Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps parabolic at NAB 2019  (Read 4503 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Schoeps parabolic at NAB 2019
« on: April 21, 2019, 03:08:19 AM »
this is featuring a CCM but i cant see how it wouldnt work with any of the other small active ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDeD1NElIgk

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/parabolic-dish-set

the portable dish is made by a company called Telinga, but they dont sell them separately

http://www.telinga.com/products/dishes/foldable-v2-dish/

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:12:48 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Schoeps parabolic at NAB 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 03:16:54 PM »
On Schoeps' own Web site, see https://schoeps.de/en/products/special-microphones/parabolic-dish/parabolic-dish-set.html (no, they don't sell the dish alone, but the set seems to be available without a microphone if you already have a suitable CCM) ... and see also their YouTube video about the companion plug-in equalizer, on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OUmAZXBmwE .

The quote used in the demonstrations means roughly, "Nature gave mankind one tongue but two ears, so that we can listen twice as much as we speak." Its attribution is disputed. I thought it was from Goethe, and some on-line sources agree. But I see that it's also attributed to the Stoic philosopher Epictetus as well as other ancient Greeks such as Zeno of Elea.

Now, one really must admire Epictetus and Zeno, but in their time German hadn't been invented yet. So I still go with Goethe.

--best regards
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:33:33 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 05:54:19 PM »
First interference tubes, now parabolic dishes, my how times change!  Looks to be implemented well as would be expected, an that thankfully has not changed.

Akin to the stereo-ear/mono-tongue demonstration quote , I attribute "talking is a necessity, listening is an art" to Goethe.. but don't really knoweth. 
^What's worse than a bad American-English pun mangling correct German pronunciation?  Explaining it!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 08:18:45 PM »
> First interference tubes, now parabolic dishes, my how times change!

Schoeps wasn't always a "monoculture". At first they developed a tape recorder--the second ever to use AC bias, after the original AEG "Magnetophon". (They made a dozen of those and sold maybe nine; times were hard.) They also installed sound systems for movie theaters and meeting halls. Then they turned their attention to condenser microphones. But at some point in the early 1950s, apparently they also considered developing dynamic microphones, since one prototype model still survives.

Maybe about 20 years ago by now, they worked seriously on a large-diaphragm, single-diaphragm (of course!) cardioid for studio vocal recording. It, too, got to the "early prototype" stage but was then shelved. Much more recently, under the new leadership, they developed the V4 which covers the same territory in a more Schoeps-like way. I only have one, so I've never tried it as a main microphone for stereo concert recording, but I suspect that it might be good in some of the ways that the cardioid setting of the MK 6 was so good.

Actually if you look on all the side alleyways of their Web site, you'll see that in the past 10+ years or so, Schoeps has catering a lot to surround recording. Partly this is because that's a specialty area that Dr. Wittek knows a lot about. But it's also because German TV is very technically advanced and competitive in this area, especially where sports events are concerned. The parabolic dish is in line with that market--it obviously has no application to high-quality concert recording.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 05:15:02 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 12:33:14 AM »
"Nature gave mankind one tongue but two ears, so that we can listen twice as much as we speak."

thats what she said....
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »
But it's also because German TV is very technically advanced and competitive in this area, especially where sports events are concerned.

It better be! Every household here in Germany has to pay 18 EUR per month to subsidize state television and radio stations. Now if just the quality of their programming would keep up with the high technical standards...

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 08:01:44 AM »
First interference tubes, now parabolic dishes, my how times change! 

Actually, I think the parabolic reflector came years before the first interference tube mic. came about.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »
First interference tubes, now parabolic dishes, my how times change! 

Actually, I think the parabolic reflector came years before the first interference tube mic. came about.

I took Gutbucket to be referring to Schoeps specifically...and at least somewhat in jest.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:22:28 AM »
Yes, was referring to the addition of these items to Schoep's product line.

Historically, these interesting instances of each type come to mind:

Pre-radar WWII era large acoustic reflectors-

And big bundle-of-tubes-style interference designs ("machine-gun") from Western Electric (618A/E99098)-

And RCA (10006A)-

Also on page 17 of this 1962 catalog: http://thehistoryofrecording.com/Literature/RCA/RCA-Broadcast-Equipment-Catalog-1962-5th-Edition.pdf

Now back to present day Schoeps..

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
Anybody else find that RCA ad with shotgun mic lady hot as hell?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com