Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The clapper that doesn't go away.  (Read 2862 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
The clapper that doesn't go away.
« on: April 18, 2022, 08:47:45 AM »
So what's your preferred method. Software choice. I have Adobe Audition and basically just zoom in and carefully decrease the gain. There's got to be a better way, especially when it's throughout the recording.  :shrug:

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: The clapper that doesn't go away.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 09:19:30 AM »
Sure... a cattle prod.

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 09:30:58 AM »
So what's your preferred method. Software choice. I have Adobe Audition and basically just zoom in and carefully decrease the gain. There's got to be a better way, especially when it's throughout the recording.  :shrug:

I've used Izotope Declicker before. It's meant for getting rid of clicks in the context of vinyl transfers, and it works pretty well with clapping, especially if you can go in and individually identify the claps.

I recorded North Mississippi Allstars, and at a show, Luther was playing this nice quiet acoustic number. There was a guy who was clapping on beat and it was so loud that Luther shot him a glance, smiled and made the "cut it" sign. I think I was able to eliminate that clapping (or at least reduce it to a quiet level) with Declicker
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 10:28:45 AM »
In Audacity, I use the limiter for this. but mostly for clapping it can't be "automated". I zoom in on on the sample, go to limiter, set it to "hard limit" then take it down way below music level, say -5 to -7 dB. 
Oh, this is after I have amplified the levels to within 0.2 dB peak, THEN I do the limiting. Which, once completed, allows you to lift the levels even more
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 11:01:49 AM »

I've used Izotope Declicker before. It's meant for getting rid of clicks in the context of vinyl transfers, and it works pretty well with clapping, especially if you can go in and individually identify the claps.

I recorded North Mississippi Allstars, and at a show, Luther was playing this nice quiet acoustic number. There was a guy who was clapping on beat and it was so loud that Luther shot him a glance, smiled and made the "cut it" sign. I think I was able to eliminate that clapping (or at least reduce it to a quiet level) with Declicker

Yep, RX8 de-click works great.  These are my usual parameters..

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline daze

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 11:12:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing your settings.  Just last night I was fiddling in rx8 on this very issue.  Do you apply this across the entire recording in one fell swoop or do you just try to apply it to the segments where the clapping is most offensive?

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 12:05:17 PM »
+1 on RX7 De-Click.  One setting for all applications rarely works but may be a good starting point. I extract a half dozen or so short sections containing the clapping and not containing the clapping, about 3-4 minutes in total. Then run and save the short excerpt and listen. Adjust as necessary. Then run the final proper setting on the whole file. If any problem parts remain, hit with volume reduction between tracks, and/or a higher setting on those problem areas.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 01:00:29 PM »
Absolutely RX De-click the first line of defense!
I keep mine on the Random Click dropdown menu. I find for most of the recordings I've made, Frequency Skew at 0.0, Sensitivity at 6.5 and Click Widening at 1.7 seems to be a pretty useful setting. It gets rid of almost all or most of the claps.

Of course, there are some "thick" claps that are really tough to knock down. In that case I check the Click's Only box and adjust the sliders as a previous poster mentioned. This way I can hear when the De-Click starts to interfere with any music.

Once a song ends, there's usually lots of screaming and clapping. It's really bright yellow in the Spectrogram display setting I use. So after De-Click, I'll go in and "paint" over the brightest/loudest crowd noise and "Attenuate" with Spectral Repair. Usually it lowers the crowd enough so if listening with headphones, there's no blow the ears out loudness. Sometimes, it'll sound more like a dropout, but it's easy to go back one step and try again. I'll also paint across all the whistles at the top of the display.

BTW, if the recording was made at an outside show and there was wind noise, since I only have the Standard version of RX (without the De-Wind module), I can often knock down some of the wind which shows up as a batch of "spikes" at the very bottom of the Spectrogram display.

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 01:12:45 PM »
In Audacity, I use the limiter for this. but mostly for clapping it can't be "automated". I zoom in on on the sample, go to limiter, set it to "hard limit" then take it down way below music level, say -5 to -7 dB. 
Oh, this is after I have amplified the levels to within 0.2 dB peak, THEN I do the limiting. Which, once completed, allows you to lift the levels even more

I'll try that. I'm sure audition has that feature. I'm doing it one at a time now anyway. Also been looking for an excuse to dive into RX8.

Offline flask

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 02:36:06 PM »
There was a guy who was clapping on beat and it was so loud that Luther shot him a glance, smiled and made the "cut it" sign. I think I was able to eliminate that clapping (or at least reduce it to a quiet level) with Declicker

Even worse are the ones that can't manage to clap on beat.  :banging head:
Mics: AKG C480B CK61/CK63 | AT943C/O
Pre/Pwr: UA-5 wmod | SPSB-1 | Baby nbox
Recorders: TCD-D7 | NJB3 | DR-680mkii | PCM-A10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 03:21:59 PM »
I don't have RX, but have used the similar click/pop removal function in Samplitude which works nicely when set correctly.  Adding this comment simply to emphasize that if whatever DAW software you happen to be using features a similar function, it's worth giving it a try for clap attenuation.

There was a guy who was clapping on beat and it was so loud that Luther shot him a glance, smiled and made the "cut it" sign. I think I was able to eliminate that clapping (or at least reduce it to a quiet level) with Declicker

I once recorded something with a friend where it seemed the majority of the folks in the audience were all clap-along happy older white women, who true to stereotype, were all awkwardly attempting to clap on the 1 & 3 as loud as possible, with random weak starts and trail offs, very few of them even close to successful at keeping steady time.  It was downright ugly.  This evening of music was ironically followed the next by an audience dominated by Latin music fans who all seemed blessed with incredible timing and inherent level awareness, starting up only in the appropriate parts on the 2 & 4, immediately in perfect unison, with increasing spot-on syncopation developing on from there.  The first time that evening this happened, I just looked over at my friend and smiled and he nearly fell down laughing with excited relief.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 03:45:38 PM »
I've posted this elsewhere at TS sometime in the past, but it certainly fits here.  Harry Connick Jr, manipulating a disappointing clap along- https://youtu.be/mI-CU2VTVic.

Note the drummer in back throwing champion fists in the air just after Harry inserts a single bar of 5/4 at 0:39, altering the square 1&3 audience clap to a swinging 2&4 without them realizing what happened!  Yet, in the brief video cut to audience at 1:11, the girl in front still rushes her second clap.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 05:30:15 AM »
I use 'Auto Heal' in Audition on each specific clap. I have RX but I have never used it. You can use the auto heal function as an eraser on the waveform and only isolate the claps. I only use them inbetween songs with terrible clapping. It is tedious, but 100% effective.

I assume using Rx if someone is clapping off tempo you could use it for that?
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline ts

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 08:51:36 AM »
I use 'Auto Heal' in Audition on each specific clap. I have RX but I have never used it. You can use the auto heal function as an eraser on the waveform and only isolate the claps. I only use them inbetween songs with terrible clapping. It is tedious, but 100% effective.

I have Audition 3.0 and I've never seen Auto Heal. Is it a plug in?

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 09:25:05 AM »

It may not be in 3.0? I had creative suite 5-6 and now have the Adobe subscription. I believe it’s Auditon 2022. It’s the small band aid icon near the cursor selector.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline ts

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »

It may not be in 3.0? I had creative suite 5-6 and now have the Adobe subscription. I believe it’s Auditon 2022. It’s the small band aid icon near the cursor selector.

According to this article, it should be in my version somewhere, although I've never seen it. I'll check when I get a chance.

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/audio-tools-adobe-audition/

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2022, 01:23:37 PM »

Definitely annoying at the show, but I've found it a little easier to clean up in Izotope. I had an off-beat toe-tapping kid next to me at a show over the weekend, and it was a quiet band. Super distracting. I used Izotopes Spectral repair to manually attentuate these.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2022, 05:52:58 PM »
Here are directions I wrote back in 2013 to deal with this in both Audacity and iZotope RX. The names of presets may have changed, but the procedure still works. You may get better results in RX with some of the other presets.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=163137.0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2022, 05:10:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing your settings.  Just last night I was fiddling in rx8 on this very issue.  Do you apply this across the entire recording in one fell swoop or do you just try to apply it to the segments where the clapping is most offensive?

I just process the period between when the applause starts and when it ends.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline ts

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2022, 04:35:02 PM »

So I'm learning to use auto heal. Thanks for the tip. Never knew it was there. Looks like the eraser is in spectral display. I'll have to try that to.

BTW, I've seen this particular clapper before. Last time was years ago, but it's definitely the same clown. He tends to hover around mic stands or the board and claps really fast and loud. Like it's on purpose so he can pick himself out in the recording.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 04:38:13 PM by ts »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com