Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what would you compare nbox sound to?  (Read 16055 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
what would you compare nbox sound to?
« on: November 02, 2005, 02:40:47 PM »
ssia. have a few, but not enough to form much of an opinion. thanks, Marc.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: what would you compare nbox sound to?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 03:19:58 PM »

your making a mistake even considering this :P

marc0789

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 03:22:05 PM »

do tell,  Mr. Yankee? ;D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 03:23:46 PM »

do tell,  Mr. Yankee? ;D

I am assuming you are looking at moving to scheops->nbox and selling the 4022 rig...

if that is the case, then I cant wait for your critical ears to get to listen to those tapes regularly :P

marc0789

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:26:13 PM »

do tell,  Mr. Yankee? ;D

I am assuming you are looking at moving to scheops->nbox and selling the 4022 rig...

if that is the case, then I cant wait for your critical ears to get to listen to those tapes regularly :P

what's your opinion? I only have a few tapes. Appeals to me because I hate bodies, and seem to find myself in ass rooms a lot lately.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:33:02 PM »

do tell,  Mr. Yankee? ;D

what's your opinion? I only have a few tapes. Appeals to me because I hate bodies, and seem to find myself in ass rooms a lot lately.

in all seriousness, there are alot of schoeps tapes that I like...including some nbox tapes, but they are mostly with the hyper caps.  The card caps have a tendency to sound a bit brittle on my playback sometimes...though that is not an all time occurrence.

I have just found that even with bad rooms, I prefer the 4022s

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 12:46:42 AM »
I don't know what I'd compare it to, but I can tell you what I hear in it.  I really love the Nbox's meaty and up-front mids.  This, IMO, is its strong suit.  Relative to the mids, I find the bass less detailed and without the extension I'd really like, but not bad sounding by any stretch.  It's the highs that really get me with the NBox.  I find the HF painful, fatiguing - harsh, spitty, lacking detail, and somehow missing seamless integration in the transition from HF to mids.  Like the HF is kinda floating up there without a grounding into the mid frequencies.  Not sure how best to explain it.  I also find the soundstaging a bit flatter than I'd like, but that may be a function of the recordings I've heard - some are better than others.  But aside from the soundstaging, I hear similar sonic characteristics - to my ears - as the ones I mention above in every NBox recording I hear.  It's not a band sounding pre, but IMO it doesn't sound great, either.

In the past, I've made no secret of the fact that I much prefer the Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 (but of course we should all make up our own minds).  And I'll do the same here.  Better LF extension and detail.  The mids aren't as meaty and up front, though they have every bit as much detail as the NBox, if not more.  And I find the HF smoother, more detailed, and better integrated with the mids.  Given the better detail across the board, I find the /LS2 offers more accurate and open soundstaging than the NBox.  But note:  the /LS2 costs a good nerdle more!

Anyway...blah blah blah...I've said most of this before, and it's all IMO, of course.  Bottom line, I'd be reasonably happy with the NBox, but far happier with the /LS2.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 09:18:43 AM »
These guys are nuts :P  The nbox sounds so good I considered selling my brick. If I didn't buy it new, I would have sold it, but I figure I need a few thousand more $ in gear. It reminds me a lot of a V2. Everything sounds clean and natural sounding. The soundstage is suprisingly good. You can hear Sunny's percussion moving around you with the headphones on. There is definitely not a night/day difference between the two. I find the lemosax to be exagerated in the low end, and something doesn't sound quite natural to me.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 09:46:08 AM »
Not surprisingly, it all comes down to different ears / brains / playback - isn't it great to have options with all this quality gear available?  Another shocker:  gonna have to do some listening and make up your own mind, Marc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 10:40:12 AM »
thanks all. ;D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 10:41:59 AM »
I ran mk21>nbox>722 for Codetalkers in Cleveland but the PA was messed up and vocals were really only out of the left side..  I was really bummed about that one but we couldn't hear it during the show due to where we were sitting and lack of experience with the venue.

Hmm.. I did do a Robbie Schaeffer (folk, solo acoustic guitar) show stagelip with mk21 NOS>nbox>minime>jb3.

I wish we had some more simultaneous nbox/lemosax/cmc6 comps.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 01:07:52 PM »
marc, you know you're never selling the 4022s

marc0789

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 02:18:30 PM »

;D yeah, probably right. I do this every time I run into a few bad sound situations in the row, then things break right and the rig pulls a stunner....happens every time. :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 02:19:55 PM »

;D yeah, probably right. I do this every time I run into a few bad sound situations in the row, then things break right and the rig pulls a stunner....happens every time. :P

hell I want you to sell them.  I would then kick back with a beer and watch the entertaining posts fly as you enter into the inevitable love/hate relationship you have with every new piece of gear :)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 10:44:31 PM »
nicky lent me his mk41>nbox for the last cream show at msg.(combined with my sbm1>jb3)  it was my first time running the nbox.

nick says the box was made for and sounds best with the mk4's, but that the mk41 "grab" more of the music when you are farther back as i was. going in to the concert, i was not expecting much from the recording, but i i must confess i was impressed with the results. and the box is super easy to use. flip a switch and off you go. i think nick is now making the nbox with a variable gain option if requested.

i am going to see if i can borrow the mk4>nbox rig to run some more up front and steath shows. sorta like kickin the tires and taking a test drive.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com