Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: video in's on a home stereo?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline cfbarlow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I can See Audio
video in's on a home stereo?
« on: February 04, 2004, 02:49:36 PM »
Why would you run the video out of a dvd player into the video in of the reciever, then out into the tv?  What does the reciever do?  It seems like just a waste of a cable, and a degradation of the signal.  Anyone know the answer?
Thanx :afro:

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
Re:video in's on a home stereo?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 03:01:16 PM »
the main reason would be video switching..  where you would run something like a dvd player and a cable box into your receiver then use the video out on the receiver into your tv or whatever so you can use the receiver to select the device you wish to view..  some (usually very expensive) home theatre processors do an equivalent to upsampling to the picture, but I don't know of any that do it in the <$10K price range
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 11:34:40 PM »
I run my DVD, Cable, VCR, & PSX to my TV thru a Sony receiver. I might be losing a small amount of signal quality going this route, however my TV doesn't have enough inputs for everything by themselves plus the receiver also controls all of the sound - speakers on the TV are disabled.
I'm willing to sacrafice the small amount of signal degredation for the convenience of it all...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline 1st set only

• Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:20:13 AM »
I think other than switching the amp also provides sync. I have been watching DVDs out of sync for a while now I think that is the problem. video source goes to tv audio goes to amp then to speakers. I hve been seeing things before i hear them. my amp only has composit inputs and rather use the s-vidieo than a dasy chained composit. I may be wrong but that is my take.
the show is over go home please.

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 01:50:20 PM »
I have a cheap setup with basic analog cable, but I run my VCR, Dreamcast and PS2 all through my Sony receiver, and then the out from my receiver couples with the out from the DVD player into the TV. So when the receiver is set to the DVD setting, and the DVD player is on, the audio is coming from the digital out > receiver, but the picture goes straight from the DVD player > TV.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com