Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Running a preamp in front of a recorder that doesn't have a true "line-in"

<< < (5/5)

unclehoolio:
Hi Canher--

Yes, for the first comp, one of the 2 main differences to my ears is the fatter, more extended low end in #1.  Which is much more accurate to how it sounded at the show.

As for the second comp, I also agree that the difference is subtle.  (Much more subtle than the 1st comp).  Good phrasing of the difference, I also think #1 has a warmth to it, especially thru the midrange.  #2 is a little cooler and crisper, or more 'clinical'.  And I agree with you that I'd be more than happy with either one.  Which I can't say the same for the first comp.

unclehoolio:
Okay, here's another comp, for anyone who still cares about 'em:

https://we.tl/t-ozGu7JPwAh

DSO at the Warfield on Friday night.

481-DIN, all on same stand, which was 15' ROC, just inside the right PA stack, even with the FOH enclosure.  Otherwise, same background as the previous comps:  both recorders were set to 24/96, limiters off, no stereo linking on gain, and I did my best to match levels during the show; same types of xlr cables used; post-production consisted only of normalization.

one pair into Zoom F8n Pro
one pair into Oade mod HD-PS (Hi-Def mod)\
one pair into m148>Zoom

As always, feel free to post your impressions/observations, preferences, dislikes, guesses, etc if you feel so inclined.  Happy to reveal the sources via PM.

(Not sure why the one pic is sideways?  Also after I took that pic, I made some final adjustments to ensure that the top pair of mics was aligned/parallel with the bottom 2 prs)

Chanher:
I just did a quick listen through and here are my guesses:

Shakedown1 - HD-P2 Oade HD mod
Shakedown2 -  Zoom F8n Pro
Shakedown3 - Oade M148

Shakedown3 seems the softest of the 3, nice and warm. I had to go back and forth on the first 2, it seems like the 2nd sample was the most neutral, a quality I attach to the Zoom F series. Sample 1 seemed to have that presence boost in the upper frequencies that I find common in a lot of mods.

I love these comps, although I'll be the first to admit that some of them are obvious to me and then the next one they'll all sound the same haha. Critical listening is a skill that can be practiced! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I managed to snag a 2nd pair of Line Audio CM4's locally for cheap (couldn't believe it when I saw them) and I wanna run the F3 and Oade Warm mod 661 head to head. Waiting for a good sounding venue + good band.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version