Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

Idea for VMS (& other 12v m-tip reverse polarity gear)

<< < (2/7) > >>

yug du nord:
Not trying to hijack thread...  but I ran a 02IB for 2-3 years with the adapta-plug tip and never ever had a power issue.
I'll try to see if I have a record of what size tip I was using...  but whatever size it was, it fit perfect.

perks:
Yep - Steve Toney managed to track down a Schoeps vendor in Germany a few years back and snapped up what was left of their inventory of Schoeps tips. He super-generously gave me one and then I got a 2nd when I bought my 2nd VMS ( I believe the seller got his from Steve as well). Its amazing that something so tiny, simple, and inexpensive can throw a wrench into using the VMS efficiently.

One of the other things Steve helped me with was he got a few of the battery sleds and hacked off the metal arms (not sure what to call these) that make the battery sled connection inside the VMS. He flipped those metal arms around and superglued it all back together which effectively made a normal battery sled into one that now has the needed reverse polarity. Not the prettiest battery sled hack but it works and I have more confidence in using the sled (especially when taping lo-pro) that I do using an external battery that needs to be plugged into the front of the VMS.

perks:

--- Quote from: yug du nord on March 14, 2019, 01:38:59 PM ---Not trying to hijack thread...  but I ran a 02IB for 2-3 years with the adapta-plug tip and never ever had a power issue.
I'll try to see if I have a record of what size tip I was using...  but whatever size it was, it fit perfect.

--- End quote ---

Guy - it fits but it can easily jiggle around? So if you have it set in your bag and nothing touches it then no problems but if someone were to accidentally kick the bag you could have a momentary disruption in power? Just guessing but that is my experience with the adapta plug solution. I used those for a while before Steve fixed me up with the real deal Schoeps plug.

I like Noah's solution and hope someone spends the $10 to test it out.

noahbickart:
Here's the thread with Steve's really useful information: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170684.0

TL/DR= M tip works, but is liable to shorting if pulled while the unit is on. He suggests that as long as one is careful to turn the unit off before pulling the plug, the m-tip should work just fine.

I'm really intrigued by the notion of hacking one of the standard 8 AA battery holders, so as to use it internally.

This whole mind exercise comes from a deep place of fear: When my plastic battery holder dies, how will I continue to run my VMS?

perks:
mmmm I'm useless with tools or DIY hacks although I'm fascinated watching what other creative people can do. I'm wondering how hard it could be to engineer a rubber (or even gaff tape/heat shrink/epoxy) donut to fit around the end of the M-tip adapter effectively creating a Schoeps-like tip.

Otherwise the battery sled hack looks like something I would attempt to tackle if/when I break the sleds I got from Steve.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version