Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163700 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #330 on: March 25, 2016, 04:44:20 PM »
What value of mic sens. did you dial to?

Maybe bump the sens. up a notch, and bring the pots back to 12 o'clock next time..?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »

Maybe bump the sens. up a notch, and bring the pots back to 12 o'clock next time..?

outer knobs were cranked to about 3'oclock.  just couldn't get the levels high enough.  they never got to -6db.

inner knobs were pinched back to 9'oclock.  i talked to doug oade about it and he said that clipping in the circuitry can happen without showing on the screen.  weird.

something else last night...  i couldn't get a digi signal in on my 1 and 2 channels from my V3.  thought it might be a bad cable.

took my gear to a friend's house and we started going through menus with his R-44.  realized that his was in master and mine was in slave from the last time we taped together, daisy chaining the units for 8 channels...  apparently you can't use digi in when in slave mode. 

who knew...?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline SoundlyAsleep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2016, 08:19:17 PM »
Hey everybody.

I'm a film student with an R-44, and I've been a big fan of it so far. It far exceeds the quality of recorder available to me from the University's store room, which is anemic in terms of selection to say the least.

I'm not a sound guy, but I really appreciate how good sound is vital in film work, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can to make smart moves with my next few purchases.

Most importantly right now I'm thinking about a separate pre-amp. While the pre-amps in the R-44 are respectable, I've heard great things about the Sound Devices MM-1. I understand it'd need to be run into the R-44 at line level? I'm not too sure but I've read just setting the outer knob at 1 (furthest left) is the equivalent. If I was to get an MM-1 at some point, I wouldn't run into any compatibility issues with the R-44 right?

I'm also thinking of getting some kind of wireless boom set-up going on, because ideally, I want the boom operator mostly autonomous from the sound recordist and to reduce cabling issues. I've got a Rycote G5 boom pole with an integrated XLR.

So my ideal set up (if possible) would look like:

Boom Operator
Microphone (Audix SCX1 HC or something)
G5 Boom
MM-1
Wireless transmitter

Sound Recordist
Wireless Receiver
R-44

This isn't just some crazy pipe-dream, right? All of this should be possible, but I'm not an expert. I'm also thinking about adding a wireless lav system into the mix, but I've very unfamiliar with those.

So yeah, some guidance would be really appreciated.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #333 on: May 02, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »
I would think it would be better to put the preamp between the wireless receiver and the R-44. I think the wireless is supposed to work with mic levels, not line levels but I could be wrong.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2016, 09:20:13 AM »
I see the levels peak around -6 or -3 and the "1L" lights up like it clipped. But it wasn't near zero. Then the "1R" did the same thing.  They both went on and off for a bit then stopped.

Can the chip think it's clipping if the levels don't show it near zero?

outer knobs were cranked to about 3'oclock.  just couldn't get the levels high enough.  they never got to -6db.

inner knobs were pinched back to 9'oclock.  i talked to doug oade about it and he said that clipping in the circuitry can happen without showing on the screen.  weird.

The easy answer is to leave the small inner knobs at 12:00.

The outer knobs control the gain of the analog input stage. The inner knobs control a digital gain stage which follows, and is intended for fine trim adjustments only.  The meters follow both gain adjustment stages.  If the inner knobs are set lower than 12:00, the analog input stage can overload and clip even though the meters are not peaking and won't show that behavior.  That's because the digital gain stage is attenuating the already clipped signal before it is displayed on the meters.  The flashing channel number lights indicate that the analog input stage is clipping, even if the meter shows lower levels due to the attenuation of the digital gain stage controlled by the inner knobs.  If you see the channel numbers flash, you have analog stage clipping happening and need to turn down the outer knobs, turning down the inner knobs will not help.

If you leave the inner knobs at 12:00 then the meters pretty much accurately reflect the peak levels through the entire chain within the recorder.  With the inner knobs set further counter-clockwise than 12:00, the signal level through the analog stage is higher than what is indicated on the meters.  If the inner knobs are set further clockwise than 12:00 the signal level through the analog stage is lower than what is indicated on the meters.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SoundlyAsleep

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #335 on: May 02, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »
I would think it would be better to put the preamp between the wireless receiver and the R-44. I think the wireless is supposed to work with mic levels, not line levels but I could be wrong.
I'm mostly basing my model on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7hOldBoD2M

No idea if it'd work in actuality with an R-44, but I guess that's why I came here.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #336 on: May 02, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
I'm mostly basing my model on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7hOldBoD2M

No idea if it'd work in actuality with an R-44, but I guess that's why I came here.

The pad cable wasn't mentioned before but is there do deal with the problem I saw.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline SoundlyAsleep

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #337 on: May 09, 2016, 07:19:47 AM »

The pad cable wasn't mentioned before but is there do deal with the problem I saw.
Do you know where I could find an appropriate pad cable?

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #338 on: July 27, 2016, 08:20:05 PM »
I'm sure I can look this up but I'm at a show and don't want to fiddle with it....

Is there a way to turn off the display screen while recording?

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #339 on: July 27, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »
I'm sure I can look this up but I'm at a show and don't want to fiddle with it....

Is there a way to turn off the display screen while recording?

Black tape

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline achalsey

« Reply #340 on: July 27, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »
Ah, okay.  Thanks.  My first time running the r44 and thought I'd seen people turn theirs off in the past, but I guess I was  mistaken.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #341 on: July 27, 2016, 11:51:22 PM »
You can dim the display, but I haven't figured a way to shut it off.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »
You can dim the display, but I haven't figured a way to shut it off.

I haven't run mine in months but I though you had menu options for the display, off, a few seconds then off and always on.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline achalsey

« Reply #343 on: November 03, 2016, 08:46:47 PM »
What does the 'check card' option do?  Right under the format option.  I pressed it assuming it would show the data on the card but it just said 'processing' for a while and went back to the main screen.

I have a few sets I haven't transferred to my computer yet, hoping it doesn't affect those...

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #344 on: December 05, 2016, 03:42:15 PM »
I've never sync'd two R-44, but I recall something about digital-in being unavailable on the 2nd when set to 'slave' mode.  That would make logical sense if the 2nd is actually clock-syncing to the 'master' recorder through the sync-jack (which has never been firmly established or refuted), rather than via S/PDIF (which definitely clock-syncs, yet dedicates the digital audio input to whatever is providing S/PDIF clock to it).

Just a quick update to last page's question and gutbucket's response.

I'm a little late.

Last night I had both R44s and the acmV3 out. I had given up on syncing when using the digital signal, but on a whim brought a small patch cord for the 1/8" jack. Setting the 1st R44 to master and digital/analog it took the feed from the V3 in channels 1 & 2 and the powered mics in 3 & 4. Setting the 2nd R44 to slave it powered 4 mics and synched up, started and stopped and recorded with the master's controls. The power must be on for both units. The master wouldn't start up the slave, but as long as it was on, it did everything right. Best recorder ever, just bulky!

And
once again, lost in all the noise

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com