Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommend an Outdoor Windscreen for Schoeps CMC6/mk4  (Read 3263 times)

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
Recommend an Outdoor Windscreen for Schoeps CMC6/mk4
« on: April 08, 2006, 10:55:05 PM »
could i please get some recommendations for a nice, solid OUTDOOR windscreen for Schoeps CMC6/mk4 mics? thanks as always for your input.

Dennis
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: Recommend an Outdoor Windscreen for Schoeps CMC6/mk4
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 11:06:53 PM »
What's your budget? 

$30 - Large DPA's   DPA DUA0896

$60 - Shure A81WS

>$100 - Rycote Softie,  BBG, etc

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 11:11:48 PM »
thanks DG...sonicsense has the dpa for $14 :D

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 11:15:02 PM »
I ordered mine from Dale Pro Audio.  They were right around the same price.   You may want to look into the "dead Rat" mod for them if you tape in real windy conditions. 

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 11:34:21 PM »
thanks again DG...just ordered from SS.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 03:18:33 AM »
FWIW, I've found the DPA UA0896 insufficient for anything but light wind.  The Shure A81WS, on the other hand, have performed quite well even in very strong winds.  I use the UA0896 indoors for protection against falls, smoke, and HVAC systems.  I use the Shure A81WS outdoors.  YMMV.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 07:22:08 AM »
Schoeps make a huge range of different windshields for their own mics, both for general use and special purpose designs for specific mic configurations and capsule types. I've tried quite a lot of windshields on Schoeps mics and I usually end up coming back to the Schoeps designs. They're expensive but seem to be the most effective in most situations. The ones I use are (in order of effectiveness):

B5 - ok for light speech pops but not much use outdoors on anything other than an omni in a very light draught
W5 - stops pretty much any speech popping and works quite well outdoors on omnis in light/medium breezes
(B5 and W5 are only really effective on omnis - with directional mics they don't do much - I just mention them to make clear that though they look alike, they're not the same as the D version windshields.)

B5D - about the size of a standard B5 and almost as effective as the much larger W5
W5D - same idea as the B5D - much more effective than the standard W5
(B5D and W5D are the directional mic versions of the B5/W5 - they're much more effective and work very well on omni mics too. A B5D will stop most close mic popping on opera singers (as used on the Three Tenors) whilst remaining small enough not to upset TV directors or the singer's ego! ;)

W20 - excellent performance even in quite high breezes. I use these a lot for orchestral micing on outdoor concerts where no matter how good the weather during the rehearsal, the breeze always seems to increase on the evening show. ::) (They also protect the capsule from all but persistent quite heavy rain where you can hear the raindrops hitting the cover.)
W20R1 - Again, I use these for outdoor orchestral stuff - especially on any mic that's high up or could be exposed to wind/rain. I've used these in weather conditions bad enough to have shows suspended and where the driving rain and wind are strong enough to blow a mic stand over - all I heard was the sound becoming dull and a muffled thud as the mic hit the deck - no wind noise.

BBG - I've not used it on it's own
BBG+Windjammer (squirrelskin) - Probably the best solution to extreme weather conditions. Protects the mic from the kind of weather that would stop any sensible musician going on stage!

Of course, generally, the more effective the weather/wind protection, the greater the sonic colouration. If you don't mind some extra colouration, you can add a Neumann WNS100 (KM100 windshield) inside a W20/W20R1/BBG for even more windproofing. (The Schoeps B5 is a bit too big and touches the inside of the basket if used in this way.)

The other windshields that I've found really good are the DPA Windpacs (blimp). It looks a bit odd but is extraordinarily effective and still a bit less visually obtrusive than the full basket/dead squirrel option.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 09:31:01 AM »
thanks for the great advice guys!!! take care.

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:32:57 AM »
I haven't ran my dpa's with "dead rat" mod with the schoeps yet, but with my AKG's they were pretty good for most breezes I've encountered.  There was some wind noise during the raq lew-au, if I remember correctly, but that was also the same wind that snapped a couple of my tent poles, so it's not really surprising. 

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 10:44:24 AM »
I'd love to have the W20R1's but @ $192 a crack I'll stick with the big-ass shure screens which have worked like a champ for me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.157 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com