Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rear-facing audience mics: Wow. New links added.  (Read 11624 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Rear-facing audience mics: Wow. Clip link.
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:32 PM »
Any chance you can post the same clip with just the forward facing mics as a comparison?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
I've run rear cards a few times for a 4 channel surround mix, but ended up preferring upward facing cards for this mix. it's an interesting listen and does give a cool "you're there" feeling on playback

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
Any chance you can post the same clip with just the forward facing mics as a comparison?
Are you directing this question to me?  I'm out of town right now, but can do that when I get back.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 04:34:59 PM »
Are you directing this question to me?  I'm out of town right now, but can do that when I get back.

Yes, sir. And thanks!

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Rear-facing audience mics: Wow.
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 06:45:20 PM »
Here's a link to a clip in which the rearward-facing pair was mixed in at -4 dB.  EQ'd the singer's voice a bit; I found his timbre + the mic choice (I guess an SM58) too hashy.  Biggest environmental noise in this clip is the giggling baby.

https://soundcloud.com/backwoodsman-1/ts-clip/s-Ow9cW

sounds good.  can you post the same sample minus the rear facing mics?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 11:16:15 AM »
See answer immediately above.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 08:55:25 AM »
Yes, you have to invert the phase.  I can't imagine what a PIA this would have been pre-DAW.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
No rule, just whichever works best.  I don't invert phase as a rule, sometimes yes, but often not.  Depends on a number of things like pickup pattern, microphone location compared to the other mics, etc.

Think of it this way- If using omnis as rearward facing mics would you invert polarity? Why?  That would intentionally switch them out of polarity with the main mics.  Similarly if using cardioids.  A positive pressure on the diaphragm creates a positive output signal. Output level varies with the angle of incidence, yet the phase polarity of that output remains positive regardless of the angle of incidence.  With directional patterns which have reverse polarity lobes, and spaced configurations where distance and time of arrival differences may make certain frequencies out of phase with the main mics, the answer might be different.

Easy enough to listen both ways and just choose whichever is the better sounding option.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:36:08 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: Rear-facing audience mics: Wow.
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »
Here's a link to a clip in which the rearward-facing pair was mixed in at -4 dB.  EQ'd the singer's voice a bit; I found his timbre + the mic choice (I guess an SM58) too hashy.  Biggest environmental noise in this clip is the giggling baby.

Dude that is a smoking recording!!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
Soundcloud link, forward-facing Mk. 5 pair alone:

https://soundcloud.com/backwoodsman-1/forward-facing-mics-alone

Soundcloud link, SBD + forward-facing Mk. 5 pair (50/50 mix)

https://soundcloud.com/backwoodsman-1/sbd-plus-forward-facing-mics

Soundcloud link with SBD + forward facing + rearward facing mics (SBD and forward pair 50/50 (0 dB); rear mics at -4dB)

Soundcloud link with SBD + rear-facing mics (ambient mics mixed at -4dB as with others)

https://soundcloud.com/backwoodsman-1/sbd-plus-rear-facing-pair

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:39:06 PM by boltman »

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 03:01:06 PM »
Soundcloud link, forward-facing Mk. 5 pair alone:

https://soundcloud.com/backwoodsman-1/forward-facing-mics-alone

Soundcloud link, SBD + forward-facing Mk. 5 pair (50/50 mix)

https://soundcloud.com/backwoodsman-1/sbd-plus-forward-facing-mics

Soundcloud link with SBD + forward facing + rearward facing mics (SBD and forward pair 50/50 (0 dB); rear mics at -4dB)

Thanks!

Offline Gutbucket

Re: Rear-facing audience mics: Wow. New links added.
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »
Great examples.  Especially since this is a good AUD recording to start with, and each additional element improves upon it, producing something outstanding.

Good well-balanced clarity on one hand, combined with good depth and dimension which conveys a sense of being there on the other, are the major contributors to what makes a technically great live recording in my way of thinking.  Sharp imaging is great too, but much less important in the grand scheme of things.  It's best when imaging stands atop a foundation provided by those other things, adding another layer of auditory excitement.  Without them good imaging in a live recording is uninvolving and worthless on its own.  Of course a great performance is foremost, but like the audience reaction and behavior, that part is not within our control.

This is why I think about how to best go about making live recordings primarily in terms of the direct and reverberant sound components: getting a clear up-front direct component balanced against a natural sounding, enveloping and spacious ambient/reverberant component, and then only secondarily think about things in terms of Left/Right and the imaging aspects.  It's why I'd consider a well balanced SBD + ambient pair recording without any traditional AUD pair as a reasonable and perhaps optimal choice for many situations when limited to 4 channels.  I've advocated for that around here previously for that very reason.

In light of that I'd love to hear just the rear audience facing mics + SBD if you have the time and motivation to post yet another sample. 

I'd venture that it's probably not that bad a choice and may compare far more favorably against the MK5 + SBD sample than many readers might think.  Conceptually the suggestion is to think about the role of each part: the SBD is the direct stuff, the rear facing mics the ambient stuff, and the forward facing pair the imaging stuff.  It’s not really that segregated, there is ambience from the forward pair and may be imaging in the SBD, but the point is that it can be very useful and freeing to think of it that way instead of coming from a traditional mindset of main AUD pair plus whatever else we can get to spice that up with.  The problem is it just seems wrong to not consider a standard AUD stereo pair as the starting point, but rather as the garnish, adding the final touch of imaging, gluing the SBD and ambience pair together.

In this case the AUD is a very good starting point to begin with; the SBD adds the sweet, dry, direct up-front clarity and clean transients; the rear-facing microphones add a richer sense of depth and dimension which allows me to imagine myself there.  That part is too often lacking in even professionally produced live releases.  This is an example what we can do as tapers that even the pro's often can't get right.  The subtle magic only happens when all this important stuff is all working together well enough.  We can put the listener right there in the heat of it and really convey the magical essence of the live experience, rather than sounding like an up-front studio recorded pan-potted multi-track with super instrument separation never heard live and oddly distant diffuse applause at a much lower level as if we are suddenly yanked up out of the audience into a blimp between songs, listening to them enjoying the concert far down below.  Even the best professional live recordings often sound like that to me.  It's as if they either don't really know what it's like to be there, or purposefully prefer a more abstracted experience.  The professional recordings may be fantastic sounding and enjoyable, but no top professional production ever has the guts to really put the listener sonically right there in the impact zone with the audience.  An individual fan might curse or something.  Depending on the goal, we can sometimes do it better than the pros. No matter what we do it's all an abstraction but I like my abstractions of the live music experience to be convincingly concrete.

Apologies for the rant!

Thanks for posting the additional samples, and for starting the thread. 

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »
Lee, I posted the additional SBD + rear-facing pair in my post above.  I listened to it, and I agree with your assessment that it can be as valuable (and perhaps, as you argue, more valuable) than a forward-facing pair if you only have four tracks.

Thanks for a really great essay about the aesthetics of taping. I appreciate that there is a craft to learn, and that we can control more parameters than we think, often from just one physical position at a show.  In the "olden days" I taped shows by throwing up a pair of Nak shotguns and hoping I caught something, or else I used my Sonic Studios on eyeglasses; I did pull some great tapes from both of them, probably more than I should have. 

In addition to TS, I have learned a ton about good sound from a FOH I'm friends with.  He has incredibly good ears, and he knows how to mix great-sounding SBDs.  He told me the other day that he has paid much more attention to his SBD mix because I'm taping it.  So there's a cool, synergistic thing going on there.  More importantly, I have gained skill in identifying what makes a live sound mix sound great, which is also very helpful in identifying how to improve a not-so-great live mix in post. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:59:14 PM by boltman »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 11:27:06 PM »
Thanks for the links! This thread had perked my interest a bit and a big +t you for experimenting and sharing your results.

I listened to the 2nd and 3rd source (sbd + fwd mics and sbd + fwd + rear ambient respectively) several times and without question I'm favoromg the the sbd + fwd source as the best mix of the three. I thought the rear facing mics detracted significantly from the SNR and 'presence' of the recording and it feels as though you are 15-20 ft further back versus the source with only forward facing mics + sbd.

One thing I liked about the 3rd clip was that it included a significant portion of the applause between songs, whereas the first two clips are trimmed to just the song. It's probably a lot of work, but it would be interesting to hear the differences as they pertain to the crowd and may better illustrate the increased sound stage. It did give a really nice "you're there" feeling, to use SCB's words, but really only during the applause. During the song, the perceived increase in distance from the sound source did not have the same pleasing effect, at least, not for me.

One other note, the 3rd clip sounds like the avg levels are maybe ~1 dB less than the 2nd clip, so that might have some bearing on how the two sources are perceived. I didn't measure it in a DAW, but it sounded a bit quieter overall.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:32:55 PM by hi and lo »

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 07:21:04 AM »
There is a level difference between those two clips, and I realized it when I uploaded, but just let it go for the sake of getting the clips up.  You're right that the clips weren't exactly the same in where they started and stopped--it was just a quick copy and paste.  It is true that the ambient mics are most noticeable during applause, too.

The thing about back channels in this venue is, as you point out, noise.  And in this case, it includes a tremendous amount of ambient noise.  As I have mentioned before, there must be at least 6 train passes per show, in addition to ambulances, sirens, traffic, dogs, children, motorcycles and the like.  Even when it's quiet there, it's not quiet.  So that probably adds to an overall perception of "noise."  There are several quiet acoustic tunes during the show and I removed the rear pair:  it was just too noisy and distracting.  What I did like, however, was that the rear mics gave me more information about where this was "in space."  I suppose that the effect of those audio cues for some people feels like "you are there," and for others, it simply adds noise or makes the stage feel more distant.  I like the fact that we're all, to some degree, different here, and I enjoy hearing about perceptual and aesthetic differences in how we hear things.  Thanks for your thoughts.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com