Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: From WL183 to DPA 4060 - how much of a change will it be?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline oivindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
From WL183 to DPA 4060 - how much of a change will it be?
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:10:21 AM »
I am currently using a couple of Shure WL183s with my Edirol R09, and, considering the cost and their size, I'm pretty happy with them.

However, I just can't shake that DPA 4060 feeling. They're gonna cost me, though.

I basically use my mics for effects recording and field recording (not so much the quiet sort, but it happens).

How much of a difference will a pair of DPA 4060s mean for my recordings? Anyone have experience with both pairs of mics?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: From WL183 to DPA 4060 - how much of a change will it be?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »
Good question, I've wondered too. I absolutely love 4060's with the DPA MMA6000 preamp into the R09, use them all the time for both very loud and quiet field recordings as well as music with both limited and big dynamics, and have never once regretted the purchase.  If you are recording quiet things I'd recommend the 4060's over the 4061's for their lower self noise.  I also have a single WL183 buried somewhere from my college days 20 years ago but I haven't used it since then, primarily because I only have one so I can't use it for stereo.  I've never run it into the R09, only an old Yamaha 4-track back in the day. 

The recordings I make now are orders of magnitude better, but the equipment is totally different, what I'm recording is totally different and I am totally different.  Not much help I guess, curious to hear others experiences.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com