Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flying to shoreline furthur shows, how should i bring my gear on the plane  (Read 8648 times)

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
hey all,

My dad and I are flying to California for the shoreline furthur shows. We have never flown anywhere with our gear before, how is the best way to do this. I was thinking carrying on for our microphones, or should we check it?

I wanted to bring my laptop backpack with our mics, my r44, camcorder and laptop.

Anyway, here is what we would be bringing,

edirol r44
rc batteries for it
2 nak 100s, with cp4 shotgun caps
2 superlux cmh8k
h2
camcorder
camera
and mic stand

any thoughts would be helpful
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
The mic stand you should probably check in.  For the mics, recorders, cameras, etc (ie: anything that could easily be damaged) I wouldn't even consider going any route other than carrying them on the plane with you.

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
thanks for the tips :)
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=76790.0

This link as well as others have valuable info., especially concerning 'power supplies'...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:38:54 AM by jibooer »
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
The mic stand you should probably check in.  For the mics, recorders, cameras, etc (ie: anything that could easily be damaged) I wouldn't even consider going any route other than carrying them on the plane with you.

^ This pretty much sums it up.

Personally I just bring a clamp for Phish shows I fly to...usually there is another taper there that will let me clamp.  :P
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Personally I just bring a clamp for Phish shows I fly to...usually there is another taper there that will let me clamp.  :P

agreed. Unless its something obscure, I fly with clamps.

In addition to the comments in the two links, I recommend getting there 30 minutes earlier (you will be searched), and bring MSDS sheets for your batteries if at all possible. Last, make sure you know what the regs are for battery amounts (specifically lithium ion, although others wouldn't hurt to know). I actually have too much li-on to fly with now in my standard rig and have to pare it down to just what I absolutely need when I fly.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
Flew from Milwaukee to Dallas and back with my gear last month and carried it on and figured i would get stopped because of how the mics, tinyboxes, and wires look, nope, sailed right on through both ways.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
Flew from Milwaukee to Dallas and back with my gear last month and carried it on and figured i would get stopped because of how the mics, tinyboxes, and wires look, nope, sailed right on through both ways.

my 722 makes them wig out more then anything else I have. Before that, it was the busman stereo mic which looked like a pipebomb when xrayed but the fr2-le didn't bother them. It's strange what does it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
In addition to the comments in the two links, I recommend getting there 30 minutes earlier (you will be searched), and bring MSDS sheets for your batteries if at all possible. Last, make sure you know what the regs are for battery amounts (specifically lithium ion, although others wouldn't hurt to know). I actually have too much li-on to fly with now in my standard rig and have to pare it down to just what I absolutely need when I fly.

Does too much vary from airline-to-airline or is that more of a TSA regulation? I ask because the other two threads people were asking about specific airlines. What is TOO much? Can you check it in and still fly with it?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
When flying don't check anything you wouldn't be able to easily replace if they lost or missplaced your luggage. Especially if you are flying somewhere and planning to tape later on that day. Airlines do occasionally put luggage on the wrong flight and when they do it can take a number of hours before they find it and get it back to you. In the event of lost luggage, they are only liable up to a replacement value of $500  per bag so you definitely don't want to check any gear that costs more than $500.

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
When flying don't check anything you wouldn't be able to easily replace if they lost or missplaced your luggage. Especially if you are flying somewhere and planning to tape later on that day. Airlines do occasionally put luggage on the wrong flight and when they do it can take a number of hours before they find it and get it back to you. In the event of lost luggage, they are only liable up to a replacement value of $500  per bag so you definitely don't want to check any gear that costs more than $500.
thanks didn't know the $500 limit

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
I fly with my mics, cables, batteries, and preamp as carry on and if I bring a stand I check it.  I have found that if you find an old cardboard box that golf club drivers are shipped in, they fit mic stands perfectly and keep them from getting dinged up.  Usually sporting good stores will have some that clubs were shipped in and give them to you for free.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline page

• #TeamRetired

Does too much vary from airline-to-airline or is that more of a TSA regulation? I ask because the other two threads people were asking about specific airlines. What is TOO much? Can you check it in and still fly with it?

its a TSA reg. Read over the regs carefully as you can't check loose lithium anymore.

I vaguely remember being tipped off when I bought the 3450-10 battery extender, a little note came with it saying "both of these together do not exceed the TSA regulation blah blah blah" but I couldn't take anything else and the TSA folks had a debate as to whether the sony L batteries under the 722 counted against that total or not.

thanks didn't know the $500 limit

Also, getting them to pay up is a real bitch too.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)

Check with your airline as it varies from carrier to carrier. I have a Southwest flight tomorrow and I just checked their website, also read your carriers particlars about filing a claim:
Related Information
Liability:

Southwest Airlines' liability for lost, damaged, or delayed baggage is limited to $3,300.00 per fare-paying Customer.

Claims:

Damaged or lost baggage must be reported, in person, within four hours of Customer's arrival at destination.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com