Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shapeways mount / Shure doughnut - suggestions?  (Read 7239 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Shapeways mount / Shure doughnut - suggestions?
« on: September 26, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »
Got this Shapeways mount for the SKM184's. Fits in the Shure doughnut, but when the mics are mounted the bar moves due to the weight of the mics. I'm about to wrap it in gaff tape to make it "fatter", and thus hopefully more stable. Before I do, anyone have any other suggestions? I'm all ears.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
Re: Shapeways mount / Shure doughnut - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FYOHPXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

added the lowpro mount (from srs) on the bottom.  I think you can piece them together so you don't have to buy the whole thing.  worth very penny!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
here it is with the lowpro mount and a dina bar

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:01:48 PM »
I've got a knockoff of that, and it will not work. Unless I saw it down to about an inch. I think Scott makes a wider one of these, but I went with this version. I shouldn't have.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 12:06:23 PM »
Is the A55 bigger or smaller than the A53?

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 12:39:17 PM »
Fork it. Gaff tape for the win. Good and solid now. :cheers: At least till the next time I manage to timber-ho my stand

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »
I had the low profile base for the Rycote and I'm not a fan after a few ruined recordings. The stock Rycote base has a cable clip which kills and vibrations on the cable from rail kickers, etc but the low pro base has nothing.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 06:21:24 PM »
I've been taping for 15 years and never heard a cable vibration.  ymmv.  stand kick or something sure but......

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 07:04:04 PM »
Hoping to learn something here.... Are the Shapeways bars 'better' than the Schoeps bar or its clones (Kwon, NOLA, etc)? I've never used a Shapeways mount just because the delrin bars/Shure donut do everything I need them too. When I consider switching to a Rycote shockmount plus the Shapeways bar I start realizing I've now got something that is more expensive yet much less low-profile. Is the benefit all about the cable holder?

TIA!
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 07:48:05 PM »
the srs (shapeways) bars are lighter and much cheaper than the kwon, nola etc.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »
I had the low profile base for the Rycote and I'm not a fan after a few ruined recordings. The stock Rycote base has a cable clip which kills and vibrations on the cable from rail kickers, etc but the low pro base has nothing.

Pretty easy to isolate the cable using a cable wrap. I've always done it that way and never had an issue before. Sure, the cable clip is more convenient, but certainly that is more than one way to tackle the problem. If you are running actives, you are probably interested in a lower profile setup, so the low profile base vs. the stock Rycote base is preferred. YMMV and mine does.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »
I've been taping for 15 years and never heard a cable vibration.  ymmv.  stand kick or something sure but......

One of the venues I frequent (Terminal West in Atlanta) has a balcony with iron railing you have to clamp from and there's no way to avoid your cables touching it. People love to kick and bang on it with their hands and it makes a low frequency rumble when the vibration transfers from the rail to the cable.

I only tried cable ties for this application once, but I probably didn't do it right. I usually just use them to keep everything neat and clean.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 01:58:12 PM »
Hoping to learn something here.... Are the Shapeways bars 'better' than the Schoeps bar or its clones (Kwon, NOLA, etc)?

Depends.  Note that the Shapeways bars are plastic, and wouldn't be appropriate for a situation where they might see abuse.  Though I use them a lot, I personally wouldn't use them in a pro situation...for that I'd want something more robust.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »

Pretty easy to isolate the cable using a cable wrap. I've always done it that way and never had an issue before. Sure, the cable clip is more convenient, but certainly that is more than one way to tackle the problem. If you are running actives, you are probably interested in a lower profile setup, so the low profile base vs. the stock Rycote base is preferred. YMMV and mine does.

Seconded.  I use the low profile base with my CM3s which are very vibration-sensitive, and I have never had cable vibration issues. 

Whenever I have had shockmounts with integral clips, I never use them.  I prefer to tie off my cable several inches down the stand, with a large strain-relief loop.  If there were any vibrations traveling up the cable, they would be stopped at the tie-off point several inches below the shockmount.  The larger strain relief loop helps the shockmount do its job better as well, as you're not supporting any weight of the cable.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »
Hoping to learn something here.... Are the Shapeways bars 'better' than the Schoeps bar or its clones (Kwon, NOLA, etc)?

Depends.  Note that the Shapeways bars are plastic, and wouldn't be appropriate for a situation where they might see abuse.  Though I use them a lot, I personally wouldn't use them in a pro situation...for that I'd want something more robust.

Are shapeways mounts really that fragile? If so I just blew $35.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com