Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Etymotic Research questions  (Read 10894 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Etymotic Research questions
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 11:00:04 PM »
Thx.

From the Etymotic site liked above:
"ER•4 MicroPro Earphones have special filters that shape the frequency response and prevent earwax from entering the earphones."
  I wonder if the filters are different for the ER4B's to 'shape the frequency response' differently as the cuve shows in the link above. 

Yeah, it would be cool, but they sell only one style of "green filters" so all they are filtering is ear wax.  I sometimes clean out the white flanges with a toothpick and now soak them in soapy water now and again or in rubbing alcohol.  They are good.  I paid about US$140 when I got mine; maybe even US$125.  It was a long, long time ago.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 08:51:26 PM »
So, I just got the ER-6's and had another set of custom molds made for my ears. My first, impression, using them with the Westone molds, is they are thin sounding. I will have more time over the weekend to test them. But, just doing an A/B with my HD600's, out of a GoVibe headphone amp, the Sennheisers offer much fuller sound.

I'm very excited about the new molded ear plugs, as I also bought the Etymotic ES-15 filters for them, too. My old plugs were very muffled sounding.

I'm wondering if the ER-6's need a break-in period to sound better?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 03:41:31 AM »
I cannot vouch for the sound of the ER6's.  But in considering their sound are you sure the old ones were correct or the new ones?  The old ones could have pumped the sound and the new ones are more accurate, but less exciting.  You will have to determine this yourself.  Good luck.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 08:45:39 AM »
So, I just got the ER-6's and had another set of custom molds made for my ears. My first, impression, using them with the Westone molds, is they are thin sounding. I will have more time over the weekend to test them. But, just doing an A/B with my HD600's, out of a GoVibe headphone amp, the Sennheisers offer much fuller sound.

I'm very excited about the new molded ear plugs, as I also bought the Etymotic ES-15 filters for them, too. My old plugs were very muffled sounding.

They're not going to have the low end of your 600's.  Break in helps but don't expect the same presentation or bass response.  They're a completely different animal.

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 08:44:13 PM »
Ive rocked the 4p's since i got my first nomad jukebox back in 01/02ish.

I bought mine used, at the time, they were well over $300. The cable eventually went bad, and they gave me a whole new set for $150 (at that time they were still over $250).

The $180 pairs on ebay are the deals of the century, imo. You'd be hardpressed to tell a difference between the s and p series sonically, and youd almost certianly need a headphone amp to get the most out of the s's

They're not going to have the low end of your 600's.  Break in helps but don't expect the same presentation or bass response.  They're a completely different animal.

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 09:17:30 PM »
homebrew adapter for 4p to 4s:

http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

i actually just bought one already made off ebay for $20:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290200583700
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.362 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com