Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure E3c or Etymotic ER-6?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline little birdie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Shure E3c or Etymotic ER-6?
« on: April 02, 2004, 04:02:24 PM »
I'm looking to invest in one of these models and I'm wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on which one would be better for personal use with an iPod and some small theater taping.  Also, does anyone know the best deals on these?  Lastly, do I need a headphone amp with these?

I'm a newbie around here so any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 04:12:39 PM by little birdie »

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Shure E3c or Etymotic ER-6?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 04:47:35 PM »
I recently ordered the shure e3cs. I really want the e5cs, but the pocket book isn't quite deep enough for those. I think between the e3c and the er-6 you would enjoy the shures better, but it was between the er-4 series it may be a different story as far as opinions go. And no you shouldn't need a headphone amp to power either of those as they dont require much.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 05:29:55 PM »
also should add to my post I have heard neither, just going with what I have read about them. I will be able to offer some sort of review on the shure e3cs next week.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline little birdie

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 05:32:08 PM »
I think I'm going to go with the er-6's.  Anyone know where I can get the best deal on these other than Ebay?

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 06:02:47 PM »
My e3c's should get here tomorrow (think they tried to deliver them today).  I was debating between the same two....ipodlounge.com has a TON of comparisons/reviews/opinions, etc.  My take is the ER-6 are more transparent and accurate, but the e3c's will give warmer, more livlier sound.  That's the overall impression I got from everything I read.  Shure has a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy, so you really can't go wrong giving them a try :)

J

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 06:07:57 PM »
oh, re: headphone amp.   With the iPod, you won't NEED it, but from everything I've read, it will definitely help out.  From what I've read, they both sound good without an external amp, but adding one will definitely make a noticable difference.  Again, ipodlounge has a lot of info on this.

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 12:52:46 AM »
I think I'm going to go with the er-6's.  Anyone know where I can get the best deal on these other than Ebay?

so which did you get? I saw in another post you said you got the e3cs?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 06:46:27 AM »
You will never really need a headphone amp but it will always make things sound better.
Mike

Offline little birdie

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 01:26:00 AM »

so which did you get? I saw in another post you said you got the e3cs?

I ended up going with the E3s.

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 11:05:51 AM »
what made you choose the Shure's?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 11:26:56 AM »
I've used the ER6's so I know they're in-ear 'phones.  The Shure's look more like ear-buds, instead of in-ear.  Can anyone who's worn them confirm whether the Shure's are in-ear or ear-buds?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 11:45:40 AM »
They are in-ear, but I haven't worn them.  Mine come today.  Most definitely in-ear, though, just like the e2's.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 04:50:30 PM »
Moot point since the purchase has been made I know, but in case anyone else had the same question, might as well give another opinion:

I'd recomend the Etys from personal experience. There are differences between the ER-4s and the ER-6s, but for the use with compressed audio on an ipod, its not worth the $200 price hike. Under other circumstances I'd say it was, but I'm content with the $98 I paid for my Etys as I use mine with an Ihp-120 while at work in a server room to cut the fan noise.

btw, I got mine at:
http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/eaandearbu.html

-- Page

*** Edit ***

This must be the thread of forgetfulness.
For headphone questions, I've always been partial to reading the reviews over at headfi (www.head-fi.org)

Shure E5c review/mod + compare w/ ER-4 & E3c:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63737

Etymotic ER-4 model + ER-6 compare:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37184

Etymotic ER-4 model compare:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1373
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 05:05:31 PM by saitoh »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 05:26:12 PM »
saitoh - you don't find the Ety's to be too revealing of the compressed audio? that's actually one of the reasons I went with the e3c's...I though the Ety's would be TOO transparent in that case.

I really should just head to GC or something and try them both out.  That's too much work, though :)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 05:11:27 AM »
saitoh - you don't find the Ety's to be too revealing of the compressed audio? that's actually one of the reasons I went with the e3c's...I though the Ety's would be TOO transparent in that case.

I really should just head to GC or something and try them both out.  That's too much work, though :)

Well, yes and no. In MP3 at >224kbit I can, and its irritating if I think about it. All of my stuff is in higher end OGG which I've tweaked and played with enough that I'm happy. Also, the ER-6s arnt as transparent as the ER-4 series which supposidly sounds so transparent that its uncanny. The ER-6's have a slight drive in the mid-freq, but thats very miniscue characteristic compared to issues other headphones have (such as the Graddos and their slightly cold sound if I remember correctly).

While I dont listen to everything on my ihp-120, its nice to have 19 days of non-repeating music with me... (atleast when traveling). My *only* gripe about my Ety's are that I can hear the power supply feedback at a constant low level volume independance of my music volume, at all times which sounds like faint RTR hiss... I've used my attenuator cable and cranked the volume up to normal/listenable, and while that solves it, it is a little *too* quiet. Considering a headphone amp to do it for me, but thats a different gripe. ^_-

-- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 12:02:12 PM »
Got my e3c's yesterday.  Like 'em, I think.  Out of my iPod, I find that snare drums sound kind of off.  Need to test that a little more. MP3s at VBR96-256 sound pretty good - can't obviously *hear* that they're mp3s.

I get the faint hiss from the iPod as well.  However, my powerbook is completely silent.  Gotta love sitting at work in an open room and not hear the typing, monitor buzz, or any of the arguing going on around me.

Page, are you using the triple-flange sleeves with the Ety's?  How do they compare to the others?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 01:25:30 PM »
I get the faint hiss from the iPod as well.  However, my powerbook is completely silent.  Gotta love sitting at work in an open room and not hear the typing, monitor buzz, or any of the arguing going on around me.

Page, are you using the triple-flange sleeves with the Ety's?  How do they compare to the others?

Double flange, but yes, I'm using those over the foam ones which I cant get into my ear. So atleast I'm not the only one who hears things with the power/noise, thought I was going mad there for a minute. I'm seriously debating a headamp so I can get the music out of the noise floor and then reduced to where I can listen to it. If that doesnt make sense, its cause I just got up.... ;-p

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 01:20:51 PM »
From techbargains.com, dunno if it's a deal or not:

Shure E3C Headphone Sale, Apr 8
Macresq has the Shure E3C Earphones Normally $179.99, take $20 off with Q-Pon code "X3C" Exp 4/15

Link
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 01:41:05 PM »
I was just about to post that link.  +t ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 02:43:02 PM »
I got $25 off from the earplugstore.com.  You have to email them for the special (they can't advertise lower than $179 I think), but it was $154 + 7.50 shipping, or something like that.

J

From techbargains.com, dunno if it's a deal or not:

Shure E3C Headphone Sale, Apr 8
Macresq has the Shure E3C Earphones Normally $179.99, take $20 off with Q-Pon code "X3C" Exp 4/15

Link

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com