Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack reset loop problem  (Read 2413 times)

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Microtrack reset loop problem
« on: July 30, 2009, 11:42:24 PM »
Hey all...had my Microtrack (not II, the original) just shut down during recording twice tonight. Just slipped out of record into stop - it had apparently saved the file and stopped. Plenty of room on the card, it's a 4GB and was empty, recording at 16/48. When I hit record again to start a file, it would behave like it wasn't getting a signal - counter wouldn't start counting up, level meters wouldn't bounce - and it would briefly flash the M-AUDIO startup screen and then go back to the stopped state.

First time this has happened to me, and very frustrating to have it happen twice in one night. I'm wondering if this has something to do with my order of operations - do folks typically connect the MT, fire up the rest of the gear and the MT last so that it "sees" the signal? Any suggestions?
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Microtrack reset loop problem
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:12:24 AM »
I have an MT1 and it does not seem to matter what order I do things. How are you using it? If I use it as a bit bucket, sometimes if I connect and turn on I overload the signal, which I can fix by just pulling out my SPDIF cable and putting it back in. If I use any other configuration like TRS to batt box to 1/8, or TRS to Phantom, it never matters what I do.

I always reformat the card in the MT before every show. It sounds like possibly a CF card issue.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline greenone

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 07:34:11 AM »
I was using it as a bit bucket but I tried it after I got home last night with the 1/8" and it exhibited the same behavior, which led me to believe it was the CF. Just to be safe, I formatted the card, reinstalled the latest firmware, formatted the card again, and that seemed to solve the problem, but what works at home may not always work at a show so I'll test it out again before tonight's show. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:33:09 AM »
I know that there has also been a lot of talk as well about the mt2 (and figure mt1 has same concern) that when a spdif signal is in anyway interrupted it stops.  While trouble shooting, make sure that your signal isn't being in some way interrupted ie. bad cable, loose connection, poor powering of pre, etc.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline greenone

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
I should also mention that when I tried the shutdown/startup routine on site, it would shut down and start up just fine, but then flash a square on the screen for a millisecond after it had gone through the startup. The square looked to be the same size as the "Shutting down" dialog but it was so quick I couldn't even tell if there was text on it. But whenever I saw that square flash, I knew the system was still messed up.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
I know that there has also been a lot of talk as well about the mt2 (and figure mt1 has same concern) that when a spdif signal is in anyway interrupted it stops.  While trouble shooting, make sure that your signal isn't being in some way interrupted ie. bad cable, loose connection, poor powering of pre, etc.

I have not found this to be a problem with the MT1 using the latest (or even near latest) firmware. In bitbucket mode, if the signal stops, the recording stops, but as soon as the signal comes back, the recording resumes. Whenever I patch, this is what happens because everyone is different about when or how they start recording usually based on battery paranoia.

I do strongly recommend formatting the card from the MT before every show.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline greenone

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:25:14 AM »
Formatted the card before the other two shows this weekend and worked like a charm. Now if I only hadn't turned off the auto-shutdown, I might have had enough juice for the second show...third show was just fine though. :P

Thanks folks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com