Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do I need a headphone amp if ... ?  (Read 2131 times)

Offline javertim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Do I need a headphone amp if ... ?
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:41:35 PM »
Do I need a headphone amp if I am plugging my phones into a Sony surround-sound receiver? ... I mean, will an amp power them more than the receiver does, or are amps more suited to those who would like to digitally store their music and play back on a computer?  I just don't want to spend extra $ on an amp if it's not really going to do me any good.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Do I need a headphone amp if ... ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:24:57 PM »
Try it and see if you like the sound!

Many people, however, use headphones which require a lot of current (AKG k701, Senn HD650), and therefore only realize their potential when driven by appropriate electronics.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline javertim

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:39:24 PM »
Well, I have seriously been considering the purchase of the AKG K601s.  I mainly listen to classical music and have read that the expansive soundstage of this set works wonders with such.  I was also considering the Beyerdynamic DT880s, but it seems that the aforementioned phones are just a better fit for classical music recordings.

That being said, I am fresh out of college, so even fronting the extra dollarage to "try out" a headphone amp would be a considerable endeavor for me.  In the same vein, however, I don't want to purchase the AKG K601s and then realize (after burn-in time) that I'm going to need an amp anyway.

I've been reading all I can over at head-fi.org, but everyone seems to give different suggestions (no cut-and-dry purchase advice).  I wish there was a place somewhere around me that I could visit and try various models out.  Oh, well.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
Sorry, I meant plug your headphones into your receiver and see if you like the sound. The AKGs will work that way. their general character will still be apparent, just potentially better with a dedicated amp.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline javertim

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:07:30 PM »
Thanks, Noah! :)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »
Yep, try it out of the receiver's headphone jack and see if it suffices.  I used to own the older K501's and felt my receiver's headphone jack drove them well enough for music and especially movie listening. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 12:15:57 AM »
I have the AKG k701's, they aren't a difficult pair of cans to drive, Id assume the 601's aren't much different in that reguard. If you can swing it I'd give the 701's a look also, Headphone.com (HeadRoom) had them for a fair price, you have to call them for pricing, or even consider a well-taken-care-of used pair.

I've only heard the 880's a couple times so any input I'd have on them would be about worthless, but in my opinion the k701's are phenominal if you want an open sounding/transparent and very detailed set of cans, they just don't sound like headphones. (in a good way)

I don't know about the 880's but my HD-650's want power, they don't truly shine until they're fed juice, with and without an amp is night and day. With the k701's the improvement not as drastic, they seem to benefit more from a cleaner amp (better detail, soundstage), not as due to them being under-powered. I'll use my AKG's on my Marantz's aux jack or DAT deck's jack, I won't bother with the 650's.

A quality amp should be a nice improvement to most stock (if not all) reciever auxillary headphone jacks, but if you want to save some money now invest in a nice set of cans now and pick up an amp down the road when you have the extra cheese. With the AKG's you'd probably be able to really enjoy them without an amp, and leave some room for improvement later.

:headphones:
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com