Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best equipment for recording opera voices  (Read 2640 times)

Offline VerismoBari

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best equipment for recording opera voices
« on: December 25, 2005, 09:07:01 PM »
I am completely new to all of this and I am sure this has been asked before:

I have a very big voice and I have no idea what equipment I may need or what may be the best for recording it?  I would like something that does not take any of the formants out of the voice and that is as acurate as possible without being hugely expensive.  Thanks in advance.

RebelRebel

Re: Best equipment for recording opera voices
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 09:08:42 PM »
Hello, bud...

What is your budget, first of all??

We have a couple singers here...

« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 09:10:26 PM by Teddy »

RebelRebel

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 09:09:38 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=46.0

check out this thread as well.

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 09:13:39 PM »
So you have done Rigoletto or Eugene Onegin ??

I am completely new to all of this and I am sure this has been asked before:

I have a very big voice and I have no idea what equipment I may need or what may be the best for recording it?  I would like something that does not take any of the formants out of the voice and that is as acurate as possible without being hugely expensive.  Thanks in advance.

Offline VerismoBari

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 10:00:14 PM »
I have a budget of $300.00.
I have not done Rigoletto as of yet.  It is the most difficult role for the baritone.

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 10:04:49 PM »
I have a budget of $300.00.
I have not done Rigoletto as of yet.  It is the most difficult role for the baritone.

hmm...thats a pretty slim budget bud...

Id say save up at least 750-800 before I can suggest anything...1000 is better..

a decent pair of High SPL mics (needed for big voices) .the ones I was going to suggest are about 350 bucks...and a recorder (maudio microtracker) is another 3-400..

you could get the mics now and add the recorder later...a jb3 is another great choice as a recorder..they go for about 150-200 nowadays..(discontinued, but around)

Offline VerismoBari

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 10:13:13 PM »
OK, then can you suggest something at each of those price ranges?
If it is that much better I can save up the money.  How much difference does it make?  I know that maybe a stupid question, but as I said I am completely ignorant, but learning.

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 10:14:29 PM »
OK, then can you suggest something at each of those price ranges?
If it is that much better I can save up the money.  How much difference does it make?  I know that maybe a stupid question, but as I said I am completely ignorant, but learning.

send me an email to raytheapostle@yahoo.com 

and i will send you some documents. Did you find this site on NFCS or Classical Singer?

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 10:23:31 PM »
Hi there 

If you know of the nfcs.net site, there's a lot of singer-friendly information I put in the FAQ over there (much of it gleaned from discussions here and/or pointing to links which are "TS approved" :))  Far from exhaustive, but hopefully helpful:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/174559/message/1127138105/What+is+the+best+recording+device+to+buy-+%28updated+Dec+2005%29

http://www.network54.com/Forum/174559/message/1100702120/Recording+equipment+-+what+do+I+need-

Bottom line is that for recording a big voice IMO and experience the mics are going to be the most important part of your set up.  Fortunately,  there are quite a few relatively reasonably-priced mics which cope well with operatic sounds (and it's easier for men than women, simply because you're in a lower frequency - regardless of volume, this is usually easier for mics to handle). 

THAT SAID, I don't think you necessarily are going to need an $800 budget to start with. That would be ideal, but if you need to slim it down, it's do-able, particularly with Sound Professionals dropping the prices on a few of their AT-based mics.  You can probably do what you're hoping for about $300-400 if you're willing to go  2ndhand or refurbished on the recorder itself (such as Minidisc or JB3).

Shoot me a private message via this site and I'm happy to help any further if I can - I am but a lowly n00b and bow at the feet of the Recording Gurus of this site, but I'm a professional opera singer and have really fallen in love with taping so have been learning a lot along the way.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 12:16:07 AM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 10:24:43 PM »
Dont let Divamum fool you, shes a pro! ;D

Hi there 

If you know of the nfcs.net site, there's a lot of singer-friendly information I put in the FAQ over there (much of it gleaned from discussions here and/or pointing to links which are "TS approved" :))  Far from exhaustive, but hopefully helpful:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/174559/message/1127138105/What+is+the+best+recording+device+to+buy-+%28updated+Dec+2005%29

http://www.network54.com/Forum/174559/message/1100702120/Recording+equipment+-+what+do+I+need-

Shoot me a private message via this site and I'm happy to help any further if I can - I am but a lowly n00b and bow at the feet of the Recording Gurus of this site, but I'm a professional opera singer and have really fallen in love with taping so have been learning a lot along the way.

Bottom line is that for recording a big voice IMO and experience the mics are going to be the most important part of your set up.  Fortunately,  there are quite a few relatively reasonably-priced mics which cope well with operatic sounds (and it's easier for men than women, simply because you're in a lower frequency - regardless of volume, this is usually easier for mics to handle). 

Anyway, hope that helps for starters. 

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 10:38:51 PM »
Man! Those SP mics have really gone down..the CMC-8s were like twice that the last time I looked...!! :o

so 350 is a good budget...scratch the 800 comment.  :-[ I shouldve done my homework. :P
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 08:34:50 AM by Teddy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com