hi CB,

I bought the DPA4060 kit and have run them with my little box. I have put the 4060 on stage with a loud reggae band and they did hit max SPL. Though from our normal taping situations farther back in the venue never had them hit max SPL. Check http://www.sweetwaveaudio.com/ for prices. Sometimes there are cheaper then the advertize price on the web. Though you need to call them. I live close to their location and have picked up many items there...

http://www.sweetwaveaudio.com/sales/microphones/3387-dpa-smk4060.html

Good luck.

Patrick
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:37:02 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »
I have good luck with 4061's and a 9v bb (have both Church and Sound Pros versions) to a 24 bit recorder. Works for both quiet acoustic and loud amplified sets. 

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »
> From reading about DPA mics, it seems that the 4060's are better for louder blues shows, rock shows than the 4061's.

Both will handle high sound pressure levels, but the 4061s put out a lower level signal, so they are less likely to overload the mic pre-amps in your recorder than the 4060s. For recording loud music, we strongly recommend the 4061s.

These days, with these mics and with most recorders, you don't need an external pre-amp. Modern recorders' internal mic preamps match the self-noise spec of the DPAs well, and you won't gain anything by using an external pre.

Our High End Binaural mic set (HEBs - using the 4060x-series mics) are very tightly matched for binaural use. We match them tighter than DPA's matched pairs. And our HEB battery box is quite a bit more rugged than DPA's own now-discontinued battery box.

Read more about the HEBs here: http://www.core-sound.com/bk/1.php

We see lots of second-hand mics bought on eBay come through our shop. Some are okay but many of them are really beat. And it's rare that we get a pair that match, even if you stretch the meaning of "matched".
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:15:26 AM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline ChicagoBlues

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »
To Len, Chris and everyone else who gave me there experienced input.. THANK YOU

Looks like I will be going to get a pair of DPA 4061's. That is what I was wanting to get but you guys reaffirmed that decision for me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.!

Dave
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 03:06:55 PM by ChicagoBlues »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com