Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How bad is it to use plastic optical cables?  (Read 3109 times)

Offline DCDireWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
How bad is it to use plastic optical cables?
« on: July 22, 2004, 07:58:36 AM »
Is it just a durabililty issue?  Or will my ears likely hear a difference?
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

jpschust

Re: How bad is it to use plastic optical cables?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 09:40:05 AM »
depends for what purpose- in the realm of live taping, i think you may be able to, but it isnt huge.  in terms of home playback- if you have a decent system i think the increase in jitter is noticable

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 01:15:21 PM »
Thanks!  I meant for the taping aspect.  At home I'll transfer the shows via usb, digital sound card, and manipulating software.
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 02:17:26 PM »
it is worth it to up the quality of your cable- they arent that expensive and why risk the jitter.  im not saying go with a 500 dollar cable, im saying what about a 20 dollar cable or even a 50 dollar cable (www.bettercables.com makes the best opti cable ive seen in a long time)

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 08:32:47 PM »
Right on, thanks for the advice.  I guess for a mere 60 bucks or so I should just suck it up and upgrade.

Why do I get the feeling that I'll be saying something along the lines of "I guess for a mere xxx bucks or so I should just suck it up and upgrade" about a lot of things in this here hobby.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 09:51:42 PM »
Right on, thanks for the advice.  I guess for a mere 60 bucks or so I should just suck it up and upgrade.

Why do I get the feeling that I'll be saying something along the lines of "I guess for a mere xxx bucks or so I should just suck it up and upgrade" about a lot of things in this here hobby.

If you haul your rig out to some festival and have equipment issues that cost you 16 hrs of tape, then that extra $20-30 is pretty cheap.  Go ahead and get good components and and they will last a long time and be cheaper in the long run.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 12:56:44 AM »
it is worth it to up the quality of your cable- they arent that expensive and why risk the jitter.  im not saying go with a 500 dollar cable, im saying what about a 20 dollar cable or even a 50 dollar cable (www.bettercables.com makes the best opti cable ive seen in a long time)

wow those are some nice cables!  a little pricey, but they look very well built!
save

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 09:16:08 AM »
justin, for audiograde cables they are pretty much the cheapest non DIY around.  If you wanna hear something really amusing- my entire home system is done in their cables and their cables only with the exception of my power cables (Todd, how are these coming) and my xbox and game cube cables since those are proprietary.  both my mac pieces of gear, denon, all 5 speakers, every single interconnect and every single component cable is bettercables.com stuff- thats how much i like them.

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 03:08:09 AM »
justin, for audiograde cables they are pretty much the cheapest non DIY around.  If you wanna hear something really amusing- my entire home system is done in their cables and their cables only with the exception of my power cables (Todd, how are these coming) and my xbox and game cube cables since those are proprietary.  both my mac pieces of gear, denon, all 5 speakers, every single interconnect and every single component cable is bettercables.com stuff- thats how much i like them.

nice i might have to pick up some interconnects from them sometime soon.  look like nice cables!
save

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 05:59:47 PM »
if you want to test a pair of the interconnects i may have an extra pair around, or at least a pair i can spare for a week or two if you want to test a cable thats already burned in.  otherwise they have the best return policy in the business.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com