Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iso of small mp3 style player that plays flac and has at least a 20g capacity  (Read 3464 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Ski season is fast approaching and seeing as how my little rio mp3 player only holds 256mb of mp3's, it is only good for my weekly 3mile runs.  I'm looking for a player that is relatively small, will play flac files, and hold at least 20 gigs of files.  I'm too lazy to convert my stuff to mp3 so the ability to play flac is a must.  It would be nice if it could be a backup/extra recorder.  I'm thinking my only option is an h-120 w/ Rockbox.  Just wondering if their are other options out there in the same price range and also how the h-120 would stand up to some heavy movement on the ski slopes.  Should I just say no to all hard drive players and look for something that plays sd or cf cards?  Of course that route limits my capacity and increases my costs.  Cheaper the better as it will probably get destroyed anyways, I'm a little reckless on the slopes  >:D

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
-Jon

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Dunno much about the H120, but I like my iAudio M3.  Latest and greatest, the M5 (audio only) and X5 (audio + video), both play FLAC.  FWIW, converting to MP3 or OGG or some such really isn't all that hard.  Just use dBPowerAMP, select all the FLAC files you want to convert, and fire it off.  Sleep on it, go to work, etc., come back and they're all done.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
if you're gonna trash it you could just buy an old ipod and rockbox it. see rockbox.org for supported models.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

stirinthesauce

if you're gonna trash it you could just buy an old ipod and rockbox it. see rockbox.org for supported models.

Dunno much about the H120, but I like my iAudio M3.  Latest and greatest, the M5 (audio only) and X5 (audio + video), both play FLAC.  FWIW, converting to MP3 or OGG or some such really isn't all that hard.  Just use dBPowerAMP, select all the FLAC files you want to convert, and fire it off.  Sleep on it, go to work, etc., come back and they're all done.

Thanks for the tips.  I wasn't aware rockbox could work for both models mentioned (ipod and iaudio).  Guess I'm gonna troll ebay and see what I can get.  Definitely will probably get trashed so the used market is best for me. 

Brian, I have dbpoweramp but have yet to use it.  I just want the convenience of dragging and dropping flac files.  One more step is just one more thing I would rather not deal with. 

Thanks for the tips fellas  :)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
I would not recommend a HDD based player for rough, fast movements...the shock of such movements will definitely wreck your player.  Go solid state.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

stirinthesauce

I would not recommend a HDD based player for rough, fast movements...the shock of such movements will definitely wreck your player.  Go solid state.

Any recommendations on one with decent capacity and plays flac?  Brian's rec. on the x5 shows that it is shock resistant.  I'm clueless on the product lines for personal, portable players but my necessities are that it plays flac files and has a fairly large storage capacity, preferrebly around 20gigs. 

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
honestly man, if I were you, I'd bite the bullet and convert them to mp3.  If you convert them to mp3, you can spend much less money on one with much less capacity, which, imo, is a good idea if you know its gonna get destroyed.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer

Any recommendations on one with decent capacity and plays flac?  Brian's rec. on the x5 shows that it is shock resistant.  I'm clueless on the product lines for personal, portable players but my necessities are that it plays flac files and has a fairly large storage capacity, preferrebly around 20gigs. 

I honestly can't recommend any solid state players since I've never owned any.  However, I would highly recommend a trip over to head-fi.org and check out reviews.  Maybe a solid state player with 4GB capacity should do it for you.  I gotta agree with pfife, forget flac, just mp3 whatever you need for mobile use and keep your flacs on your pc. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
second on the DB poweramp.  Convert your flacs to VBR mp3...still sounds very good.

highlight files>right click>done

I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
more dbpoweramp fluffing.  With my iaudio m3, I simply copy the flacs over to my player, use windoze' search function to find "*.flac" on the player, select all found flacs and rightclick convert 'em to mp3s.  Since the player will play both flac and mp3, this makes x-fering to the player quick and easy and gives me a relatively simple method of claiming back space once I start to reach its (40gb) capacity.

Offline phr

• Taperssection Regular
I agree about the hard disk.  I'd say run some batch program that converts all the flacs to mp3 or ogg (let it run overnight if necessary), then get a flash player.  My favorite flash player for sportiness and ruggedness is the iRiver T10 but its largest model is 2GB, equiv to maybe 10-12GB of Flacs.  It plays MP3 and Ogg Vorbis and runs for around 40 hours on one regular AA cell.  You can get an 8GB Sandisk E280 (MP3 only) for around $180 now but it uses a proprietary ($20 replacement, at least it's removable) lithium battery and has some annoying UI decisions.  I'd never buy an Ipod.

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...

anyone here previously used an ipod and then switch to something else, like the Cowon?  i'm curious to see if people had to re-extract their music collection, or if it could be transferred from itunes to the new software.  thanks.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.682 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com