Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omni placement?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Omni placement?
« on: March 10, 2003, 04:13:53 PM »
I just purchased a pair of omni caps for my Gefells and have never used an omni microphone before, except for my Core Sounds.  I thought it would be fun to play around with them.  I am just looking for some tips on placement, location, when I should or should not use them, and stuff like that.

Some specific taping situations that are coming up are the Panic shows at Alltel in April and GOTV this summer.  Would the omnis work well in the section at Alltel?  How should I use them at a open field type situation like at GOTV?  What height should I have them at?

Any help on these questions is much appreciated!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:Omni placement?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 05:56:32 PM »
good info, I too plan to get some omni caps when I can get the money together.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
Re:Omni placement?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 06:27:30 PM »
I just purchased a pair of omni caps for my Gefells and have never used an omni microphone before, except for my Core Sounds.  I thought it would be fun to play around with them.  I am just looking for some tips on placement, location, when I should or should not use them, and stuff like that.

Some specific taping situations that are coming up are the Panic shows at Alltel in April and GOTV this summer.  Would the omnis work well in the section at Alltel?  How should I use them at a open field type situation like at GOTV?  What height should I have them at?

Any help on these questions is much appreciated!

jamie,

you should have absolutely no problem at all running spaced Omnis at GOTV.  the taping atmosphere there is very relaxed, (although they don't appreciate anyone going FOB).  but this is not a problem, as the OTS is basically 'anywhere you want to run' even with the SBD and back.  first come, first served sito.  front of SBD enclosure is appx. 30 yards from stage.

i would suggest getting down to the field early each day, and setting up even with the leading edge of the SBD enclosure.  you'll need 2 stands, of course.  spread to your liking.  i would guess the SBD area to be appx. 50' wide.  don't know if you've seen pics of the event in recent years, but i can supply some if need be.

the stacks are not that high, they sit right on the stage, so judging height will be a gametime decision on your part.  the best part of GOTV is the crowd.  they generally are an older/ more experienced bunch.  familiar w/ taping and all that goes with that.  suffice to say that the FOB crowd will not be a HUGE factor, noise wise, or awareness wise, all things considered.  i would guess 2 stands/ 8' high or so would do a guy well.

if you have any doubts as to cable length, i have a pair of 20' Star Quads, and a pair of 20' Audio Magics i could let you have for this event.  i don't use these cables anymore, so it's not a problem to mail 'em out to ya for extra peace of mind if you think you might need 'em.  would be no rush on getting these back, etc.

hope this helps...

peace

~S

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com