Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WalMart Li-Ion guts?  (Read 3483 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
WalMart Li-Ion guts?
« on: September 11, 2005, 10:21:38 PM »
Anyone taken one of these apart yet?  I don't have one, but if someone has a dead one I'll take it off your hands for you.

kurious,

...Kk

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: WalMart Li-Ion guts?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 10:42:26 PM »
Anyone taken one of these apart yet?  I don't have one, but if someone has a dead one I'll take it off your hands for you.

kurious,

...Kk

Yes, I've done it.  Four cells, in series-parallel arrangement, that is, 3.6V x2= 7.2V output.  Then there is some kind of stepup circuit to get 9V out.

So, what do you want to do with this?  By the way, the usual disclaimer applies: don't mess with LiON batteries unless you know what you're doing.  I already got flamed for this in another thread :).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 01:25:27 AM »
FWIW, Li-Ion batteries are a lot more dangerous that folks know about.  You should see what they do when they get wet!  Lithium is EXTREMELY water reactive.  A hazardous waste facility that I used to work with in Clarence, NY had a hydrolysis pit where they used to neutralize haz-mat.  Somehow some lithium batteries got into the pit and the whole place went up in flames.  That wasn't your normal cookie-cutter fire.

:scared:
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 11:00:32 AM »
Yes, I've done it.  Four cells, in series-parallel arrangement, that is, 3.6V x2= 7.2V output.  Then there is some kind of stepup circuit to get 9V out.

I wonder if that could explain what happened to me Saturday night.  I was taping a show and was using the battery to power a jb3 via a hacked RS car 12V>4.5V adapter.  I had three lights left on the battery when I set everything up at the show.  Unplugged the adapter and waited for the band to come out.  Plugged the adapter back in and bupkus...nothing.  No lights at all.  I thought the battery might have gone bad.  (Thankfully I happened to have a D100 in the bag otherwised I'd have been totally screwed).  Got home and checked the battery again.  Still nothing at all.  Plugged it in to the recharger and finally got a red light to come on.  Charged it up overnight and tested it the next day w/ the same adapter/jb3 setup and it recorded for over 3 hours before I stopped it w/ 4 lights still on the meter.

So, I'm guessing that 1) maybe the meter isn't all that accurate, or 2) maybe there's a threshold that if the battery goes down past it'll stop working altogether, or 3) I just have a flakey battery.  I think from now on I'll judge the battery's charge not by the button and meter but by how fast the recharger makes the one red light blink green when recharging.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 11:40:07 AM »
I think it was none of the above.  I'm pretty sure these Li-ion batteries have a protection circuit built into them.  If for some reason you short circuit the battery even briefly, perhaps even just by plugging and unplugging the RS adapter somehow, the protection circuit shuts off the battery and the only way to reset it is to plug it back into its charger.  Maybe Richard can comment since he's actually opened up one of these batteries.  But I had the same thing happen at a SKB show, luckily someone had an AC wallwart for a V3 and I got access to AC power to make the tape.  But my battery was fully charged and then went dead, just like yours.  All was well again after plugging it into the charger, and I've used it for 7-8 months since without any problems.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:40:55 AM »
Double check your wiring . A friend of mine complained about this once on one of his lithium batt's . Come to find out he had a short in his cable. I fixed the cable for him and he's been good to go since.
he too thought one of his batt's was flaky 

Im guessing there is some kinda reverse polarity/short protection in it. And this is why it shuts down on ya . The battery can be full charge and still do this too ya. Then ya plug it into the charger for 2 seconds and all is well again..

Edit to say, I should have known i would not be nearly fast enough

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 11:50:18 AM »
Cool, that's good to know!  thanks +t's

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 12:52:15 PM »
FWIW, Li-Ion batteries are a lot more dangerous that folks know about.  You should see what they do when they get wet!  Lithium is EXTREMELY water reactive.  A hazardous waste facility that I used to work with in Clarence, NY had a hydrolysis pit where they used to neutralize haz-mat.  Somehow some lithium batteries got into the pit and the whole place went up in flames.  That wasn't your normal cookie-cutter fire.

Small world, Kk.....I worked a couple years final inspection there at WG and BDT in the eighties.  I remember the guy that snuck out of the super-dry room with a quarter-sized piece of Li......he dropped it into the toilet and flushed....fubarred the plumbing up something fierce!!  :o
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 01:56:31 PM »
What we used to call "Mach 10" work because that is about how fast your haert rate was beating.

Mach 10 work......rotflmao

Yeah, man, that was a big fire....I never made the bankruptcy/takeover connection until now   ^-^
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 08:47:06 PM »
I think it was none of the above.  I'm pretty sure these Li-ion batteries have a protection circuit built into them.  If for some reason you short circuit the battery even briefly, perhaps even just by plugging and unplugging the RS adapter somehow, the protection circuit shuts off the battery and the only way to reset it is to plug it back into its charger.  Maybe Richard can comment since he's actually opened up one of these batteries.  But I had the same thing happen at a SKB show, luckily someone had an AC wallwart for a V3 and I got access to AC power to make the tape.  But my battery was fully charged and then went dead, just like yours.  All was well again after plugging it into the charger, and I've used it for 7-8 months since without any problems.

I've had the same experience and believe there is a protection circuit. Because of this, I've been leaving everything all connected togther after I charge it, so it won't shut down when I need it most  ;)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com