Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Onstage M/S question...  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Onstage M/S question...
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
I am decoding an onstage m/s tape, playing around with different ratios and having some problems.  First of all, the band is the Benevento/Russo duo, and their stage setup is exactly as shown in my avatar to the left.  The m/s stand was set up DFC between the keys and drumset, about 3-4' back. 

I realize that m/s is completely different than a conventional stereo pattern, and is primarily used for mixing to mono, but the two sound sources (keys and drums) seem to drift between right/left after I decode the signals.  One song will have the "correct" placement, while the next will be reversed, and sometimes it just sounds very "mono" with little separation at all.

I can't figure out whether this is a problem with my decoding, or simply a matter of bleed from the monitors or mains.  Both are very possible at this point, and it's frustrating!  I have worked with m/s before but not too much, so any help would be appreciated!

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
Re: Onstage M/S question...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »
I would guess that you have a good amount of monitor bleed from one side to the other in such a small space.  I do like to mix on the fly just cause its easier, but have mixed a few times in post.  What I've found is that changing the percentage of mid to side in an up close situation can be swayed a lot by the volume of the channel.  Typically, even with the gain the same on the mid and the side, the side picks up a lot less "volume".

Maybe adding a little gain to the side channel before you mix down will give you more pleasing results.
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)
------------------------------------------------------

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com