Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new pre...woohoo!  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
new pre...woohoo!
« on: January 20, 2004, 05:43:32 PM »
Alright, Tim's post about his new DAC motivated me to write this up.

My brand new Audio Experience Symphonies tube preamp arrived yesterday from Y-S Audio, picked up new via Ebay for $400 including shipping from Hong Kong.  As soon as I got home I opened up the Symphonies, put in the one tube they leave out of the innards during shipping, yanked out my old Rotel RTC-950AX preamp/tuner, and fired up the Symphonies.

COMPLETELY different sound.  Must've listened for a good 2-3 hours last night.  While still not burned in, I could easily tell how much I preferred the Symphonies to the RTC-950AX.  Relative to the RTC-950AX, the Symponies to my ears provides:
  • Far superior detail across the range.  I'm hearing details I've never heard before - much smoother attack, lengthier decay, much broader dynamics both at the micro and macro level.
  • Better bass.  My sub has absolutely come alive, delivering richer, deeper, meatier lows with greater definition than ever before.  The crossover between speakers and sub seems more integrated, too - not sure how to account for that, but my ears sure hear it.
  • Soundstage, soundstage, soundstage!!  The soundstage is a bit wider and allows easier identification of L/R separation and placement, but it is waaaaaay deeper than before allowing me to really place the instruments' depth within the space.
I'm stunned at what a difference this preamp has made.  Now I have to decide what's next - new power amp, subs, DAC, CD/DVD transport, or Maggie 1.6s.  Decisions, decisions.   8)

FWIW, my current playback setup:

Crappy Toshiba DVD/CD player (coax out)
Sony TA-E9000ES (coax in, acting as DAC; pre-outs to preamp)
Audio Experiences Symphonies preamp
Adcom GFA-555 power amp
Magnepan MMG (x 2)
Pinnacle Baby Boomer (dual bipolar drivers)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:new pre...woohoo!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 05:46:57 PM »
this is the same one that Nick had right? sounds really nice, great price too. Way to go Brian! +T
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 06:10:27 PM »
this is the same one that Nick had right? sounds really nice, great price too. Way to go Brian! +T

Yeah, same model Nick had, but not the same physical box.
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 06:33:31 PM »
brian - glad to hear you like the new pre so far, definately keep us posted after you've burned it in a bit.  i've been looking at the same preamp so i'd love to hear some more feedback on how it sounds with the mmgs.

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 06:38:46 PM »
brian - glad to hear you like the new pre so far, definately keep us posted after you've burned it in a bit.  i've been looking at the same preamp so i'd love to hear some more feedback on how it sounds with the mmgs.

Todd said you were interested, did ya pull the trigger?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 08:13:55 PM »
I've been looking into the Sonic Frontier tube DAC's ...  anyone heard it?
SC

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 08:18:32 PM »
I've been looking into the Sonic Frontier tube DAC's ...  anyone heard it?

Not me.  One of these days I'll get a better DAC, but for now it's a ways off.
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 08:21:51 PM »

i did, the check went out in the mail this morning.  the next step is to do some auditioning and find the preamp and power amp.  i have a funny feeling this might be an even more obsessive hobby than taping.  :)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 08:29:43 PM »
i just got a new pre and power amp and like brian, i'm having fun just listening.  even my old bookshelf tannoys are sounding better than i ever thought they could...now to find the right speakers to go with the gear....

this stuff is fun!

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 08:32:15 PM »

i did, the check went out in the mail this morning.  the next step is to do some auditioning and find the preamp and power amp.  i have a funny feeling this might be an even more obsessive hobby than taping.  :)

Awesome! Todd's a really good friend, he takes good care of his stuff... those speakers are really nice.

hopefully the DAC and Sub will keep me satisfied for awhile, this is certainly as addicting as  taping.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com