Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Impact of marginal batteries?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline loughney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
Impact of marginal batteries?
« on: January 07, 2023, 08:12:03 PM »
Back in November, I taped a show and when I opened the file at home, I noticed that the wave form started to become unequal, see attached image, with the red box indicating the area that I am talking about.  On Jan 1st, I taped the same band, same venue, same recording location and didn't have the issue.  I did change my battery box battery, and now just checked the old battery and the battery meter shows that the power level is marginal.  I'm assuming that is the source of the problem.  Anyone else have this type of experience or know if my hunch is the right one?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Impact of marginal batteries?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 09:15:21 PM »
Yep, definitely could be due to a low battery issue.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 11:25:12 PM »
I have absolutely had that happen to me — sometimes one channel gradually drops, then the other.

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 12:07:07 PM »
Looks right. My MixPre would have a lower signal when the batteries were giving out.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 03:15:08 PM »
Sure thing. Used the Beyer MV100 for many years on two alkaline 9-volt cells, and after about 5 hours powering the KM140 pair, this was the risk.
I never made it past approximately 5.5 hours with useful output, unless I changed the batteries.
As the voltage drops, the gain gets lower and lower until you can't hear the signal from the noise!
Note also on your graphic that the positive excursions of peaks are less affected by the loss than the negative excursions.
The MV100 did this as voltage dropped.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 03:17:00 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 04:46:18 AM »
Whenever anything affects the positive-going part of a waveform differently from the negative-going part, that's non-linear distortion (in addition to the change in overall gain / signal levels). So even if you process this recording to even out the levels, the character of the sound may become somewhat different in the part where the gain is fading.

But maybe it won't be much of a difference, since any given amount of distortion on changing musical waveforms is generally much harder to discern than distortion on pure sine waves, depending on a whole host of factors. It's an audiophile myth that musical signals are a more sensitive test for distortion; experimentally it can be shown that that belief is way, way wrong. And personally I only hear distortion on pure sine waves when the THD is greater than one or two per cent. (A power amplifier with a burnt-out output transistor can be a useful learning tool sometimes.)
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com