Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661  (Read 136172 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2010, 11:50:32 PM »
I have an Oade T+mod UA-5 and a stock FR2-le, but I've been looking to go smaller. Is an OCM 661 as quiet as a stock FR2-le?

I'll put it this way.  I owned a V3 before purchasing an OCM661, and kept it for a while to see how quiet and transparent the 661 was.  As much as I loved the V3 (and still do), it was no problem letting it go. 

The ocm661 is awesome as an all in one.  Period.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »
I have an Oade T+mod UA-5 and a stock FR2-le, but I've been looking to go smaller. Is an OCM 661 as quiet as a stock FR2-le?

I'll put it this way.  I owned a V3 before purchasing an OCM661, and kept it for a while to see how quiet and transparent the 661 was.  As much as I loved the V3 (and still do), it was no problem letting it go. 

So I'm sold that the OCM 661 could replace my UA-5 and FR2-le as front-end/standalone. Could it replace my iriver for DAT transfers? Any definitive answer on possible resampling through the digi in?
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2010, 11:37:16 AM »

So I'm sold that the OCM 661 could replace my UA-5 and FR2-le as front-end/standalone. Could it replace my iriver for DAT transfers? Any definitive answer on possible resampling through the digi in?

I've done some basic testing, and the digital input doesn't resample (as with the other marantz decks, the PMD-670 and the 671).  I've also done many many DAT transfers with the 661 by now, with no issues.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2010, 01:55:31 AM »
I noticed in the user manual that there is a hi-pass and a low-pass function, but no mention anywhere in the manual what frequencies are involved. Anyone know?

Finally, has anybody done a comp between a stock and modded unit? Price difference is not huge, but I'm still curious.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
using digital coax in?
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2010, 12:59:33 PM »
I tried searching but couldn't find an answer to this problem.  I tried using the digital in for the first time to record audio from my Motorola DVR's digital coax out into my 661, but got super high levels (just static type sounds) that went all the way to clipping and stayed there.  I assumed that the 661 needs to have a matching bit rate and sampling frequency to the DVR but couldn't get a 'normal' signal with 16 or 24 bit with all the different frequencies tried. 

So, I guess my question is how does one use the digi in on the 661?  I did switch via presets to the digital input setting so that's not the issue. 

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: using digital coax in?
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »
I tried using the digital in for the first time to record audio from my Motorola DVR's digital coax out into my 661, but got super high levels (just static type sounds) that went all the way to clipping and stayed there. 

Copy protection/inhibit flag from the source?
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »
Copy protection/inhibit flag from the source?

Oh, is that possible?  I've never tried it and had no idea that could be done.  Lame, but I guess you can always go analog in.  Thanks for the info/idea!

Anyone know if the 661 has to be matched (bitrate/sampling frequency) to the source when going digi-in? 

Offline gatorglenn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
I tried using the digital in for the first time to record audio from my Motorola DVR's digital coax out into my 661, but got super high levels (just static type sounds) that went all the way to clipping and stayed there.

I think it could be copy protection but I also think that the output coming from your DVR is probably a dolby surround signal. Do you have options on the output of the DVR digital signals?

Glenn

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »
I think it could be copy protection but I also think that the output coming from your DVR is probably a dolby surround signal. Do you have options on the output of the DVR digital signals?

Glenn

Thanks for the input, I hadn't considered the compatibility of the signal in terms of 5.1 or 2 channels.  Not sure about configuring the output, probably but I've never tried.  Think I'll just stick to the RCA outs next time I tape from my DVR.  :P

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »
the sample rate on the PMD-661 has to set to match the ouput of whatever is upstream.  If the sample rate on the 661 doesn't match the upstream gear, it won't lock on the digi signal.  16 bit / 24 bit doesn't matter as much.  if it's set to 16 bit and the upstream gear is sending 24, the signal will be truncated by the 661, but it'll still lock.  Likewise, if the deck is set to 24 bit and the upstream gear is sending 16 bit, you'll just be wasting disc space.

anyway, my guess is that the digital signal from your DVR wasn't stereo LPCM, and that's why it sounds like static.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »
Makes sense, thanks for the input!

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
Just got this from Marantz in response to an inquiry about using external DC power.

"We do not support using anything other than the DA620PMD as your external DC source. Also you might experience a much different performance since the power signal from the batteries will have to travel through an internal circuitry."

I thought several of you were using external power without issues, correct? FYI, the Radio Shack adaptaplug tip "B" fits the 661.

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
Had a chance to reluctantly test the internal mics on my WMOD 661 this weekend after being shut down by the owner of the Iron Horse in Northampton, MA. So I went into stealth mode and ran with the mic attenuator at -18dB which allowed me to hit -12dB with the rec. level knob between 5 & 6 (which is where it ends up with my DPAs) and I got a well-balanced, distortion-free show. It was an amplified rock show, and I must say I'm quite impressed and wouldn't hesitate to use it again in a pinch.

Can anyone with more technical knowledge than me explain if (and how) Doug's mod improves the path/quality of the internal mics as well, or just the XLRs?

-james

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure it does not mess with the internal mics at all, so what you got was what a stock unit would do.

Very cool!

makes me wonder, looking at the screens covering the mics, what is in there, or more importantly, what you could put in there...

I've been a set of DPA4061s for 8 years now, and it would be the worlds best all in one if those were grafted into the insides. But it is possible that what's inside is a much better choice.

jb

once again, lost in all the noise

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »
Just got this from Marantz in response to an inquiry about using external DC power.

"We do not support using anything other than the DA620PMD as your external DC source. Also you might experience a much different performance since the power signal from the batteries will have to travel through an internal circuitry."

I thought several of you were using external power without issues, correct? FYI, the Radio Shack adaptaplug tip "B" fits the 661.

I used to use an external battery pack (the Tekkeon MP3450 is what I used to use).  It worked great, and powered the deck for a long time (15+ hours with phantom power on).  the only reason why I don't use it any more is because it was just way overkill.  with ~5 hours from the internal AA's, I just don't need to carry an extra external battery.  All that said, you shouldn't have any issues with an external battery, as long as it outputs 5V.  I think Marantz says what they do just to cover their ass, in case someone sends a 9V or 12V power feed into the deck and fries it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com