Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: n00b here, looking for quick advice on NV-GS280 settings  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
n00b here, looking for quick advice on NV-GS280 settings
« on: June 04, 2008, 04:56:47 PM »
Got a Panasonic NV-GS280 from Ebay (was a good bargain) to shoot open video with. Its my first camcorder so I'm not sure about everything.

I've done some testing with the settings but it confuses me more. I was told to use 'indoor' setting on white balance but when I use it at home it makes it look 'too white' in my opinion.

I'm also not sure on the other settings. Can anyone offer some advice on what good settings to use for filming concerts?

Thanks,
Simon.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: n00b here, looking for quick advice on NV-GS280 settings
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:58:04 PM »
White balance lets the camera know what true white is allowing for more accurate reproduction of all colors.  To set it you can buy a professional type meter to use or be ghetto and use a piece of plain white paper.  Set the white sheet in front of the camera about 6 inches away so the camera is only seeing the white but you're allowing the white source to be lit by the lighting you'll be shooting in.  You'll either want to leave it on auto white balance or set it manually.  Don't use any of those presets.  I've never found a situation where they really do any good.

The gain and shutter settings should be self-explanatory.  The more gain you use the more grain you'll get in your image but in a dark enviornment like that you won't get anything if you don't use gain.  The Panasonic cameras will suffer some in low light because of the small size of the CCD's but you'll get the same thing with any consumer grade camera.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that with the white balance.  +t

Shutter speed is at 1/50 at the moment but when I change it the picture gets worse, so I've kept it at that.

Whats the gain all about? Is that the ISIS thing?

Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com