Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Conflicted About What to Include...  (Read 5659 times)

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Formerly Phan2001
Re: Conflicted About What to Include...
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »
It pisses me off because one of my favorite bands no longer allows recording( Jorma and Hot Tuna) because of this I no longer go see them.

This is something I just can't understand.  So for you, and many others
I'm guessing, it really isn't about seeing/enjoying/listening to live music?
It's more about just being able to record it?  They could be terrible and
you'd still go as long as you can record?  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy
recording live music but I go for the music first.  If I can record, great.
If not, I'm still going because I enjoy the music.

/thread hijack.

I dont go to shows I cant tape very often. The ones I do go to, I stealth. I enjoy taping, I enjoy music, and I have a limited budget. It's like a ven diagram where I pretty much only see the music I like AND can tape.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline J.Maye

• Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
It turned out real well for the last guy.  ::)

What happened to him?

Nothing really happened to him, but he was ripped up one side and down the other for contributing to an article about getting a DPA>722 rig past security.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
A lot of people on this board have thrown fits and left shows because they were denied.  I think their priorities are backwards.  Support the band, stay and listen to the music and chill out.

Agree 100%.  I got denied at an Animal Collective show a couple months ago.   I wasn't thrilled - and asked to speak to the tour manager, and was told he "definitely said they don't allow taping", which I'm pretty sure is BS - but I don't see what the point would be in leaving. I paid for the ticket, I like the band enough to go out and see them.  If I don't like the band enough to even SEE their show then why should I be taping it?  The whole mentality of letting taping drive your musical taste or what you go to see vs. the other way around is baffling to me. 

Needless to say, I checked my gear, said thank you very much, and stayed for the show, hopefully leaving a positive impression with the venue for next time.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »
I agree that I would go see a band I liked whether or not I could tape.  On the other hand, there are bands I would see only because I was able to tape. 

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »
It pisses me off because one of my favorite bands no longer allows recording( Jorma and Hot Tuna) because of this I no longer go see them.

This is something I just can't understand.  So for you, and many others
I'm guessing, it really isn't about seeing/enjoying/listening to live music?
It's more about just being able to record it?  They could be terrible and
you'd still go as long as you can record?  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy
recording live music but I go for the music first.  If I can record, great.
If not, I'm still going because I enjoy the music.

/thread hijack.

I support bands who support recording live music....I still love hot tuna but I won't stealth them because its wrong to do...If I can't record them I'd rather spend my money on someone I can....I would much rather see a band I can record and relive again and again...share with friends...I can't tell you the last time I saw a band I didn't record....wait panic in april of 08...but I would have to go back years I mean years before I could find a show I didn't record...That is how much I love to record....there are other reasons too...but back to the topic...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:23:28 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »
I want to apologize to the community for my rant...I have to take my own advise and respect others opinions...

I like the idea of a positive article about recording........anything to break the negative stereo types about recording live shows...and bootlegging...as far as stealthing is concerned i would speak to how its not a favorable thing to do that respecting the wishes of an artist is priority and is what allows us to record in the first place....

There are a lot of bands that would never be where they are without tapers....and there are tapers that wouldn't be who they are with the bands.....its a community.....a misunderstood community and anything you can do to write about it in a positive light is definitely a good thing...

Again I apologize for my rant.....
OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline frogger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
I would definitely point out the positive aspects of taping for the band.  I went to Greyfox last weekend.  I was talking to Sam Grisman (David's son) and his band, the Boston Boys.  They wanted their music spread all over the net for people to hear.  It helps them build an audience and a name.  I was approached by another person, J. B. Beverley (of J. B. Beverley & the Wayward Drifters) who gave me a demo CD he was handing out and said "come see us, we are very taper friendly".  Tapers have become the promo people for a lot of bands and it works well for both the taper and the band.  I definitely would stay away from mentioning stealth taping.  There is nothing to gain for anybody by bringing it up.

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 01:05:01 PM »
It turned out real well for the last guy.  ::)

What happened to him?

Nothing really happened to him, but he was ripped up one side and down the other for contributing to an article about getting a DPA>722 rig past security.

He's back to posting his shows (after a 2 year(?) hiatus).  He goes by "not logged in" on TTD.   :alert: :flaming:

;D
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com