Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just bought an Edirol R09HR. What else do I need?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline vissidarte27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Just bought an Edirol R09HR. What else do I need?
« on: March 02, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
Hi folks.

I've done some searching and haven't really found what I'm looking for (although that could certainly be my fault, as I'm not familiar with this format just yet), so I thought I would post here and ask my questions. If this is an inappropriate place, my apologies and mods, feel free to move it.

I am a student in a music conservatory- classical music- and I've recently purchased an Edirol for my own personal use. I noticed, however, that nobody at my institution tapes recitals and that students have to find their own ways to record. I think I could make some decent money if I was able to rig up something with my Edirol that would make a high enough quality recording to satisfy the student/client. I know I'll need external microphones and probably a preamp, but other than that, I'm pretty lost. My questions for you are as follows:

What external mics are compatible with the R09HR? I'm specifically looking for something that can be placed at the foot of the stage, and maybe another that can be hooked up near the piano.

What other equiptment would I need to get an adequate recording?

Can you recommend any post production software that is particularly user friendly?

I'm looking for the simplest set up possible that will still yield results. I want to make sure that I'm putting out something that it worth charging for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: Just bought an Edirol R09HR. What else do I need?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
It all depends on what you want to do and how much you have budgeted. A lot of it comes down to your particular needs and personal tastes. You can do quite well with a pair of Church Audio's CA-14 mics and his CA-9100 preamp. Affordable, very portable and battery powered. Or you can step up a bit by getting some phantom powered mics and a preamp that will power them. You can go as high as your wallet is thick. You might want to read through Team R-09's discussions first, they've covered all this territory before: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84382.0.html
Also there have been several recent discussions about what gear to buy to go with an R-09, try using the search engine to find those.

Once you've done some reading, check out the Yard Sale and the Retail sales section for deals.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »

Mic mounts,cables,a stand,windscreens.....those are things you'll be needing if you're planning on doing work for people. Probably should get a gear bag or something too.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
If you are always or almost always recording in good venues you can use omnidirectional (omni's) mics.  If you are not you will be better off with cardioid (card's) mics.  I do not believe that the R09HR supplies phantom power (48 volts) for mics so you will be well off with electret mics and possibly a battery box.  This is tiny gear.  In a pinch you can carry the whole kit in a jacket.  A gear bag is a good idea.  Yes, you will need some sort of mic stand, too.

There are a number of mic sources.  Sound Professionals and Microphone Madness have mics for classical works.  Church Audio makes mics which are well respected here, but I think that even by the maker's admission they are more for pop/rock than classical.  Send Chris a note to be sure.

Over half of the recording will be the room, then mic placement in the room and then the mic itself.  This applies to acoustic.  Rock is simpler.  Pretty much just point the mics at the stacks and start recording.

The Bartlett book, Recording on Location in invaluable.

You should be able to get the hang of it pretty quick.  With the cards you will most likely be using an ORTF array a lot: 17cm spacing, 110 degree included angle.  It is a safe go-to array.  There are others.  Check Stereo Zoom which is a sticky in the microphones section here.  And have fun.  And, yes, good recording can make you some money.  Just do not forget that your customers are poor students.   ;o)

PS - Audacity is the editor of choice around here.  It is free and runs on PC, Mac and Linux.  It is not very hard to learn.  You would do well to D/L a copy and play with it with some WAV files you have to get the hang of it.    8)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:44:23 AM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »

The Bartlett book, Recording on Location in invaluable.

I agree, I have a copy and was looking back through the book just last Friday. I do think it is written a bit inside out for our usual uses in that the section about recording an orchestra applies more to us that the part about recording a band. But it is a good reference.

Since the OP was talking about recording students many of the situations will involve recording a single instrument so a book on mic placement for specific instruments would also be a good read. For example I've read that mic'ing flutes can be a problem. I don't have any titles handy but I've seen books on that very subject in the library at work.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »
You might want to check out the Audio Technica U853 "hanging choir" microphones. They would work very well for orchestra use.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 08:37:41 PM »
If you are going to go with external mics and phantom power (and I think you should), the simplest way to go might be to sell the R09HR and buy a Fostex FR2-LE.  I have nothing against the Edirol, but the Fostex has XLR mic inputs and phantom power, so you'll be able to keep it simple.  Selling your Edirol and buying a FR2-LE should not be too difficult in the Yard Sale section of this forum.

As for mics, take a look at the Busman Small Diameter Condensers , the BSC1 set.  http://www.busmanaudio.com/bsc1.html
It comes with just about all you need to start recording: 4 mic capsules for each mic, shockmounts, and a stereo bar.  The whole set is $450 (as of today).  These mics ARE good enough and quiet enough for classical recording because I've used them for it.

Buy some mic cables and buy or borrow a mic stand (most music schools have a bunch lying around) and you're ready to go.

Audacity it the way to go for editing SW.  It's good and the price is right.

So your total is about $1000 (minus whatever $ you get for your Edirol), and you will be able to make some nice recordings.  That is, your equipment will be capable of making some nice recordings; the rest will depend on you.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »
You might want to check out the Audio Technica U853 "hanging choir" microphones. They would work very well for orchestra use.

Seconded.  Since you are probably recording relatively quite music (not head-banging rock concerts) you can probably just get mics and run "mic in" on the recorder.  Pure and simple.  That's what this is, and I think it sounds pretty good http://www.archive.org/details/Assembly_of_Dust_2007-03-17.at853

I'm not saying these will make "professional produced recordings", but I presume that's not exactly what you are talking about.  I presume the target market is fellow students and "for $5 I will give you a CD of your performance".  The above and a free program called "audacity" will get you there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:46:19 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com