Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 > PC trouble.  (Read 3406 times)

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
UA-5 > PC trouble.
« on: February 05, 2004, 09:14:51 PM »
hey i'm having trouble connecting my wmod ua-5 to my dell inspiron 4000.  it acknowledges the ua-5, so i would think that it would record, but i don't get any levels in.  i tried for an hour, then searched here for an hour, either i'm stupid, or i just suck at the internet... or searching these forums.  anyhelp will get good vibes, a +T, and if i get it working a freebie of my show on saturday..  thanks.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turn JB Up
Re:UA-5 > PC trouble.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 10:23:29 PM »
I had the same problem at my second show running 24 bit. I had a successfull 24 bit outing on the 30th at the HOB ....but on the 31st, no signal to the laptop. I still have yet to set it up and try to figure it out. I tried everything at the show...
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 12:46:39 AM »
Are you trying to run 16 or 24 bit?
What OS?

Check if the device is recognized in Device Manager.

What are you using to record?  You'll need to select the right device in the recording software.

I've noticed that I need to hook up the UA-5 and power it up before I open Wavelab or the device doesn't get recognized by wavelab.

KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 01:18:42 AM »
k so i've tried cool edit, and cdwave.  i'm just trying to get 16 bit down for now, then 24 later.  when i'm in cdwave i will select ua-5 usb audio, then it still doesn't wanna get a signal.  right now i can't tell much more as too many martini's have gotten to me, but i'll try it tomarrow as i have a work evaluation, then i'm off the rest of the day, then i can probalby think a little more clearly.  thanks again.  +t's.

matt

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

cpclark

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 03:41:28 AM »
make sure you have the right drivers installed, different drivers for 16 and 24 bit, you might also try powering up the ua-5 before you start the computer too.  with my experience, as long as you turn on the ua-5 before you open recording software, works everytime in 16 bit

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 04:13:34 AM »
i don't mean to hijack the thread, i just have a quick question to make sure i'm doing this right.  how exactly do you know if you're recording in 16bit or 24bit with the ua-5?  i'm pretty sure i'm doing it right, but now i'm worried.

oh, and i also find it funny that you're drinking martini's the night before your work evaluation.  i hope its not too early in the morning.  +t

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Taperssection Member
  • "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain."
    • Show List
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 07:20:46 AM »
Make sure that in the Device Manager lists the UA5 specifically.  It may be reading the generic USB Audio device.
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 12:07:39 PM »
Don't forget to turn on the advanced switch as well...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 02:30:30 PM »
The UA-5 records in 16 bit when the advanced switch on the rear is set to "off". I believe in 16 bit that the computer uses the basic sound driver. For 24 bit, the advanced switch should be in the "on" position. In 24 bit, the computer uses the advanced driver that you installed.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 02:57:54 PM »
thanks guys, i'm gonna work on it again, just got my battery packs built now its time to try again, +t's again to all, hopefully i'll get it going, thanks.

matt

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 03:29:59 PM »
Don't forget... when the Advance Switch is set to "on", that the front selector must also be switched to 96 khz play or record depending on what you doing.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 03:34:29 PM »
That's untrue. Advance is for 48kHz & up.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Brian

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 03:43:48 PM »
i actually tried recording my band in my basement over xmas break: mixer>xlr>ua5>usb>computer

and while i could get 24bit/96khz and 16bit/44.1, 48, & 96kHz signals,  i couldn't get my computer to recognize a 24bit/48khz signal.

anything i can do about that. i installed all the windows 2000 drivers so i'm not sure where exactly the problem could be. also i am completely aware of the "Advance" buttons and settings on the UA5 itself.

thanks,
Brian

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 12:02:32 PM »
i don't mean to hijack the thread, i just have a quick question to make sure i'm doing this right.  how exactly do you know if you're recording in 16bit or 24bit with the ua-5?  i'm pretty sure i'm doing it right, but now i'm worried.

To record in 24 bit you need 3 things to be in place:
  • ADV switch on back of UA-5 set to on
  • Install the 'advanced' drivers that came on the UA-5 disc
  • Set your recording software to 24 bit
For 16 bit
  • no special drivers required (at least not in win2k - the device was just recognized)
  • ADV switch set to off
  • Set your recording software to 16 bit
Any time you change settings on the UA-5, you need to power cycle it for the changes to take effect.  You usually need to restart your recording software as well.

I remember the 24 bit drivers going missing after the box was run in 16 bit once and I had to reinstall them.  It hasn't happened since but I keep the 24 bit driver install on the hard drive just in case.

You can tell what mode you're running by looking at the device manager - I use the MME drivers in 24 bit.  It appears under Sound, Video and Game Controllers as EDIROL UA-5 (MME)

If I turn the ADV switch off, it appears as USB Audio Device.  Double clicking reveals the Edirol UA-5 name and it uses a generic USB audio driver that comes with the OS.

If you open up your device manager and expand the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section you can watch the devices appear and disappear as you power on/off the UA-5.

Your software will probably allow you to record in whatever bit depth you set...
  • 16 bit driver > 16 bit record setting - good
  • 16 bit driver > 24 bit record setting - you won't get the extra bits but no harm done - you're just wasting space
  • 24 bit driver > 16 bit record setting - bad - you're truncating 8 bits
  • 24bit driver > 24bit record setting - good
The bit meter in wavelab was helpful in determining the above.  That, autosplit and UV22HR are the only redeeming features in that silly program   :P

KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com