Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR Soundboard > 1/8" Input (Tascam DR-2D)  (Read 4679 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
XLR Soundboard > 1/8" Input (Tascam DR-2D)
« on: October 29, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
Hey everyone,

I know many people have different thoughts on the whole Soundboard > 1/8" input scenario but I've been done some research and have come up with what I think makes sense for what I plan to do but want to know what people around here think before I pull the trigger.  I'm going to be running a Tascam DR-2D when I run 4 channels (with a soundboard patch and this doesn't happen to often hence why I'm not investing in a more expensive deck).  I know the DR-2D doesn't like a hot input and I can't always rely on the engineer to drop levels when I need them lowered (especially if the board is upstairs and I'm situated on the lower level and can't place my gear upstairs as it's closed off -- which has happened to me once years ago).   

Already Purchased:
- (2) XLR MALE and XLR FEMALE > RCA FEMALE
- High Quality dual RCA MALE > 1/8" MALE stereo cable

Considering:
- 15' 1/8" straight female > 1/8" straight male (techflexed)
- 10' 1/8" straight female > 1/8" RIGHT ANGLE male (techflexed) with -10dB or 20dB pad built in (techflexed as well).

I figure the 15' cable can also be used if I'm running a second pair of 1/8" terminated mics into a small preamp and the 10' cable can be used on its own if I'm situated near the board.  Would a -10dB or -20dB pad be more advisable in this situation?

Does anybody have any words of advice or caution on my plan?

Thanks in advance.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: XLR Soundboard > 1/8" Input (Tascam DR-2D)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »
Sounds like a good plan to me
You might also want to get 1/4m RCA adapters too. Not that I have much experience but I have never had an xlr out only RCA and 1/4
Where are you getting the attenuating cable? I would go -20 personally because that would allow you better results in more situations
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

colinw

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
Adrian, I use the dr-2d, and often run 4 channels with either CA14s or bsc1s into the mic in, in either case using a Naint preamp between the mics and the recorder.
I use the line in with the SBD feed.

The dr-2d hasn't ever caused me an issue overloading with too hot a signal, and I have never asked the engineer to turn down the signal. I also have never used attenuators to lower the signal. Maybe I have just been lucky?  ???

For cables, I have a couple of long L/R RCA > 3.5 miniplug cables that I connect to the SBD with. Most times I can plug the RCAs directly into the SBD, then go direct to the dr-2d line in. For other connection types from the SBD I have a bunch of adapters (RCA female > XLR male, RCA female > XLR female, RCA female > XLR male, a couple of RCA female > female adapters). I think that is everything I have and it has covered any situation I have encountered with board access.

Again no issue with too hot a signal for me, but maybe others have had problems. You could always use an inline attenuator/pad instead of an actual cable in case you needed it.

Colin

adrianf74

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
@willndmb: I have a single stereo 1/4" M > DUAL RCA F adapter.  Most boards in Toronto that I've worked with have either given me the option of XLR out or, in some cases, RCA out (rare).  I'm just trying to have a bunch of stuff in the bag that will give me the option if I need it.  As for the attentuating cable, I'm planning to have a custom cable built for me; not sure if it'll be done local or if it'll be done Stateside. 

@colinw: If I'm not mistaken, the Line IN on the DR-2D accepts a hot signal while the Mic IN doesn't like to play with hot sources at all.  Sometimes I'll need to adjust levels on the mics (coming out of a TinyBox) so I'll be likely to go that route as the SBD isn't as much of a priority to me as it's not as critical as the main mic capture.   My reason for the pad built into the cable is it will guarantee me a non-hot signal on the Mic IN and there are a couple of venues where I might be situated on the floor above or below the board and might not have a chance to bug the engineer.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »
I have run Preamp Line in and SBD Mic in on with the DR-2d and haven't had troubles with a hot signal.  I had a 20db padded cable, but stopped using it because it wasn't needed.  It doesn't hurt to carry one just in case.  I haven't found the inputs to be as sensitive as people make them out to be. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

adrianf74

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 07:51:19 PM »
I have run Preamp Line in and SBD Mic in on with the DR-2d and haven't had troubles with a hot signal.  I had a 20db padded cable, but stopped using it because it wasn't needed.  It doesn't hurt to carry one just in case.  I haven't found the inputs to be as sensitive as people make them out to be.

Thanks... it seems this might be more the case as I've done a little more digging.   I might just try and find a -10dB pad used at some point and run without.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »
I just got my 3rd DR-2d today!  I sold one off to upgrade and then didn't and bought a 2nd DR-2d off a friend.  Then sold the 2nd one to help buy a DR680 and I'm back to the DR-2d again.  I guess I have a bit of gear ADD

Edit:  Here is a show in a not so great room and using no pad AUD Line in and SBD Mic in.  https://archive.org/details/cbh2013-01-18.cbh2012-01-18

Thanks... it seems this might be more the case as I've done a little more digging.   I might just try and find a -10dB pad used at some point and run without.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:21:40 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

adrianf74

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:25:05 PM »
I just got my 3rd DR-2d today!  I sold one off to upgrade and then didn't and bought a 2nd DR-2d off a friend.  Then sold the 2nd one to help buy a DR680 and I'm back to the DR-2d again.  I guess I have a bit of gear ADD

Edit:  Here is a show in a not so great room and using no pad AUD Line in and SBD Mic in.  https://archive.org/details/cbh2013-01-18.cbh2012-01-18

3rd?  Wow... And I thought I was gonna be sl*tty picking up a DR-2D in addition to my M10 (which I might just sell outright).

The issue for me is not always having control.  I know another option is to pick up an M-Audio -10dB pad if I can find one and have it around "just in case."   The sample sounded fine to me depsite the room acoustics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.344 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com