Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do you use headphones when taping?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline phishmarisol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
Do you use headphones when taping?
« on: February 04, 2004, 03:38:53 PM »
If so, can you help me find a decent pair.  Not looking to invest very much at all into this...$200 headphones just aren't my thing.  So basically $50 is my MAX.  Thanks.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:Do you use headphones when taping?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 03:41:59 PM »
I dont use them and dont understand those that do.  Unless you are using them to decide between patterns to run, it is a waste.  You can tell if you are getting levels on the gear, and quite honestly, you run the risk of ruining your hearing quickly if you turn it up as loud as you will have to in order to hear anything in the field.

That being said, I have a set of SR-80s at home and love them.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 03:53:29 PM »
i don't run headphone in the field and have never really found a reason to do so.

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 03:56:31 PM »
i don't run headphone in the field and have never really found a reason to do so.

The reason I use them is basically a safeguard that the mics aren't malfunctioning in a way where they would be transmitting some sort of corrupted signal that was still producing levels.  It's probably silly but I feel better being able to hear it rather than just see it on the levels.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 04:04:46 PM »
i use them just to balance the left and right, because what the levels show as balanced is not always what we hear as balanced

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 04:11:44 PM »
i dont use them, but i could see that testing the mics with headphones would be a good plan.  I like to take as little as possible with me to a show.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 04:16:51 PM »
I use headphones, really about the frist 5 minutes and occasionally thereafter to check things...

I found that first, it was pointless, I couldn't hear what was headphone and what was PA...

But recently I bought this little headphone amp (not a REAL one), but this thing called a Boostaroo.  It is a 3 headphone splitter/booster made for gameboys and walkmans...  $20...

Anyways, that boosts my signal so I can hear.  It generally sounds crappy, but it does give me an idea of what my recording sounds like compared to the room.

Recently, at less crowded shows, I've worn my headphones because I can eliminate half the audience noise that way - at least to my ears.  No talkers right next to me, my "ears" are now 5 feet above my head.

Of course, I'm part of Team Ghetto Rig, so what do I know...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 04:40:18 PM »
I don't use headphones unless I'm in a festival-like setting where I may want and have opportunity to evaluate my configuration (pattern, config, height) between sets..

I've used them on occasion to check L/R balance, as I think Scott is right - visual L/R balance on the meters doesn't always equal audible L/R to the listener.  In those cases, I've always used my Etymotic ER6s - in-ear 'phones that attenuate external noise and don't need to be cranked to hearing damaging levels for a listen.  But mostly, I get close enough to L/R balance for my tastes using my super-duper flashy meters on my V3.   :sonar:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 04:52:10 PM »
i use them just to balance the left and right, because what the levels show as balanced is not always what we hear as balanced

ditto...with the mp-2, i find it easier to balance the levels with my ears than with the led's, and then look at the led's to make sure they "line up"

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 04:52:41 PM »
I've just been using small cheap Sony earbuds to check quality, make sure both channels sound "okay", and see how the image sounds to the ear. I don't wear them for more than a few seconds at a time. But cup style headphones are a waste, you'll never hear them over the room unless you have them maxed on volume. You have to go in ear, and probably need to duck down too.

Offline RobC

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 02:53:57 AM »
I don't use headphones unless I'm in a festival-like setting where I may want and have opportunity to evaluate my configuration (pattern, config, height) between sets..

Same here,  but I don't usually bother bringing mine, I just borrow a pair for the min or two it takes to make sure thinks sound ok between sets.
km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

cpclark

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 03:31:14 AM »
i carry my sony earbuds with me, but almost never use them to check levels, just look at the level meters and everything should be all good, just keep it hot

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 04:53:54 AM »
ditto...with the mp-2, i find it easier to balance the levels with my ears than with the led's, and then look at the led's to make sure they "line up"

One could go blind watching the meters on an MP-2!  8)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 09:41:23 AM »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2004, 10:35:38 AM »
I use headphones because I used to have a problem with static in my recordings.  The problem was software based and you couldn't tell from just looking at the levels.  I haven't had the problem in a long time now, but I always use the headphones when the show starts, just in case. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com