Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Roland R-05, rubber parts became sticky like melting!

(1/3) > >>

rolandr05:
I'm a happy owner of this recorder and I didn't use it for a few years, always kept in a laptop bag and without batteries.
Today I decided to use it but I realized that all rubber (about 70% of the case is rubber) is sticky and leaves fingers with a sticky material like glue.
Has anyone experienced this issue?

fransb:
It is not too difficult to remove the sticky finish using isopropyl alcohol (of near 100% purity).

Gutbucket:
Yep.  Along with some elbow grease. 

Not a fan of rubberized coatings, as they all seem to do this at some point.  Some take more work than others to remove, but in my experience most of them can be completely removed leaving a clean blemish-free hard smooth plastic surface.  Each time I've done this I'm left with the thought, "this should have been the original finish to start with", and suspect an industrial design conspiracy of planned obsolescence.  Be careful around labels and white painted markings, which are typically not on the rubberized bits but often adjacent to them, so as not to remove or smudge them.

rolandr05:

--- Quote from: fransb on September 16, 2021, 09:17:09 AM ---It is not too difficult to remove the sticky finish using isopropyl alcohol (of near 100% purity).
--- End quote ---
I got the isopropyl 99% quality but I think it can be useful to clean a surface but what I can see the whole rubber is completely sticky and melting, not just the surface.

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on September 16, 2021, 09:50:02 AM ---Yep.  Along with some elbow grease. 

Not a fan of rubberized coatings, as they all seem to do this at some point.  Some take more work than others to remove, but in my experience most of them can be completely removed leaving a clean blemish-free hard smooth plastic surface.  Each time I've done this I'm left with the thought, "this should have been the original finish to start with", and suspect an industrial design conspiracy of planned obsolescence.  Be careful around labels and white painted markings, which are typically not on the rubberized bits but often adjacent to them, so as not to remove or smudge them.
--- End quote ---
The only complaint that I had about this recorder is that all text describing the functions of the various switches printed on the aluminium surface was already faded away by just holding the recorder.
And now this rubber thing, it's not just a coating but it's part of the recorder's case and it has became soft and sticky like the glue on a sticky tape.

Gutbucket:
Keep rubbing!  Hard.  IME its not super easy, but takes work.  You need to remove maybe a 1/16" of sticky goo to get down to the sub-surface.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version