Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Vark Bar/Shure A53m question  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Vark Bar/Shure A53m question
« on: November 20, 2008, 07:13:19 PM »
I have a Shure donut, but no Kwon bars for my actives. I was playing around with the donut & the Vark Extension post the other day, and realized it fits in there perfectly. So I'm thinking if I  could find something that was threaded at both ends, I could buy a second Vark bar, and then connect them, and stick my Schoeps clips on the end & end up with a quasi-Kwon bar with adjustable angles for use with the donut. Finding something that fits the bill has proved somewhat troublesome though. Anyone know if this would work?

http://www.pivotlok.com/ProductsAdapters.html

# 1325105 – 3/4" x 2" Threaded Adapter – Used to connect PivotLok accessories or your own to the PivotLok PL 325.

Description: 3/4" dia. x 2" with 3/4-16 x 5/8" male thread both ends 1/2-13 female threads on one end and 3/8-16 female threads other end. Material is steel with a black oxide finish.
$10.25 ea.

Picture below in case that description was confusing....
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Vark Bar/Shure A53m question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 07:22:44 PM »
fifteen bucks and twenty minutes at your local machine shop should do the trick!  Get to know one if you don't already, they come in handy all the time.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
keep us posted on what you come up with!
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »
fifteen bucks and twenty minutes at your local machine shop should do the trick!  Get to know one if you don't already, they come in handy all the time.

You think they could do this kind of thing? I don't even know where to start looking. I googled 'Boston machine shop' and got very confused. :lol:

The other thing I was thinking that would work with just a single Vark would be some kind of adapter that was 5/8" male on one side & 3/8" male on the other side. You could just stick the adapter in the end of the Vark extension bar, then place the Vark spacer on one end to get just enough width.

Damn it, you wouldn't think these things would be this elusive.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »
absolutely.  I am a little spoiled cause my father in law owns one but anytime I need an adapter or something I just tell him what it should do, he takes some measurements, and fifteen minutes later a little tape saving chunk of metal pops out. Try a tech school maybe?  Boston has to have something.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:16:47 AM »
Does your father in law want to whip me up a stud with 5/8" male threads on both ends?

;)

Seriously, if he does, or knows someone in the area who could/would, let me know.

Another option, and $4.00 at that!

http://www.equipmentemporium.com/MicSupport.htm

This looks pretty perfect actually. Just use the one on the left as a coupler.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:27:11 AM »
I have a Shure donut, but no Kwon bars for my actives. I was playing around with the donut & the Vark Extension post the other day, and realized it fits in there perfectly. So I'm thinking if I  could find something that was threaded at both ends, I could buy a second Vark bar, and then connect them, and stick my Schoeps clips on the end & end up with a quasi-Kwon bar with adjustable angles for use with the donut.

The Vark Bar + Shure A53M allows for swift and easy setup of coincident and near-coincident configurations with adjustable angles.  Like this.  If you're wanting to accomplish something different than pictured, I think I'm not following what it is you're trying to accomplish.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »
I have a Shure donut, but no Kwon bars for my actives. I was playing around with the donut & the Vark Extension post the other day, and realized it fits in there perfectly. So I'm thinking if I  could find something that was threaded at both ends, I could buy a second Vark bar, and then connect them, and stick my Schoeps clips on the end & end up with a quasi-Kwon bar with adjustable angles for use with the donut.

The Vark Bar + Shure A53M allows for swift and easy setup of coincident and near-coincident configurations with adjustable angles.  Like this.  If you're wanting to accomplish something different than pictured, I think I'm not following what it is you're trying to accomplish.

What you pictured would work fine, but I want something that looks a little slicker, and offers a little more spacing than the Vark. I figure if I can get 2 vark extensions & spacers, and somehow couple them together into a single bar ~ 7" long with 3/8" threads on the end, I can stick the Schoeps clips on the end, and slide the whole thing through the donut. The picture I posted is half of what I picture the final product looking like.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:12:23 PM »
I think the Vark Bar is mighty slick for coincident and near-coincident.  But I hear you on wanting more spacing.  Five options come to mind:

<1>  buy or make a different top-plate(s) that offer greater spacing option(s)
This option probably requires custom machining, which may or may not prove a PITA.

<2>  buy a 2nd Vark bar and attach two top plates together to achieve greater spacing
This is probably the best non-Kwonbar option, even though it's not as "slick" as a Kwonbar.  Imagine a standard Vark bar, as pictured here.  Remove the vertical support bar, connect two of the drilled top-plates together using the standard hardware (i.e. the 2nd top plate screws onto the 3/8" thread onto which one would normally screw on the mic clip), and re-attach the vertical support bar at the new center of the combined top plate.  You can achieve different spacing by either <1> attaching the top plates with overlapping holes, or <2> move the mic clips from one hole to another.  This is the easiest way to accomplish your goal using 2 Vark bars, but perhaps not "slick" enough.

<3>  combine more than one Vark bar rod (either with off-the-shelf or custom-machined adapters)
This sounds quite easy, but is more difficult than one might initially imagine.  Connecting all the bits and pieces is pretty straightforward.*  The problem lies in orienting the mic clips in the same plane.  For example, after screwing all the bits and pieces together, and holding the bar horizontally:  one mic clip might be aligned vertically (in which case the mic capsule would point upwards or downwards), the other might be aligned horizontally (in which case the mic capsule would point forward or back).  To align them, you could loosen one, but it won't be secure.

The resolution (and this is where it gets a little ugly):  locking (or jam) nuts.  Two options:  <1>  in one of the connection joints, you need to install 2 locking nuts - one to lock each "end" of the bar independently, or <2> install a locking nut on each end before the mic clip.  Two problems in case <1>:  <a> most of these thread adapters do not have sufficient thread depth to accommodate one (much less 2) locking nuts + whatever else is attached to them in the chain, and <b> the locking nuts can only be placed into connection points that fall outside the shockmount area.  In case <2>, there's only one problem:  the 3/8" thread adapters to which you attach the mic clips generaly don't have sufficient thread depth to accommodate a locking nut.

<4>  Just buy a Kwonbar, already
This is probably the road I'd take.

<5>  Use a different mount altogether.  I used to use an AKG KM235 bar + 2 shockmounts + my caps.  But the extra spacing isn't huge in this case.  So I even went so far as to sometimes use 2 AKG KM235 bars connected end-to-end for additional spacing.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »
So I'll update this properly with pictures & what not in a little while, but this works perfectly......

Vark extension + 5/8" male to 3/8" female adapter + Vark bar extension + Schoeps clips = variable space & angle Kwon style bar.

And in weirder news- the 2nd Vark I got from Posthorn is different than my first one. It's slightly larger & thicker, and the corners are not rounded down.

My LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com