Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: End of an era....no more AT853's (SP-CMC-4's).....but.....  (Read 11648 times)

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
End of an era....no more AT853's (SP-CMC-4's).....but.....
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:06:13 PM »
Hello all:

I'm not looking to sell anything here, but since so many of you have these mics, I thought I would announce this in this forum as it might interest quite a few folks.

The SP-CMC-4 using the AT853's are gone forever. The have been replaced with the new U853 (now called the SP-CMC-4U in the stereo pair configuration), which has a new RFI shielded all-metal body, smoother off axis response, better bass response, flatter highs, less self noise and more dynamic range.

More info is available on our website, for those who are interested.

Thanks

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc
800-213-3021
www.soundprofessionals.com

Offline RedRocketSr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'd rather be lucky than good.
Re: End of an era....no more AT853's (SP-CMC-4's).....but.....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 12:49:22 AM »
thanks for the update chris. any free samples?
SP-CMC2 --> SP-SPSB1 --> JB3

Offline JaL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 03:26:23 AM »
I'm not looking to sell anything here

Really?

which has a new RFI shielded all-metal body, smoother off axis response, better bass response, flatter highs, less self noise and more dynamic range.

Those a objective truths? Not that I'm offended by this product information, the combination of "not looking to sell" and the "information" looks funny.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 05:10:26 AM »

Really?

which has a new RFI shielded all-metal body, smoother off axis response, better bass response, flatter highs, less self noise and more dynamic range.

Those a objective truths? Not that I'm offended by this product information, the combination of "not looking to sell" and the "information" looks funny.

Chris is cool.  Check out his old posts if you don't believe me...

End of an era is true, AT853 has been standard for years.  Improvement is true as well.  Time will tell how much this matters to tapers, but this is a revised/improved version of a very solid mic.  I'm almost tempted to buy a new pair to play with :).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 05:52:26 AM »
Lay off fella. Chris is a great guy.

Really?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 09:25:52 AM »

RFI shield alll-metal body, lower self-noise, greater dynamic range, and maybe (depending on how much stock one puts into frequency response plots) smoother off-axis and better bass response and flatter highs sound objective to me.  The latter three maybe not so much.  But still, keep in mind huge amounts of feedback on TS are purely subjective.  Besides, compared to some other retailers who constantly push their product, this is an isolated, tame incident from Chris that actually provides some useful information to people, i.e. discontinued / replaced product.  Thanks for the heads up, Chris. :coolguy:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 09:32:09 AM »
Chris is a great guy, very helpful!!!

So these new U853's....  Are the capsules the same or are both the body and capsules new?  Are the old bodys/capsules interchangable with the new ones?  It says they offer a Uniline shotgun capsule for these mics?  Is this similar to the Microline capsules for the AT943's?  
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 10:57:39 AM »

As Brian notes above, RFI shielding is an objective truth.  Can't really comment on the off-axis response.  Better bass response, flatter highs, lower self noise and more dynamic range are all borne out by the specs provided by Audio Technica and my own experience with the hypercardioid capsules from the old and new lines.  It's not a night and day difference, but I like the new sound better.

That said, I'm not going to rush out to replace my other caps or my old AT853 bodies.

windorabug:  The capsules are new but compatible with the old bodies.  I have used capsules from the old line with my new U873R bodies, and my new hyper caps with the old AT853 bodies, with no problems.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:00:05 AM by Will_S »

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 12:01:16 PM »
Hi,
  Thanks for the info Chris...

Peace,
jk

ps: Cut Chris some slack man, he's a good guy... :D
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline JaL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »

Hey, I just thought it sounded funny. I own two pairs of mics from SoundPro and also think it's a good company to buy stuff from.

Offline RedRocketSr

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 02:09:51 PM »
hey, i never said a bad word or wasn't picking on chris. i just thought that since i thanked him first the update (I have SP mics myself), i might get a free sample. Still waiting on word about that.
SP-CMC2 --> SP-SPSB1 --> JB3

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 03:56:22 PM »
This could lead to a fall out in AT 853 prices?

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 04:06:31 PM »

Hey, I just thought it sounded funny. I own two pairs of mics from SoundPro and also think it's a good company to buy stuff from.

Ok, then what's the problem?  Chris is making an announcement that the cmc-4's are no longer in production and have been replaced by a better mic (subjective?  maybe..).  I think soundpro has some of the best customer service out there.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 08:20:08 PM »
thanks for the update chris. any free samples?

He he.....hey, as soon as Audio Technica starts handing out free samples of their mics, I'll be the first to pass them on :-)

Chris

Offline soundpro

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 08:24:23 PM »

Really?

Yes, really. There are other forums for that. I was just passing along the basic info and a link to the more detailed specs (which are on our site).

I summarized the changes in the new design. You can see the spefic specs on our site and Audio Technica's site.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com