Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stack taping: should i? what other alternative?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
stack taping: should i? what other alternative?
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:46:44 AM »
hey folks,

i've another noobish question for y'all.

i'm hitting up a john mayer + band gig tonight.

i'm sitting second-row centre.

From previous experience @ this venue there's no way i'm gonna be able to plant a stand anywhere that'll even get close to blocking any part of anyone's view, so i figure i'll need to set up my stand elsewhere.

Where should I tape from/what config?

I've taped A-B from the end of the second row previously (see green arrows) - but the venue usually runs a stereo mix so the balance is off and more than a little bassy.

See my sig for my gear - all cards all the time (unless by a small miracle some at853 omni caps arrive in the mail tomorrow).

I figure I might try to clamping one rig to the balcony (yellow arrow) - but that has come out bassy in the past.

I've taped head height from centre (blue arrow) in a respectful audience (sigur ros) before and it sounds damn fine. But I've got 2nd row seats so I don't really wanna trade that far back to tape a bunch of sobbing mayer fan-girls.

The sbd is way the hell @ the back of the room/under the balcony so 'tis pretty much useless.

Also, I haven't really left my rigs unattended at gigs before.  Any advice?  Should I/shouldn't I?

Anywas, I'll stop rambling. Any advice, as always, would be appreciated.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: stack taping: should i? what other alternative?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:38:21 AM »
I'd either wear the mics in your current seats if it's not too close (based on previous experience in the venue), or trade for seats farther back in a better sounding position.  What's more important - oggling over JM while he drips sweat on you and makes googly-moogly eyes at you (he's playing for this one for -you-, baby!), or making a nice recording?  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 04:09:23 PM »
ah...i forgot to mention one important (pita) part of the equation. My seat partner - a good friend of mine (tho I hate to admit it given the following), who:

a) paid for the tix
b) is a notorious sing-along type
c) would be offended if i sat elsewhere or asked her to trade back
d) will be trying at every opportunity to have eye-sex with mayer tonight (not really relevant to taping...but oh so vomit-inducing to watch)

yup...its gonna be a fun night. :-/

i owe her big tho (long story) so even given those 'limitations' I want to try to get the best recording i can for her.

so i suspect if i run head height within about 50ft of her (or probably any of the other teenage princesses in the first few rows for that matter) I'll get nothin but screams, sobs and off-key caterwauling.

come to think of it, there's about 6 ft between the front row barrier and the stage lip.  I wonder if I could clamp to that barrier and run an extension out to like a foot in front of the fills? I've been told in the past @ this venue that I can't clamp to the stage lip, so I wonder if security'll let me do that...  :hmmm:
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 08:15:16 PM »
i've found that taping <5 row center can lead to having tapes with low vocals.  ymmv

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 06:56:24 PM »
wear mics and ask friend not to sing along if she would like a nice recording.  ;D
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:48:52 PM »
I'd either wear the mics in your current seats if it's not too close (based on previous experience in the venue), or trade for seats farther back in a better sounding position.  What's more important - oggling over JM while he drips sweat on you and makes googly-moogly eyes at you (he's playing for this one for -you-, baby!), or making a nice recording?  :P

Yet another TS.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com