Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam Portacapture X8  (Read 18158 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Tascam Portacapture X8
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2022, 01:42:45 AM »
Tascam released firmware 1.20 last week.  It enables timecode, clearing up the mystery reports I got (see above) from loading files into iZotope Rx, no longer get error messages but haven't tried any timecode systems.  They claim: "Support has been added for wireless timecode synchronized recording with Atomos Pty Ltd’s AtomX SYNC, UltraSync BLUE and other compatible products such as ATOMOS CONNECT and SHOGUN CONNECT. Video and audio files recorded with timecode data on multiple devices using synchronized recording can be aligned easily on editing software."

The hum lines (now at 36.5 kHz and 73 kHz) are almost gone on the left channel internal mics but still present on the right, will test with external mics later. 

Jeff

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2022, 02:14:29 PM »
Tascam released firmware 1.20 last week.  It enables timecode, clearing up the mystery reports I got (see above) from loading files into iZotope Rx, no longer get error messages but haven't tried any timecode systems.  They claim: "Support has been added for wireless timecode synchronized recording with Atomos Pty Ltd’s AtomX SYNC, UltraSync BLUE and other compatible products such as ATOMOS CONNECT and SHOGUN CONNECT. Video and audio files recorded with timecode data on multiple devices using synchronized recording can be aligned easily on editing software."

The hum lines (now at 36.5 kHz and 73 kHz) are almost gone on the left channel internal mics but still present on the right, will test with external mics later. 

Jeff

Still no way to record 6 external sources, right? Using the side 1/8" input bypasses the 3/4 combo inputs on the side still?
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2022, 02:56:23 PM »
The "built-in mics" (channels 1&2) can be removed and 1/8" plug-in mics used there (or a single 1/8" stereo plug with the correct cable to split L/R).

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2022, 03:22:21 PM »
Yeah, I don't think the plug-in power was defeatable.

I wanted basically a more advanced Zoom H6 where I could put six external line inputs. X8 just wasn't that.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Blakeq

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2022, 10:45:49 PM »
Any other recent updates from users of this thing? 

The reported noise and the fact that it is not a true 6 channel recorder are bummers.

See that another firmware has been released with the following updates:

Firmware V1.30
Audio interface functions now support the 32 bit float format.
The 32 bit float function, which enables the preservation of audio resolution even after adjusting levels, can now also be used when recording to a DAW using this unit as an audio interface.
Note: For use with Windows, download the latest ASIO driver (V1.10).
The USB MIX MINUS function can now be used in the PODCAST app.
This can suppress the occurrence of echoes in audio from remote participants when capturing podcasts.
INPUT SETTINGS, including for the low-cut filter, compressor, limiter, auto gain control, noise gate and other effect functions can now be saved in up to 3 presets and loaded in each recording app.
Unit settings and recording app settings can now be saved in up to 3 USER SETTINGS and recalled with a single tap from the LAUNCHER screen.
The start up time has been shortened.
Operation stability has been improved in other ways.

Offline metro_cubo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2023, 02:50:37 PM »
Nice comparison video (Tascam vs Zoom)

ldb

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2023, 09:30:14 AM »
At risk of posting something already posted - (it's 1.30am here, I need to sleep not read!) - here's a really interesting teardown of the innards of the X8.  Essential viewing by owners and prospective owners.  No mention of the HF hum / RF breakthrough issue though.

https://youtu.be/ryWlHvm3rk4

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2023, 01:21:06 PM »
@Ozpeter

Thank you for that link. Very interesting and a bit surprising that he didn’t know of Asahi Kasei. :)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2023, 10:24:26 PM »
Not sure if everyone has seen this, the X6..... smaller (better to stealth?) and the only thing I really noticed, is the XLR inputs lack 1/4" and there is no 192k in 32 bit float
https://tascam.com/us/product/portacapture_x6/top

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com