Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: Bound TRS + DC Cable for Instrument/Keytar  (Read 4506 times)

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
ISO: Bound TRS + DC Cable for Instrument/Keytar
« on: December 14, 2020, 01:44:20 PM »
Exploring having a 20-30ft custom power and TRS cable built for a band member's Roland Ax-Edge Keytar. https://youtu.be/sBxrVf4v70E?t=5135

He's currently using AA and wireless but short of picking up a $1200 wireless rig, we're having occasional issues.

Any takers? Feedback? Obviously there'd be some tech stuff we'd have to hash out, pin type, etc. Anything I should be aware of? Would binding a power and audio cable be a no no?

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/AX-EDGE_eng02_W.pdf

Thanks!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
Re: ISO: Bound TRS + DC Cable for Instrument/Keytar
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 09:50:44 AM »

In an ideal world you would not run signal and power next to each other parallel. I was always taught in live sound production to cross power cables with audio cables perpendicular if you couldn't avoid it altogether.

I'm sure some things have changed but if you do this you may just want to have separate cables and not bundle them.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 01:30:17 AM »

In an ideal world you would not run signal and power next to each other parallel. I was always taught in live sound production to cross power cables with audio cables perpendicular if you couldn't avoid it altogether.

I'm sure some things have changed but if you do this you may just want to have separate cables and not bundle them.

Interesting. Kinda what I was thinking. If you get a second, can you provide any reason why (I'm assuming interference is going to be the response).

I'm hoping to have 1 bound cable in an effort to minimize setup and reduce tangle opportunities.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 08:34:38 AM »

Interesting. Kinda what I was thinking. If you get a second, can you provide any reason why (I'm assuming interference is going to be the response).

I'm hoping to have 1 bound cable in an effort to minimize setup and reduce tangle opportunities.

What kind of voltage are we talking here? I'm thinking  >12v DC is going to produce a lot less interference than 120v AC.

Not the same deal at all, but we use this Siamese cable for security camera installs all the time. Although I'm sure the RG59 is probably shielded better that garden variety audio cable. 
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »

I didn't look at the specs on the Keytar but it probably isnt using a whole ton of juice. You might be able to pull it off - all you can do is give it a shot and if it works that's great and if it doesn't then you shouldn't be out too much. Just use well shielded cables.

The caution against crossing audio and power cables is pointed mostly at PA  systems and live sound reinforcement. PAs have changed and nowadays everything runs through data cables up to the stage box anyways so it's kinda an outdated thing.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com