Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wal-Mart LIon/UA-5 powering question (pic inside)  (Read 7470 times)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Wal-Mart LIon/UA-5 powering question (pic inside)
« on: June 12, 2004, 06:23:41 PM »
OK... so I got this slick little unit (thanks AT853rxwh!) and am wondering if I can use the "G" adaptaplug that comes with it to power my UA-5? The "G" plug fit's the power input on the UA-5 perfectly, but I'm wondering if there will be polarity issues? I figured I better ask before melting my unit. (mind out of gutter)

See pic: (there is a small "G" on this adapter)
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re: Wal-Mart LIon/UA-5 powering question (pic inside)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 07:25:51 PM »
No way to reverse the polarity other than by cutting the cable or you can go to RatShack and get an adaptaplug cord and the corresponding end tips.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 08:01:18 PM »
Can I cut the existing (curly) cable and splice it together with a few inches of a female adaptaplug cable? Then, just make sure I switch the polarity when I use the "M" adaptaplug into the UA-5?

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 09:06:19 PM »
Can I cut the existing (curly) cable and splice it together with a few inches of a female adaptaplug cable? Then, just make sure I switch the polarity when I use the "M" adaptaplug into the UA-5?

Yes you can cut and splice, but you will need to switch the two wires.  If you do that, you don't need anything from radio shack...  MAKE SURE YOU SOLDER AND INSULATE (ELECTRICAL TAPE OR HEAT SHRINK)  What would be a good idea is to cut then splice in a fuse or a pair of fuses if you are really anal...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 09:08:24 PM by AT853rxwh »
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 09:13:27 PM »

Yes you can cut and splice, but you will need to switch the two wires.  If you do that, you don't need anything from radio shack...  MAKE SURE YOU SOLDER AND INSULATE (ELECTRICAL TAPE OR HEAT SHRINK)  What would be a good idea is to cut then splice in a fuse or a pair of fuses if you are really anal...

Good idea! I have some heat shrink around the house. Can I then assume the aforementioned "G" adapter (from the pic) will work to power my UA-5 since it fits? Also, what will a fuse do/prevent for me? I can't picture what type of "fuse" you're referring to.

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 09:15:32 PM »

Rat Shack sells inline fuse holders.  And the adaptor should work providing you switch the polarity by switching the wires.
Good idea! I have some heat shrink around the house. Can I then assume the aforementioned "G" adapter (from the pic) will work to power my UA-5 since it fits? Also, what will a fuse do/prevent for me? I can't picture what type of "fuse" you're referring to.
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 09:45:18 PM »
look...if you are going to ratshack to buy the adaptacord...you might as well get the adaptachord, the "m" tip for the ua-5 and the "B" tip for the 9v lithium and you wont need to cut anything it will probably cost you may $7 total and you wont have to cut anything. let the tips do the polarity change and you are golden pony boy. just my opinion...ymmv. why cut if you dont have to?

read this thread...particularly the 2nd page for all the specifics

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19772.15
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 09:50:13 PM »
look...if you are going to ratshack to buy the adaptacord...you might as well get the adaptachord, the "m" tip for the ua-5 and the "B" tip for the 9v lithium and you wont need to cut anything it will probably cost you may $7 total and you wont have to cut anything. let the tips do the polarity change and you are golden pony boy. just my opinion...ymmv. why cut if you dont have to?

read this thread...particularly the 2nd page for all the specifics

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19772.15

If someone is comfortable cutting, splicing, and using heatshrink, why spend $7?  For most folks they are ONLY using these for UA-5's so what's the difference?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 10:00:25 PM »
why cut if you dont have to...stepjamz said he was getting the adaptacord and the m adapter anyway...thats $5...spend another $2 and get the B adapter and you dont have to cut. dont have to solder. dont have to shrink wrap. dont have to worry f the connection fails.

hey if he wants to go to ratshack, but 2/3 of what he needs, then have to work harder to get to where he has to be then so be it. but sometimes the simplest solutiuon is the best.

besides that coiled chord is too bulky in my opinion.

hack away!

chill AT853rxwh...it was an opinion
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 10:28:02 PM »
why cut if you dont have to...stepjamz said he was getting the adaptacord and the m adapter anyway...thats $5...spend another $2 and get the B adapter and you dont have to cut. dont have to solder. dont have to shrink wrap. dont have to worry f the connection fails.

hey if he wants to go to ratshack, but 2/3 of what he needs, then have to work harder to get to where he has to be then so be it. but sometimes the simplest solutiuon is the best.

besides that coiled chord is too bulky in my opinion.

hack away!

chill AT853rxwh...it was an opinion

Actually he said he was gonna hack the end off and splice the cable from Radio Shack (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense) and if he was going to cut, he might as well save a couple of bucks and just flip the polarity. 

And I was chilled, is there a problem?  ???

Personally I think the cleanest solution is buy the right ends, get some decent power cable, put a fuse in it and solder, heat shrink it and all is good.  Next best is buy it premade (ala adapta cord from rat shack) 

On the one I have it already has the adaptaplug ends on it (Memorex branded battery) and didn't have to worry about it...  +T to all!

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 10:02:45 AM »
Thanks for the advice all. I am going to pick up the necessary RS adapters ("B" plug > fem-to-fem > "M" plug) and use that method, just on the off chance I need to use this battery for something else in the futue. +T's all around. :)

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 08:07:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice all. I am going to pick up the necessary RS adapters ("B" plug > fem-to-fem > "M" plug) and use that method, just on the off chance I need to use this battery for something else in the futue. +T's all around. :)

That's the way to go.  I hacked mine and within a few weeks wished I hadn't cause I sold the ua-5 and picked up a odl-276..... :P  Spliced it back together but it's not as pretty now.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline RobC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 03:01:47 PM »
I did a test to see how long the Wal-Mart LIon Battery would last.

my results were 11.5 hours.

this was done
KM 184> UA-5> optical to my standalone CD-R
I had the phantom power on
The recording levels were turned all the way up
I had the Head Phones turned on and plugged in for 4 hours of the test
The battery had been fully charged and not used for about 5 days before the test was done.

km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

spreadheadtom

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 02:51:38 PM »
you guys think that there is any way possible to use this battery to power both UA5 and JB3?

dumb question I know---sorry  ::)

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 03:54:11 PM »
Yes.  Go to RS and buy the cable and adaptaplugs from the posts above, but splice another wire off of ("Y") it and solder (or some sort of quick connect, etc) the 5 volt car kit from Wallmart  onto this cable and your happnin'.  So it would be like this:  out of battery>"Y" junction>one side goes to UA5, the other goes to 5 volt car adapter>JB3.  The car kit steps the voltage down from 9 to 5, or 4.5 depending.  Double check polarity!!

Scott
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com