Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: budget home stereo solution  (Read 4502 times)

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
budget home stereo solution
« on: January 09, 2004, 11:30:22 AM »
Ok,
Now that I have got my car stereo squared away it is time to start thinking about a budget home audio solution.  I'll be moving out of the 'rents house this spring and my computer, even with my high quality Altec Lansing 5.1 system, just isn't cutting it for audio anymore.

I need to purchase speakers and a receiver and I promised my fiance I'd keep it < $1000.  I was thinking 300-400 on the receiver and the rest on speakers.  I already have a dvd/cd player.  I've never really purchased home audio equipment before, obviously I am looking for some sort of 5.1/6.1/7.1 solution with DTS, Dolby Digital, etc.  What are the things I should be looking for?

If anyone has any specific suggestions (or can point me to any good info sites), I'd be happy to hear them too.

Thanks.

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re:budget home stereo solution
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 11:42:51 AM »
I have a Denon AVR-1603 for sale if you're interested. Also some decent sony bookshelf speakers. Check Denon's website for the specs on the 1603 - it is 5.1, DD/DTS and more. The bookshelf speakers would make decent rear surrounds or could be used as fronts until you find the fronts you want.

This is definitely within your budget too. PM me if interested or with questions.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

DaryanLenz

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 11:44:04 AM »
Swans diva 4.1-best value I have heard!

Daryan

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »
Panasonic SA-XR45 receiver (not the XR25) $300

That leaves $700 for speakers.  I don't think I can recommend any 5.1 surround system at that price, maybe add $1k and you could do it.  You'd probably be better off sticking with just your front left & right for now, then add a sub and surround channels as your budget permits.

If you want the surround, one system you should look at for <$700 is the Hsu Ventriloquist VT-12 (www.hsustore.com/vt12.html).  The 5 sat's and center are $250, add one of their subs for another $300-400, and you still have some $ for cables.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »
Panasonic SA-XR45 receiver (not the XR25) $300

That leaves $700 for speakers.  I don't think I can recommend any 5.1 surround system at that price, maybe add $1k and you could do it.  You'd probably be better off sticking with just your front left & right for now, then add a sub and surround channels as your budget permits.

Fair enough.  What would you recommend in the way of just Front L and R speakers in that range?
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 03:12:02 PM »
Acoustic Engergy Evo3 and their sub/sat Aego 2.1 & 5.1 systems look nice, too.
(www.aslgroup.com/audiophile/pricelist.htm#ae)

Diva Swan (www.theaudioinsider.com)

Onix Rocket (www.av123.com)

Magneplanar MMG's (beware the small sweet spot, not ideal for home theater, IMO)
(www.magneplanar.com)

Axiom M40ti or M50ti (www.axiomaudio.com)

ACI Emerald (www.audioc.com)
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 03:30:28 PM »
Thanks Craig and everyone else, +T for all the help.  I'll definitely be checking out those links.
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 03:58:22 PM »
so why is it "obvious" that you'd want to go multi-channel?

I assume, like the rest of us, you listen to two channel recordings (primarily)?

you would be much better off with $1000 worth of two channel equipment vs. $1000 worth of 5.1.  
Youd be talking good entry level hi-fi on the two channel setup, vs. crap-fi multi-channel for this kind of money.

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 04:04:19 PM »
ditto what Nick just said...

also look into B&W's.. some good speakers in your price range.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 04:07:16 PM »
B&W's...great speakers and all, but I feel like the name carries them.  Especialy on their lower end stuff.  there are a lot of speaker brands out there that sound just as good at lower price points.  
Go out and listen!  
the buy used.

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 04:14:49 PM »
agree somewhat. For the lower end stuff I feel B&W torches Paradigm. When you start spending $1000 or more then your options open up.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 04:15:47 PM »
oh and I guess I should add that you can usually find B&W's to listen to before purchasing. A lot of these other speakers are hard to find...

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 04:26:30 PM »
so why is it "obvious" that you'd want to go multi-channel?

I assume, like the rest of us, you listen to two channel recordings (primarily)?

For audio yes, but I'd like to have the 5.1 for home theater reasons.  I'm a pretty big movie freak.

you would be much better off with $1000 worth of two channel equipment vs. $1000 worth of 5.1.  
Youd be talking good entry level hi-fi on the two channel setup, vs. crap-fi multi-channel for this kind of money.

I'm sure you're right, but I dunno when I'll be able to afford to do 5.1 "right".  It may be years down the line for me.
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 05:16:45 PM »
you can buy a crappy best buy 5.1 "all in one" setup for cheap that will scratch most peoples home theatre itch...
unless you ar one of those "vidiots"...
the home theatre equiv of an audiophile.

your money, so of course you can put it where you need it most.   I was just saying that for music, two channels is better, and the thead is " budget home stereo soulution", not "budget home theatre solution".

You can do 5.1 "right" with movies in mind and still stay cheap.  If you want 5.1 w/audio in mind, get ready to pay big money for something even remotely high-end.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2004, 05:24:53 PM »
Ascend Acoustics are some others.  For  $1500 you could probably get the Energy Take 5+2 system and a receiver.  I'd buy the receiver used if  were you as you just need DD and DTS for right now.
SC

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com