Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR Adapters for DPA's 3-pin LEMO (Sennheiser wireless style) ?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
XLR Adapters for DPA's 3-pin LEMO (Sennheiser wireless style) ?
« on: February 07, 2022, 07:14:27 PM »
I can get some DPA 4060/4061 that have 3-pin LEMO connectors for Sennheiser wireless bodypacks.  Depending on the venue I want to be able to connect 1-4 of these mics to XLR inputs on my MixPre-6 (48v) or MixPre-D (12v).

I see a lot of adapters for Microdot (that also step the power down from 48v or 12v to more like 6v), but none for DPA/Sennheiser 3-pin LEMO...   This must be a standard part/problem though, since industry uses Sennheiser lavs + bodypacks? 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 07:34:24 PM by SMsound »
waves -> bits

Offline jazzunit

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Regular

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: XLR Adapters for DPA's 3-pin LEMO (Sennheiser wireless style) ?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 11:16:17 PM »
Is this what you're looking for:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/798302-REG/Sennheiser_MZA900P_4_MZA900P_4_In_Line_Preamplifier.html

That's exactly it. Unfortunately it's ~$200/mic... Is there no $30 solution?  It surprises me, as the whole film industry uses Senn LEMO, and the whole audio industry + a lot of filming boom mics use XLR.
waves -> bits

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 09:54:31 AM »
The miniature DPA's are two wire mics which connect via signal + / bias power (5-10V) on one wire, ground / shield on the other.   Not sure what happens on the 3-wire Senn transmitter side, but pin-out details are here:  https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/how-to-properly-attach-a-dpa-microphone-to-a-wireless-transmitter

Requirements for an XLR adapter are reduction of phantom power voltage to the bias power expected by the microphone AND provision of the appropriate adaptive wiring.  Alternately, a 2-wire battery box or preamp may be used to power the microphone with 5-9V, connecting to the recorder via whatever scheme the recorder uses for an unbalanced input.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 12:35:08 PM »
Does anybody make a miniature power supply for the 4061s with microdots? I have a Church Audio pre/power, but looking for something even smaller that just powers these.

On another note, I'm assuming the PIP on a recorder like the Sony A10 or M10 will not provide enough power if one were to be able to fashion a Microsoft to 1/8 cable. Just looking to reduce gear to a minimum.

Cheers!
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 01:06:24 PM »
Typical solution is a short "Y" adapter between the mics and battery box.

Most often that's a 2 X microdot > stereo 1/8 TRS "Y" adapter into a small battery box with a mini-jack input.

Yes, most PIP voltage direct from a recorder will be too low.  Might work, might not.  If it does sensitivity and max SPL will likely be reduced somewhat and distortion increased.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 09:33:29 PM »
Rather than take a risk on possibly damaging your mics, I recommend that you contact Jon at Naiant to have him build you a custom set of PFAs. He and I had detailed correspondence which included me measuring the internal resistance of the mics before building what I needed. My 4061s are TA4 (Shure) terminated.
https://naiant.com/custom_audio_reproduction_equipment/product_spec/pfa-specification/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 10:32:17 AM »
^Those work great with a recorder that provides balanced inputs and phantom power.  I use six Naiant PFA's for powering miniature DPAs. I have them setup as 3 pairs, each pair sharing a locking TA3 mini-XLR connector (they were originally setup for stereo minijack input).  When plugging the adapters directly into the recorder, I like that the Naiant PFAs use a short wire lead from connector to PFA rather than a hard-mounted connection on the adapter itself.  I also use DPA DAD6001 microdot>XLR adapters, however those work best along with a short XLR interconnect between them and recorder input because the microdot connection is rigidly mounted on the adapter, making the connection vulnerable if the adapter is plugged straight into the recorder.  Gain through the Naiant PFAs is slightly different than through DAD6001.  Naiant PFAs have an active gain stage and can provide positive gain if you want.  I asked Jon to set mine for unity gain, however the levels through them are still somewhat different through the DAD6001.  Sound through either is identical as far as I can tell.

Jon has also made PIP powering devices in the past for use into recorders without phantom or sufficient PIP, but you'd have to check if he currently offers one.

I can get some DPA 4060/4061 that have 3-pin LEMO connectors for Sennheiser wireless bodypacks.  Depending on the venue I want to be able to connect 1-4 of these mics to XLR inputs on my MixPre-6 (48v) or MixPre-D (12v).

I see a lot of adapters for Microdot (that also step the power down from 48v or 12v to more like 6v), but none for DPA/Sennheiser 3-pin LEMO...   This must be a standard part/problem though, since industry uses Sennheiser lavs + bodypacks? 

Here is the DPA Sennheiser 3-pin Lemo to microdot adapter: https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/adapter-for-sennheiser-sk-50-250-3063-5012-6000-9000
^
As far as I know, that is a straight-wire adapter.  I've not used those adapters, but it looks like its use into DAD6001 will require either a microdot barrel connector (in combination with a short XLR interconnect from to avoid the resulting rigidly connected assembly from sticking out the side of the recorder), or a short interconnect with female microdots on both ends. With multiple microphone that can end up being a somewhat costly arrangement. 

If Jon can make you PFAs with 3-pin Lemo input that may be the most attractive option.

Offline hobbes4444

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 11:02:00 PM »
Typical solution is a short "Y" adapter between the mics and battery box.

Most often that's a 2 X microdot > stereo 1/8 TRS "Y" adapter into a small battery box with a mini-jack input.

Yes, most PIP voltage direct from a recorder will be too low.  Might work, might not.  If it does sensitivity and max SPL will likely be reduced somewhat and distortion increased.

Does someone make a Y adapter, Microdots to 1/8? Where can I buy one??
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 11:40:50 AM »
DPA does not offer one. Can you solder?  If so, or if you have someone that can do so for you, its pretty easy to make your own. Otherwise you might find something on Ebay.

To make your own, this is the easiest route-
1) Order a short microdot interconnect cable with female microdots (10-32 size) installed on both ends.
2) Order a stereo-mini TRS plug (1/8" / 3.5mm), either straight or right-angled.
3) Cut the female microdot terminated interconnect cable in half, strip back the wire jackets and prepare both wires for soldering.
4) Solder the two wires to the stereo-mini plug (Left center conductor to Tip, Right center conductor to Ring, both shields to Sleeve).

You can source 10-32 microdot terminated interconnect cables from CDINT.com (as well as other places).  Here is a link to a 1 foot cable with female 10.32 microdots on both ends-
https://www.cdint.com/catalog/model/MFMF-174TPR-1

It is possible to cut the existing termination off the permanently attached DPA microphone cable and re-terminate it directly to a 1/8"/3.5mm stereo-miniplug or your stereo connector of choice.  However, the center conductor in permanently attached DPA microphone cable is super tiny, and its a real PITA to solder without burning it up or breaking it.  These cables from CDINT have a thicker, much easier to solder center conductor.

CDINT may offer Lemo terminations that could be directly attached to the existing Lemo terminations on the micrphones you have. If so you will need to contact them to make sure they can be wired with the same pin assignment as the Lemos on the micrphones.

Offline hobbes4444

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 06:48:39 PM »
Unfortunately, no I cannot solder. No tools, no experience, no clue, and not very steady hands. So definitely looking for someone to assist... :help:

DPA does not offer one. Can you solder?  If so, or if you have someone that can do so for you, its pretty easy to make your own. Otherwise you might find something on Ebay.

To make your own, this is the easiest route-
1) Order a short microdot interconnect cable with female microdots (10-32 size) installed on both ends.
2) Order a stereo-mini TRS plug (1/8" / 3.5mm), either straight or right-angled.
3) Cut the female microdot terminated interconnect cable in half, strip back the wire jackets and prepare both wires for soldering.
4) Solder the two wires to the stereo-mini plug (Left center conductor to Tip, Right center conductor to Ring, both shields to Sleeve).

You can source 10-32 microdot terminated interconnect cables from CDINT.com (as well as other places).  Here is a link to a 1 foot cable with female 10.32 microdots on both ends-
https://www.cdint.com/catalog/model/MFMF-174TPR-1

It is possible to cut the existing termination off the permanently attached DPA microphone cable and re-terminate it directly to a 1/8"/3.5mm stereo-miniplug or your stereo connector of choice.  However, the center conductor in permanently attached DPA microphone cable is super tiny, and its a real PITA to solder without burning it up or breaking it.  These cables from CDINT have a thicker, much easier to solder center conductor.

CDINT may offer Lemo terminations that could be directly attached to the existing Lemo terminations on the micrphones you have. If so you will need to contact them to make sure they can be wired with the same pin assignment as the Lemos on the micrphones.
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2022, 09:17:53 PM »
This could still be an option-

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.177 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com