Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4006/DPA 4011 with new MMP-E active cable  (Read 1813 times)

Offline bhoy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
DPA 4006/DPA 4011 with new MMP-E active cable
« on: June 12, 2014, 11:20:18 PM »
Is anyone running the new DPA 4006/4011 capsules with the new MMP-E active cables yet?   

There are two bodies available for these capsules:
MMP-A (full)
MMP-C (compact)

Just wondering if there is any loss in quality using the active cable vs. the full body.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DPA 4006/DPA 4011 with new MMP-E active cable
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 02:45:30 AM »
I haven't used the MMP-E active cable, but I run 4006C's with the compact preamplifier MMP-C and the DPA low-profile XLR cable.

I haven't done or heard direct comps between MMP-A/MMP-C/MMP-E, but there are some spec differences, as I'm sure you are aware if you've looked into this. Between MMP-A and MMP-C, MMP-A has slightly lower bass extension, slightly greater dynamic range, slightly better external noise rejection. There are the same differences again between MMP-C and MMP-E, with MMP-C having the better specs compared to MMP-E.

So if size did not matter (and we all know it DOES!), you would probably choose MMP-A over MMP-C and MMP-C over MMP-E. But I have read that certainly the differences between MMP-A and MMP-C are quite subtle, and that changing the grids or APE's on the 4006's has a far greater influence on the sound than the choice of preamp.

I suppose the differences between MMP-A and MMP-E might become more obvious in a head to head. So I chose 'C' over 'E' so that those differences would be minimised, whilst still retaining the small form factor.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 04:21:56 AM by yates7592 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com