Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: bag recommendation  (Read 9338 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
bag recommendation
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:12:40 AM »
looking for advice on a bag for travelling. i have lots of little doodads amassing now....

sony m10, a few 2.5" external drives, littlebox, mini mic cases, cellphone, full size headphones.

this looked about the right size to me...

http://www.petrolbags.com/product/1015395.1008306.0.0.0/PS607/_/Deca_Mixer_Bag_for_Sound_Devices

maybe something a little bit smaller.

but if anyone has ideas let me know. i like something with lots of little internal padded pockets.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Re: bag recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »
for the money you might want to look at the Lowepro series of bags http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Camera,20.htm

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »
looking for advice on a bag for travelling. i have lots of little doodads amassing now....

sony m10, a few 2.5" external drives, littlebox, mini mic cases, cellphone, full size headphones.

http://www.petrolbags.com/product/1015395.1008306.0.0.0/PS607/_/Deca_Mixer_Bag_for_Sound_Devices

but if anyone has ideas let me know. i like something with lots of little internal padded pockets.

Petrol bags are my favorite.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »
The only thing I don't like about petrols are the clear covers, they don't make a complete seal all the way around.  They only velcro at the top and bottom, otherwise they are alomst perfect for what we do.  I have a 3 shelf sonicase which to me is awesome.  I wish I would have purchased the 4 shelf, but i like how the bag seals up compared to the others on the market, its large enough for what I need and with a little organizational skill you would be amazed what I get in my 3 shelf bag.  I agree with others as well Lowpro's are nice too.  I have a buddy who uses Lowpro and loves them...

ook
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »
PortaBrace makes some real nice bags too, although the prices have been climbing up on them the last few years and they've instilled MAP Pricing now too so deals are difficult to find.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:16:40 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »
The only thing I don't like about petrols are the clear covers, they don't make a complete seal all the way around.  They only velcro at the top and bottom, otherwise they are alomst perfect for what we do.

QFT and is why I went with the Kata Sundo-1. FWIW, I think it's hands down better for what we do than anything made by PortaBrace, Petrol, Gator, etc. Not many bags audio bags are designed like the Sundo.

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
The only thing I don't like about petrols are the clear covers, they don't make a complete seal all the way around.  They only velcro at the top and bottom, otherwise they are alomst perfect for what we do.

QFT and is why I went with the Kata Sundo-1. FWIW, I think it's hands down better for what we do than anything made by PortaBrace, Petrol, Gator, etc. Not many bags audio bags are designed like the Sundo.

I, also, have the Kata Sundo-1 and would recommend it.  See through top that zips up.  I little more expensive then I remember, but I bought mine 5 years ago.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/202780-REG/Kata_KT_VD_130_1_SunDo_1_Audio_Operational_Case.html

Offline tapernateva

• LOOKING DOWN FROM OUTER SPACE
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Tapernate...doesn't advertise
    • db.etree.org/tapernate
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »

Petrol bags are my favorite.
Everybody's got a little karma to pay!

Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
Neumann ak50 > lc3 > km100>sd442>sd744t
4 channels of Neumann bliss

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »

I, also, have the Kata Sundo-1 and would recommend it.  See through top that zips up.  I little more expensive then I remember, but I bought mine 5 years ago.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/202780-REG/Kata_KT_VD_130_1_SunDo_1_Audio_Operational_Case.html

x3 on the Sundo.  The bag is not cheap, but it is fantastic for what we do.  Easy to rearrange dividers and very, very waterproof. I have used mine in a downpour with a trash bag to keep the base from getting wet and had no issues.  100% sealed top with clear panel for viewing.  I would never get rid of mine. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
I tried portabrace, kata, petrol, and nothing worked for me with the Mytek like the LowePro magnum 200

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »
I have a Soniccase for my taping gear and love it.  I also bought a Crumpler bag for my photo kit and love that too ( it's waterproof). I think that a Crumpler may work for your application because they have lots of adjustable padded dividers for holding stuff of odd sizes.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »

x3 on the Sundo.  The bag is not cheap, but it is fantastic for what we do.  Easy to rearrange dividers and very, very waterproof. I have used mine in a downpour with a trash bag to keep the base from getting wet and had no issues.  100% sealed top with clear panel for viewing.  I would never get rid of mine.

If memory serves me correct, your Kata (while full of gear) also took the full brunt of a spilled Cosmopolitan without a single leak. ;D  Amazing bags.

That said, if Kata isn't in your budget I'd fully echo the recommendation for Lowepro bags.  Love mine and it's great for my needs.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
I have a Soniccase for my taping gear and love it.  I also bought a Crumpler bag for my photo kit and love that too ( it's waterproof). I think that a Crumpler may work for your application because they have lots of adjustable padded dividers for holding stuff of odd sizes.

I have three Crumpler bags and they are great.  Truly waterproof (even in the Netherlands) and really well made.  I use one, a small camera bag, for my small set-up (the other two are a laptop bag, which is excellent, and a commuter bag).  I am searching for a bigger taping bag and have kind of considered going with Crumpler again, but I like the looks and features of some of the real audio bags.  Kind of hard to get an impression of size from the web, though.  That SunDo-1, for example, looks awesome but I get the impression it is quite large?  I couldn't find exterior dimensions listed anywhere...

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 03:49:18 AM »
Are sonicases only available used nowadays?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com