Gear / Technical Help > Photo / Video Recording

First time DSLR purchase

(1/3) > >>

ycoop:
My partner wants to start taking photos with something real, not just her phone camera. I have been tasked with finding her something to work with. Craigslist has a number of options at a range of prices. I want folks’ input as to what sort of budget is needed to get something worthwhile, as well as what sort of considerations should be taken into account.

jerryfreak:

--- Quote from: ycoop on June 03, 2019, 12:26:10 AM ---My partner wants to start taking photos with something real, not just her phone camera. I have been tasked with finding her something to work with. Craigslist has a number of options at a range of prices. I want folks’ input as to what sort of budget is needed to get something worthwhile, as well as what sort of considerations should be taken into account.

--- End quote ---

im not the biggest camera guy but the $300ish 2016ish eos rebel i bought use is still a screamin deal imo

beatkilla:
You also need to consider the cost of the lens and what focal range you’ll need.

The body is much less important than the lens similar to how the mics for recording are more important than the deck.

If lowlight is part of your requirements than you’ll need a fast lens which cost money.

JimmieC:

--- Quote from: beatkilla on June 03, 2019, 07:23:20 AM ---You also need to consider the cost of the lens and what focal range you’ll need.

The body is much less important than the lens similar to how the mics for recording are more important than the deck.

If lowlight is part of your requirements than you’ll need a fast lens which cost money.

--- End quote ---

That is what I have been reading too.  I'm still looking for the perfect lens.  When you say "fast lens" is that the smaller F value?

I like that you can get image stabilization on the lens instead of the camera.

jerryfreak:
it also came with multiple lenses for that price. camera aficionados are jsut like us - always blowing out perfectly good modern gear for the sake of the latest and greatest

you buying a new top of the line camera to start would be like a noob buying a SD scorpio out of the gate

--- Quote from: jerryfreak on June 03, 2019, 01:48:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: ycoop on June 03, 2019, 12:26:10 AM ---My partner wants to start taking photos with something real, not just her phone camera. I have been tasked with finding her something to work with. Craigslist has a number of options at a range of prices. I want folks’ input as to what sort of budget is needed to get something worthwhile, as well as what sort of considerations should be taken into account.

--- End quote ---

im not the biggest camera guy but the $300ish 2016ish eos rebel i bought use is still a screamin deal imo

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version