Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAW died last night, need Help/Advice  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
DAW died last night, need Help/Advice
« on: October 24, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
So last night I went to fire up an older machine I have been using as a DAW and it was totally dead. Pressing the power button does nothing and I can not get it to turn on at all. It was shut off completely the last time I used it and now will not power up at all. It was connected to an APC UPS/surge protector that was not tripped in any way so I am pretty sure it did not get hit by lightning or a spike. There was also no LAN connection so I don't think it could have been spiked there either (is that even possible?) .... Anyway, I opened the case and throughly cleaned it this morning as well as removed the front power button suspecting it may have been acting up. That did nothing so I removed the power supply and looked for a fuse which it didn't seem to have (not a replaceable one anyway) Is there any way to test the PS to see if it is gone or is it more likely my motherboard just crapped out on me? The computer is an HP Pavilion 7650n

Any advice on how I could possibly save this PC would be great. Thanks in advance!
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

nathan_g

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: DAW died last night, need Help/Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
Probably a bad power supply (PSU). I do PC repairs here and there for people and have had to replace a number of bad PSU's on HP machines. They use the absolute cheapest possible solution. You probably have a 'Bestec' 265W PSU. Cheap, cheap, cheap. It's a cheap and easy fix unless it decided to take the motherboard with it when it died. That does happen...

Offline Əkoostikal

• Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:41:23 PM »
Probably a bad power supply (PSU). I do PC repairs here and there for people and have had to replace a number of bad PSU's on HP machines. They use the absolute cheapest possible solution. You probably have a 'Bestec' 265W PSU. Cheap, cheap, cheap. It's a cheap and easy fix unless it decided to take the motherboard with it when it died. That does happen...

Thanks for the reply... I am hoping that is all it is.

FWIW, I just opened the case again and the PSU is a: hipro hp-d3057f3r which looks like it can be had for > $30

would there be any way for me to test the motherboard or PSU with a Multimeter?
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

nathan_g

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:33:43 PM »
Well, as far as using a multimeter goes, I'm sure there's a way to at least test the PSU. I'm PC savvy but not multimeter savvy - I just use them to test old batteries. I have enough computer junk laying around that if a component goes bad, I just swap out with a known good one. It's a pretty safe bet that if no lights, fans or anything else show any signs of life that you have a bad PSU. The PSU should have an exhaust fan facing the rear - see if it spins up.

If you're looking to pick up a new PSU, don't go for an exact replacement. Newegg.com has great deals on aftermarket PC components...you should be able to grab a respectable PSU for 20-30 bucks. They can cost well over $100 for a high end model but an older PC won't need such a beast. I've had good luck with both Logisys and Raidmax for cheap, decent PSU's. Both of these are less than $30 shipped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152019

Even if you fried your motherboard, you can get a new, lower cost one for around 50-60 bucks. Unless I'm mistaken, your PC has a Core 2 Duo processor - that's worth salvaging in my book. Here's a cheap solution - $45:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130234

Obviously, I don't know your system specs but some diligent searching at newegg.com can yield some pretty sweet deals. You can get away with spending ~$100 if both PSU and motherboard are fried and have a fully restored system. That $100 figure applies if you do the work yourself. Don't get raped by the Geek Squad - the only thing they do well is overcharge...

Most likely, you just have a bad PSU. Somewhat likely, it took your motherboard with it. DVD & hard drive are probably OK although you could very well have lost or corrupted data. Your RAM is probably OK either way. RAM can be tested easily...open source app called memtest86 is well suited to that task. Good luck and if there's anything I might be able to answer, lemme know.

Offline Əkoostikal

• Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »
Thanks a ton for your reply.... I was actually planning on doing a bit of research on what would be a better PSU than the stock one since it looks like there were a lot of problems with the one in my machine. I actually really like the PC, it worked well for what I was using it for. I was planning on upgrading the RAM anyway and if the HDD corrupted data I don't really care since it was only used for the operating system and software. I did not keep anything important on this machine so as long as the HDD could possibly be wiped clean and a fresh XP install I will be just fine.

The PSU does have a fan as well as a fan on the motherboard and another inside the case. None of them come at all. Totally dead so I figured it would be the power supply. I would NEVER take anything to the geek squad LOL I have heard horror stories about them. I have someone in the family that does some PC repair but he lives about an hour away so I may just take it up to him next time I go and see if he can diagnose it for sure. I will probably end up buying a PSU and trying that before I take it to him since they are not all that expensive.
BONGWATER via Etree:

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 09:45:48 PM »
i've fried a couple psus. lost the mb with one of them. not having the spare parts laying around, i found it best to take the machine to the little shop up the road for a bench test. usually by the end of the day i know what all is toast for $25. not wasting money buying parts that work fine and the time saved waiting for them to show up one after the other is well worth the $25 imo. last time i just had them go ahead and replace the psu and for ruffly the same money i planned to spend had it back at the end of the day instead of waiting a week for a new one to be shipped.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

nathan_g

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 01:57:08 AM »
Thanks a ton for your reply....

You bet!

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 11:04:28 AM »
I'm sure this isn't the case, but did you make sure that you (or somebody) didn't accidentally flip the power switch on the PSU itself?  I've done that before -- turned it off (on the back) for whatever reason, and then spent 15 minutes checking and rechecking connections to the motherboard when the computer wouldn't  power on before remembering that I had flipped the switch on the back of the PSU.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:12:13 PM by mattmiller »
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »
you can use a multimeter to test the psu or you can get a power supply tester.  power supply tester is much easier and safer.  that's where I would start.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=133&name=PC-Tools

info on using multimeter

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2005/03/02/learn-how-to-diagnose-power-supply-problems/

If the wall outlet and the power cord are good, make sure the connection at the motherboard is secure. Then you may have to face the fact that the power supply itself is bad. If you have a multimeter, you can test the power supply output before purchasing a new one. Simply follow these steps:

1. Turn off the PC, but do not unplug it. Open the system unit. Set the multimeter to read DC volts in the next range higher than 12 volts. Locate a power connector similar to the hard drive (or CD-ROM drive connector that is unused) and turn on the PC.
   2. You can also unplug a drive connector and use it. Turn on the PC and insert the BLACK probe into the power connector on one of the BLACK wires. Touch the RED probe to the YELLOW wire on the power connector.
   3. The multimeter reading should be +12 volts. Now touch the RED probe to the RED wire and the reading should be +5 volts. If no readings or different readings occurred, you’ll have to replace the power supply. If the readings were correct, you should check the P8 or P9 connectors at the motherboard. These connectors may also be named P4 and P5. To check these connectors, perform the following:
          * Insert the BLACK probe into P8 at one of the BLACK wires. Insert the RED probe into the P8 connector at the RED wire. The reading on the multimeter should be +5 volts.
          * Check the power going to the motherboard connections by inserting the RED probe into P8 at the YELLOW wire and you should get +12 volts. Leave the BLACK wire touching the BLACK wire at the P8 connector. Check the BLUE wire and the reading should be a -12 volts.
          * Now move the BLACK probe to the BLACK wire on the P9 connector. Test the WHITE wire by inserting the RED probe and the reading should be -5 volts. Check the RED wires on the P9 connector and you should get +5 volts on each red wire. You won’t get exactly 5 or 12 volts, but the readings will be very close, such as 5.02 volts.
          * If the Power Supply is a couple of volts off in either direction, such as when the RED wire should be reading -5 volts but it reads -8 volts, or if there are no readings, replace the power supply.

DO NOT remove the power supply from the system unit case when performing these tests. DO NOT perform these tests if you do not feel comfortable. Be sure to remove any and all electrical static build-up from your clothes and body BEFORE touching any parts inside the system unit. And NEVER open the power supply case for any reason, since high voltage may be present.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »
I think a multimeter test of the power supply is a waste of time.  It won't tell you amperage, you may not be able to get the probes in the connectors, etc.  It's just a headache.  I don't think I saw anyone mention smell as a diagnostic.  A lot of times, a dead p/s will have that smell...

It is really handy to have a spare p/s on the shelf for testing, and also to get you back up running if you're on a deadline.  Even if it isn't powerful enough to supply all your hard drives, it doesn't take much to power a m/b.  It's also something to grab out of a friend's dead/old pc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com