Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audix Fusion 7 f15  (Read 1526 times)

Offline discopanic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Audix Fusion 7 f15
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »
Hello all, here is the deal.  I've been trying to make a decent recording from all around the room at State Theatre in Starkville, MS.  I generally either use the Schoeps mk4 or the mk41 caps.  It sounds like a hollow cave most throughout.  I'm thinking of trying my new drum mic condenser f15.  I haven't even hooked to pickup my cymbals yet on my set but just an idea.  What ya think?

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Audix Fusion 7 f15
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:29:41 PM »
I'm thinking of maybe using my new Peavey PV14 mixer to make a recording.  I'm thinking of running mk4(ortf)>kc5>cmc6 + f10(120 deg. xy) + f15(olsen) > pv14 > hd-p2
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:11:45 PM by discopanic1 »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »
Depending on your location, I think MK4s ORTF (17cm, 110º) + F10 (0cm, 120º) would capture a fair amount of reverberant sound, i.e. more of the "hollow cave" sound than might be desirable.

If the venue sounds like a hollow, boomy cave, but you don't want your recording to sound hollow and boomy (or if you at least want to minimize the hollow and boomy sound), you might consider ways to maximize the direct and minimize the reverberant sound you record.  The more reverbant sound you capture, the boomier and more hollow the recording will sound.  The more direct sound you capture, the less hollow and boomy it will sound.  Any ambient recording, generally, will capture both, but you want to maximize direct and minimize reverberant.  Any one or more of the following might help:

<1>  move the recording location closer to the source
<2>  use a tighter polar pattern
<3>  reduce the stereophonic recording angle of your mic configuration(s) (See sticky in the Mics & Setup forum for a link to Williams' Stereophonic Zoom.)

I don't know if <1> is possible (and I'm not sure what you mean by "make a decent recording from all around the room").  You have the gear to achieve <2> by running MK41s instead of MK4s.  And <3> would require reducing the included angle between your mics and potentially increasing the spacing at the same time to control the amount of stereo separation you desire.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »
I setup my mics as follows at the front of stage:

Left - f10(xy 120deg.) 1' high + Center - f15(xy 90deg.) at 1 1/2' high + Right - MK4>KC5>CMC6(ortf) at 4 1/2' > Peavey PV14 > Tascam HD-P2(24/96)

I'm not sure if because of the diff. heights of the mics or other reasons but my recording came to be louder on the right speaker.  I will try a diff. approach on the next attempt.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:15:50 PM by discopanic1 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com