Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

overdriven recordings/how to configure this?

DAT/Giant squid omnis trouble
1 (50%)
DAT configuration?
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Giant Squid Omnis/ DAT configuration?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline defdoubt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Giant Squid Omnis/ DAT configuration?
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:15:01 AM »
 ;D

Hi everybody,

I'm new here,I need some help because I have problems with Giant squid omnis...

I've been recording lots of shows using an old Sony ECM-MS 907 for years,and I decided to buy Giant Squid omnis+Batt.box...because they were small and seemed to sound good/honest price

I've always had trouble with them....

I tried to record a loud band last year in Paris (deftones),using the same levels as with my old sony mic (around -12  db)and the same input (mic)and the result was horrible....very very very overdriven all the show long,except between the songs (clapping)

I believed it was because I had no battery box...so I bought one

I decided to record with very small level and the problem was not resolved, there are some overdrive,less but always...I presume these mics are very sensitive,but please which  set up must I use with these mics?I love recording in front of stacks or near the soundoard cage...

I tried to use them recording thru the 'line in' input,with a very very small recording level,and the sound is ,very tiny,inaudible....I transferred the show using a 7 pin to caox cable,I did some Equ/Volume in soundforge,and there is finally a lot of hiss because of the very small recording level...and it is not listenable...

I don't manage to find the answer alone,and I've already wasted  5 shows....so if anybody can help (line to use?rec. levels?location?any advice) It would be great

cheers :)

thanks in advance for helping

Offline symon

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Giant Squid Omnis/ DAT configuration?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:38:23 AM »
I think you just need to experiment with the levels using line in.
I use a D7 and set my master level at about 6 or 7 now, depending on how loud the gig is.
I would imagine that if you are standing in front of a stack, you will probably be OK with levels set at about 5 or 6. It's all a matter of experimentation. Good luck.

My main advice would be to sontinue using line-in just increase your levels.

dorrcoq

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:24:45 PM »
you might check your bass roll-off settings on the battery box as well

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 06:44:03 PM »
You need to run line in with the -20 attenuation on the input if you are running at a loud show.  Otherwise, you'll "brick wall" on any of the Sony DATs.  In general, if you are adjusting your volume knob to a setting below 5 in order to keep from digital clipping, you'll be overloading your front end amp with too much signal from your mics.  That means you need to add som attenuation to the front end of your recording path to reduce that signal going into the front end amplifiers.  When your input signal is small enough, then you should be running your volume knob somewhere in the 5 to 10 range.  Again, I'm assuming that you are using a Sony DAT, but you may get similar effects on other brands of DAT recorder too.  Sony is notoriously bad about this.

For more information, search the TapersSection forums for "brick walling" or "brickwalling" or "brick-walling".
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 02:50:46 AM »
You need to run line in with the -20 attenuation on the input if you are running at a loud show.  Otherwise, you'll "brick wall" on any of the Sony DATs. 

This shouldn't be the case if you're plugged into the "line-in" input.

I'd agree with Symon - it sounds like you just need to up your recording levels. I'd recommend trying to get to a gig where you can tape openly so you can play around with your levels and position in the room.

FWIW, here are the mics I have used line-in with my D8 and a rough idea of where I had the gain dial:

-ECM-717: 10
-CSB: 7-9
-DPA 4060: 6-9

If my peaks are between -12 and -1 on the D8's meter, I'm happy...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:28:18 AM by yousef »
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:34:17 AM »

This shouldn't be the case if you're plugged into the "line-in" input.

Yes it will be the case if you are running Giant Squid mics.  They are considerably hotter than your CSBs.  At least the ones I have are.  If you are at a very loud show, it's very easy to overload the front end.

The key thing here is that when you get your levels adjusted to be at -3 dB peaks, your volume knob should be at 5 or above.  If it is not, then you will have problems unless you add attenuation in the front end of the recorder.  Pay attention to this one thing and you will have no problems.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 08:04:03 AM »

Yes it will be the case if you are running Giant Squid mics.  They are considerably hotter than your CSBs.  At least the ones I have are. 

Sorry - I didn't realize that.

As I understand it, 'brickwalling' refers to a mic signal being too hot for the recorder's input/pre-amp and hence distortion will always be present regardless of how the recorder's levels are set. So this chap doesn't seem to be suffering from brickwalling when going line-in as he doesn't report distortion, just a "very tiny" signal - so I'd just whack the levels up.

Of course, when an audible signal has actually been commited to tape, it may well reveal that brickwalling was occuring...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 12:13:02 PM »

Yes it will be the case if you are running Giant Squid mics.  They are considerably hotter than your CSBs.  At least the ones I have are. 

Sorry - I didn't realize that.

As I understand it, 'brickwalling' refers to a mic signal being too hot for the recorder's input/pre-amp and hence distortion will always be present regardless of how the recorder's levels are set. So this chap doesn't seem to be suffering from brickwalling when going line-in as he doesn't report distortion, just a "very tiny" signal - so I'd just whack the levels up.

Of course, when an audible signal has actually been commited to tape, it may well reveal that brickwalling was occuring...

The other problem could be that the mics simply can not handle the SPL.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com